“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hostal El Momento

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Hostal El Momento
You added Hostal El Momento to your Saves list
104 Calle el Arsenal, Granada 0010, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #9 of 54 Granada B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

This is one of those rare occasions where I cannot agree with the positive reviews here.

I think we were unlucky to get the room directly next to the staff kitchen which meant that there was not much privacy and no natural light. I suppose the other rooms are nicer.
The common areas of the hostel are ok (not as pretty as the photos suggest), but the guests keep themselves to themselves. I wonder if that is because of all the rules - we definitely felt like we weren't able to really relax and enjoy the place.

There is a general sense of mistrust towards the guests and everything must be paid for in advance. You even have to pay a fee of 5 USD to hire a towel. I'm not used to this from other hotels and hostels and I didn't like the fact that we were presented with a set of rules at check-in that we had to read and agree to there and then. Not a nice way to arrive after hours and hours of traveling! I hate being treated like some disobedient teenager.

None of the staff were welcoming. No eye contact or a simple "hello" from any of them. This attitude is really letting the place down and this is why I wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2014
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Well we are equally disappointed to here about your stay also, the natural light in your room is something we just recently made a little better with a taller window but we are looking into other ideas and it is why this room is a cheaper price.

Your dislike of the common areas was a surprise for us because of the amount of positive reviews from both locals and guests but it was not to your taste I guess.
We are not sure what rules you meant in the common areas as there are none and you did not mention that staff bothered you during your stay.
My staff have since mentioned to me that you were on property very little and they did not see much of you until late at night. They said they interacted more with your husband who was a very pleasant person so they are very confused with your review regarding them.

Just to clarify that we do not have a hire fee for towels, it is a deposit only and we are sorry if you felt we mistrust you, in the first 2 weeks open we had no deposit for the towels and 4 were stolen, 2yrs later and no towels have been stolen, guests can spoil it for other guests, we just simply want to keep the towels.

The check-in procedure contains some conditions but mostly suggestions for the guest which includes pay for the room in the morning for that night which is very normal in hostels or pay for all nights if you wish which is choice by the guest. We ask to pay before because we have had guests forgetting to pay and leaving. The signing procedure is so we have the correct amount of nights the guest asked for and we have not made a mistake.
Also we make the guest aware that we take bookings online just in case they want another night and we are fully booked.

I will be speaking with the staff but again this is an area we get nothing but compliments either by mouth to me personally or in reviews so I am very very surprised by this and only the 2nd time in over 2yrs.
I did see by your reviews that there were other establishments that had great reviews but not so by you and sometimes it is managing expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed at this hostel for the first night of a stay in granada but moved to a different hostel the next day as I found it to be quite unsociable for a solo traveller like myself. Maybe it was just the people there at the time but everyone kept themselves to themselves in various parts of the courtyard. The staff were very friendly and gave a great tour of the place and services (iPads to use in reception is a great touch) but they annoyingly kept moving my bags and belongings off the bed and into the middle of the room in cages- apparently due to a fear over a bed bug reinfestation. I think they had also just repainted too and the dorm felt v clinical, almost hospital like. Definitely better places in the city!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Well part of your review we feel you have answered yourself, the night you were here in November when it is still slow season the hostel was running at 60% occupancy.
To say the hostel is anti-social and the guests kept to the themselves is not the fault of the hostel and you answered it yourself by saying it would have been the guests at the time and there were not as many as usual due to slow season.

Regarding the removal of your bag from on top of the bed is to stop our beds from being infested with bedbugs (nothing to do with reinfested) as most guests have no idea if they have them and this how they travel from hotel to hotel. We do ask this from the guests when they check-in and we have received many compliments on informing our guests of this and having backpack holders and lockers for the guests to put their luggage.
I have seen reviews from other hotels were guests have written that the owners do not care about bedbugs, we are trying to be proactive but it seems in this case we cannot win.
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed in this great hostel for two nights in December 2013. Our room was big, beautifully decorated and clean with shared bathrooms just next door. The room had two fans and was cool enough during the night. The location was great just next to the central park. The rooms are definitely terrific value and the price was actually very cheap considering the location of the hostel.

The staff was friendly but we had some small problems. They promised to book us a tour (to Masaya volcano) which for some reason they did not do, even when we asked about the situation several times during the day (and they always told us they will do it, but for some reason didn’t). Finally in the evening we realized that they will not book the tour for us and rushed to a tour agency in town just before it closed. We found this very strange and just to make sure also booked our airport transport elsewhere even when it was more expensive this way. Maybe they had a good reason for this, but it would be nice if they would have just told us in the morning that it is not possible for them to book us the tour, we could have done it by ourselves.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This location has a nice courtyard area and friendly/helpful staff. The bathrooms where kept clean, although there was often no toilet paper or soap. Although the property has an overall nice appearance, the communal kitchen area when we were there was dismal and disappointing.

Room Tip: We reserved a private room, unfortunately the room we were placed in was tucked in the back next to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
We were unhappy and surprised to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, some of your problems we have addressed already, others no which I will explain below.

Regarding soap you were given 2 bars on arrival in your room but we could have given more if you had asked.

I did not understand your comment on the kitchen area as you said when you were here it was disappointing, if it was the size then this is difficult to get around, due to the property being owned by someone else.

To get into the high wooden beams in your room you were correct and we did need to get a stepladder so for this we do apologise for any dust high up and we would have been happy to do it whilst you were here, as you mentioned the bathrooms are clean and we want the rest of the hostel to be also.

Regarding the toilet paper, every night the staff and we the 2 owners refill the bathrooms with new rolls and then again in the morning the staff do the same. How many times did this actually happen, everyday or just the once which meant 6 members of staff all forgetting on a daily basis.

Regarding the restaurant/staff kitchen we are open (7.30-10.30am and 12-8.30pm).
We had a group of veterinarians who come once a year and we have the kitchen open for them 30 mins early which only happens for 4 days of the year as they need to get out early and help the animals in Granada. I had approached and apologized to you both for this as I always do when the group are here but you seemed to be completely ok with it and not bothered as the group were here for 2 days out of your 4. Those 2 mornings I was the first staff member in the kitchen and it was 15 mins before 7am not 6am.
In the evening there were no priorities for the group and we never take orders after 8.30pm and the kitchen is locked by security at 9.15pm so I do not understand why you said we are cooking at midnight, we do not have kitchen staff on property after 9-9.15pm.
I and my staff find it strange that you said staff were cooking at this time, we have had no complaints about this before or since you left and it was not our staff cooking for guests this is impossible.

Some of your complaints in my eyes are very serious if true and ones we have not received before, I have had meetings with all my staff to decipher what actually happened and I am nowhere nearer to finding the truth as they too know what our policies are.
I am sure when guests write reviews they would like to think that the owners listen and act upon their complaints and not respond to a review with excuses but if I am receiving information with some truths or some half truths or some exaggerated 2 weeks after a guests stay then it is very difficult to act upon it.

You mentioned how nice the staff were and how clean the bathrooms were which makes me ask even more why you did not approach us at the time, it would have made your stay more comfortable and my management as an owner easier in finding out the truth and dealing with it there and then.
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed here over Christmas and wish I had had more time there. Chris and all his staff are super friendly and knowledgeable and really make you feel safe and welcome. The garden patio is also a great place to hang out for a drink or dinner. Really good value too.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
HostalElMomento, Owner at Hostal El Momento, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
It was a pleasure to have you staying with us and we always try our very best to take and pass on what we know so thank you for this comment. We try to keep our prices down and we do get many comments on this because of what we offer and our location.
Hope to see you again.
Merced, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My brother and I stayed here our first time in Nicaragua and we really didn't know what to expect. It was a great place! Right away you notice how comfortable and cozy the place is, with bright colors, comfortable places to sit, and an outdoor patio in the middle. The staff was super friendly, spoke perfect English, and gave great recommendations on where to go and walk at night. The were always willing to help and able to answer any questions, it was very nice.
We stayed in the dorms which were very clean and comfortable. There were also two iPads and a shelf of books in the lobby, so you could never get bored. It was in a great location and just a great place to be for a few days =)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We had a great time at Hostal El Momento. The reception guy was very helpful and informative. I appreciated the warnings on the doors about thefts in the city. They were very helpful about tips when walking around to avoid any problems. In the lobby there was a computer and two iPads to use. We had a private room off the kitchen. It was clean, a decent size and was good value for the price. I loved the actual hostel itself. It was a funky place with a beautiful courtyard in the middle. Staff were all friendly. I would recommend to anyone travelling to Granada!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hostal El Momento? Share your experiences!