“We enjoyed our stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Charly's Bar, Restaurant & Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Charly's Bar, Restaurant & Guesthouse
You added Charly's Bar, Restaurant & Guesthouse to your Saves list
De Petronic 4c oeste, 25 vrs Sur, Granada 00000, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #11 of 48 Granada B&B and Inns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“We enjoyed our stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

First of all, Charly's guest house is in a barrio in Granada compared to many other hotels and guest houses in the city, which gives you a chance to experience a bit of local culture while having a secure place of good value to sleep. Charly has been in the community for over 30 years and is very much a part of it, which one can see the way he interacts with the local people. If you read the newspaper articles on his restaurant-walls you get a good picture of it.

Second, the guesthouse is unpretentious, and simply cozy. We paid $50 for the night and we had everything we needed in the room; the room was spacious, had a double & a single bed with good sturdy mattresses, hot water, and was air-conditioned. Outside there was plenty of space to sit surrounded by greenery and serenaded by a happy parakeet. The Husky lying around also was awfully cute and friendly.

There was a table with attached benches to have your breakfast in the morning or drinks in the evening. Charly also had a set up with his neighbor to have overnight visitors park their cars in the neighbor's backyard, which was locked at night.

We found staying at Charly's guesthouse gave us best of all worlds: early evening sightseeing on a horse carriage, drinks at a bar in the city, a very German dinner with German beer & good conversation, and then a nice quiet evening in the neighborhood.
Ein rundum gelungener Abend!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Canas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Charly is German and it shows, in a good way! Germans are known worldwide for perfection and Charly is no exception. We wanted to stay overnight but ended up staying 3, which would have been more if we had not been under time constraints. All rooms are air-conditioned and have en-suite bathroom. Charly and his wife Maria Elena made us feel very welcome, the interior is like a German Pub and serves great food. Expectations where high when we ordered a proper German Schnitzel and Charly didn't disappoint! Even on the cook's day off they served us meals! Can't recommend them highly enough.
Secure motorcycle parking is available inside the complex. For cars and larger motorhomes he has a secure gated compound across the street. The city centre is a short walk, or a 1 dollar taxi-ride away.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Huacas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

If there were 2 more stars for a rating I would give them to Charly's.

I had booked a bus trip to Granada for April back in January, and researched hotels, hostels and guesthouses which were close, but not in the center of all of the tourist activities. I came upon Charly's as a good location with a restaurant on-site as a good option.

After I arrived at the bus station, it was only a 5 block walk to the guesthouse and the terminal agent was quick to give me the easy directions. This set well with me since once the name Charly's was mentioned, he was quick to smile and knew it well. Arriving at Charly's I rang the doorbell and was greeted by Charly's wife, whose English was challenged by her Spanish, but we made the check-in swiftly. Charly himself showed me to my room which was well equipped with A/C, TV, comfortable beds and chairs and a quaint bathroom. I also had wi-fi access throughout the Inn and restaurant. There is a common patio area with cool breezes flowing and wonderful natural trees shading it. You also get to meet the resident Siberian Husky who is beautiful, and the pet parrot who is quite talkative. This is a great place to read a book, or just relax.

The restaurant and bar are very rustic with a hint of local flora throughout. Charly offers the only draft beer in Granada along with a wonderful selection of international brews and a fully stocked bar. Charly's menu, which he prepares for you himself, is diverse including local fare, traditional barbecue, German dishes, an the unique (Venison and "Rodent"). During my stay, I sampled one of every genre (including the "rodent" which I highly recommend) and can easily say I left the dinner table well-fed with my taste buds well satisfied. Of particular note, I highly recommend Charly's German potato salad, which reminded me of my mother's from years ago, and his sauerkraut, which is just the right blend of sweet and sour.

Charly, himself, is a great conversationalist and very knowledgeable about the history and traditions of Granada, and always greets his guests by their first names. It truly makes you feel welcome and a part of the family. Even though this Inn only has three rooms, the other guests interact with each other sharing the day's plans or reviewing the previous day's activities. Again, lending to the family atmosphere.

I made this trip by myself this time, but plan on returning to Granada with my wife in July. Our choice of accommodations is a no-brainer - we will be staying at Charly's (although my wife will pass on the "rodent". Thank you Charly for making this a memorable experience.

Room Tip: The Inn is only a 15 minute walk from Parque Central, but bring walking shoes.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Eschborn, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

My wife and I spent a week at Charly's guesthouse and used it ase a home base to do day-trips around the Granada area from there. Charly's guesthouse offers a better standard than most hotels we got to know in Nicaragua on our trip. His rooms are very clean, with air conditioning, hot and cold water in bathroom and shower, and serviced daily. The prices are low for what you get. The area is quiet and you can park your car safely in the neighbor's yard or in Charly's garage.
From Charly's guesthouse we took day trips to Masaya, the Laguna de Apoyo, the Islettas, the Mombacho vulcano, the beach in Casares and to Niquinohomo, the birthplace of Sandino.
Charly got stuck in Nicaragua sometime in the 80s, during the heydays of the Sandinista Revolution, has married a Nicaraguan lady and has a daughter.
He can tell you a lot about the country, places to go like hotels and beaches all over Nicaragua. He has connections and phone numbers of some places we went that he recommended to us. Charly is the Captain of the Granada Fire Brigade (Bomberos de Granada) and also the head of the Twin-City-Organisation of Granada and Frankfurt (Germany). We got the impression that almost everyone in Granada knows him.
We left Charly after one week and then travelled around Nicaragua. On our last three days in Nicaragua at the end of our trip we went back to him to finish our trip with some quiet days off in Granada.
We will be there again, for sure.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Couldn´t review just the restaurant here (we didn´t actually stay here) but I thought it deserved a good review just for the quality of the food and beer.
$7 will get you a large excellent meal. For $10 you get a huge excellent meal. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Charly's Bar, Restaurant & Guesthouse? Share your experiences!