“Amazing place, delicious food, soulful owner..” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 112 Restaurants in Granada
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: German, International, Eclectic
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Doing business, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Amazing place, delicious food, soulful owner..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Very nice place in a historical town. The food is one of a kind and the owner a wonderful person and great cook!! Will come back..

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

North Vancouver, Canada
“Not What We Expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I really am conflicted about writing this review of Charly's Bar - mainly because my mother always said if you can't say anything nice...well.... However, we were in Granada for 2 weeks and after a week of dining on (very tasty) Nica food we were ready for a change - some hearty German fare. We went on a Saturday night; it was our wedding anniversary, and my husband is Czech! Seemed to be the ideal spot, not to mention I had also read many of the favorable reviews of Charly's right here on Trip Advisor and was convinced we would have a great dining experience. Sadly, I was wrong. As I said, it was a Saturday evening, fairly early still but upon on our arrival we noticed we were the ONLY people in the restaurant. I realize it was not exactly high tourist season - still, this seemed odd for such a highly rated restaurant. Our young waiter was very attentive but unfortunately did not speak one word of English - normally not be much of a problem as we do know the odd word or two in Spanish such as 'uno cerveza por favor" and have always found that POINTING out the exact item desired in the menu usually works very well. Not this time. We could not for whatever reason convey what we wanted and soon enough he trudged away, and very soon it was the owner himself who came out to attend to us. I cannot say for sure who he was, as he never introduced himself or anything, but I assume he was the proprietor as he did have a German accent. He apologized for the waiter and asked us what we wanted. Hubby heard there was draft beer on tap and asked for that and I asked for a glass of white wine. The proprietor took our drink and food orders and then disappeared, never to be seen again. The beer arrived (out of a can as we watched someone pour it) so, not on tap; however it was very good. My wine was not drinkable. It was the color of....well I am not going to say what it reminded me of, let's just say, it looked more like apple juice than wine. It could not be consumed. I tried to explain this (several times) to the young waiter without success - I guess "malo vino blanco" is poor Spanish - my bad - anyway I gave up and ordered "agua" which for some reason he readily understood. Anyway, before too long the food arrived & OMG, what a HUGE disappointment. Okay, to be fair, the potato salad was pretty tasty - but the wiener schnitzel - umm, now, I've never actually tasted old shoe leather, but I am guessing that its flavor would be similar to this pork dish. We had heard the red cabbage was good. It wasn't. The whole experience was just, well the word depressing comes to mind. And no, the funky decor did not bother us at all - it was just the overall atmosphere and vibe was off. Finally the bill came including the 60 cord charge for the "wine" and I had to put my foot down on that one - I refused to pay for THAT (although did pay the "propina") - and it was quickly removed from the bill. We could not get out of there fast enough. Again, it gives me no pleasure to write this review, but we are huge fans of hearty German food and we did not get anything resembling that on this occasion.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Nicaragua
“Best German food in CA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Very friendly German owner Charly prepares great meals, both German and Nicaraguan. The setting is remarkable, a strange mix of German Flags, beer signs and pictures of soccer teams adorned with some Nicaraguan elements. We come here ever so often and would come more if it was closer to the center. Must go restaurant for everybody tiered of rice and beans.

Visited May 2012
Austin, Texas
“Best German Food in Granada”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Probaby the only German food in Granada as well. I went with two business associates for a dinnner and it was wonderful. I ordered something German authentic and it was perfectly prepared and the service was just OK but that is very typical for Granada.

Good value for the money.

Visited August 2012
Colorado
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

It was nice to find a darker beer in Nicaragua. The food was great and the plates were large! There was a nice mix of locals, expats and tourists.

Visited April 2012