“for Nicaragua, good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mansion de Chocolate

You added Mansion de Chocolate to your Saves list
Mansion de Chocolate
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Atravesada | across from Bancentro, Granada 505, Nicaragua (Formerly Hotel Spa Granada)   |
Ranked #25 of 34 Hotels in Granada
San Ramon, Costa Rica
“for Nicaragua, good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

For a hotel in Granada, Nicaragua it is a good hotel. You will need a pool to keep you cool in the hot weather. The pool was fine, but there are four ducks who live there, and the pool towels are of low quality. The breakfast was good and changed slightly each day, which is nice. The staff was friendly, nice and helpful.
We did the chocolate making tour and enjoyed Ishmael. It was fun and tasty. Fatima gave me a full 60 minute chocolate massage, 30 minutes of spa was included for each night we stayed.
Location is good.
there are goats next door, but no close roosters.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

This hotel is actually the old Presidential Mansion. Rooms and decoration are excellent, while this property could use a little tlc, the staff more than made up for it.
We spent 2 nights and will definitely be back.
Total cost $200 - this included breakfast, 1/2 hour spa treatments daily, 2 tabs at the pool bar, a horse carriage ride through town, and a 3 hour boat tour. Awesome bang for your buck.
Easy to get the scoop at the pool bar too, it's a local expat hangout. Located 1 block off center square of town, great location.

We are definitely headed back and I'm also planning a girls trip - Granada rocks!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Granada, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed here for 4 nights with my family and I really loved it! The perfect ending to our trip. After climbing volcanoes and other intense activities it was nice to relax a bit before going home. The pool and spa were everything we could have asked for at that point. Thanks to the lovely staff and people we met there!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hotel is centrally located to central park, shops, restaurants and street vendors. I was a little skeptical in booking this hotel due to the mixed reviews but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. We arrived at night Myself, husband and our young child. We were greeted by Carlo the hotel staff who was very pleasant and helpful to us during our stay. Food: This hotel offers free breakfast made to order: some food items eggs, ham & cheese omelets, crepes, rice & beans, cereal, freshly made juice, fresh fruits and of course pancakes. The chocolate pancakes is a must if you have a sweet tooth. If not the banana pancakes will do. The hotel does not offer dinner but you can order appetizer type foods & drinks from the bar which is located next to the pool. We ate dinner at Grill House outdoor restaurant on night 2; food was inexpensive drinks were just ok could use a little more alcohol. Night 3 we ate at another outdoor restaurant sorry I forget the name but it is located right across from Hotel Plaza Colon; and filled with lots of colorful sun umbrellas to keep the bird poop from getting on you lol food was cheap. You will find plenty of outdoor patio type restaurants in this area. There is convenient store a half block from the hotel too bad the rooms does not offer a fridge. Room: (See pictures) Our room was located on the second floor with clear views of the church. Bed was a little small for the 3 of us but we made it work. bathroom was very nice and shower was extremely big. The room is equipped with AC, flat screen tv & safe. We were given 2 bottles of complimentary water. This booking included a free massage but sadly we didn't have a chance to take advantage of this offer we were too busy. The hotel does offer tours but I found that is was very expensive it's best you reserve with a tour company before your stay for a better rate. We used Tierra Tours and did the Masaya Volcano Tour with Gustavo as our guide. He was great very informative of the Granada's history. We also decided to take a taxi cab to visit to Las Isleta’s in English the Granada islands or (Lake Nicaragua). The taxi was 4 Cordobas which equals to about a dollar or 2 in US. Once we reached Las Isletas ( Las Isletas has over 300 islands formed when Mombacho Volcano erupted thousands of years ago) we met with someone organizing the motor boat rides to view the islands and swim. Each boat can hold about 8 people.The price for a one hour boat ride was $20 US for 2 adults our young child was free & $40 for a 2 hour ride of views of the islands and the volcano in the background. The hotel offered this tour for about $70 a person. Please keep in mind if you want to swim the boat operator may stop in the middle of the lake and ask you if want to get out and swim lol if this is not for you then once the boat returns to the beach area you can stay and just swim. Please keep in mind that this lake / beach is a local beach and can get really crowded. After we were done we met with our taxi-cab driver who stayed around and waited for us. They normally don't wait but if you ask they will comply. Please note a little bit of Spanish can go a long way. You don't have to be fluent but know the basics greeting terms and asking how much thing cost etc. Overall I enjoyed my stay and would recommend to my friends. I was unable to make use of the chocolate museum (coco museo) but it is a great addition to the hotel. I did buy the chocolate rum which was pretty good. I want to thank the staff at the hotel for being pleasant and making our stay great. Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms over are big. Stayed April 2015 with 2 adults and a 2 year old baby.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are big and offer views of the church
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I just returned from a Birthday trip to Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Being a chocohaulic, I actually stayed at the Chocolate Mansion on the day of my birthday for a fun relaxing day.

Chocolate workshop (5 stars)- It was fun, I got to make and eat real chocolate, a chocolate aficionado's dream! (Very good English) All of the people that worked in the shop were friendly too.

Tony (5 stars) - He was one of the people working for the hotel and was really nice and helpful, and went out of his way to arrange things, and get me to where I needed to go. (Very good English)

The rest of the Staff (1-3 stars) - As soon as I'd paid around $200 for my 1 night, chocolate gifts, and spa day for my Birthday, the manager became unfriendly and unhelpful. Tony had said he'd help me get to the bus station and call my hotel in Managua, but he wasn't in when I was leaving so I sought help from the rest of the staff. The manager kept leaving to do other things. I asked if they could call my next hotel so that they would pick me up from the bus station and she said I should go to an internet cafe and use their phone, the hotel wouldn't make the call for me. An american lady that lived (or worked there) was nice enough to let me use her personal cell phone and call. Also since I had colones from Costa Rica she even exchanged them for me, went to her apartment to get the change since I needed to catch the bus and didn't have the right amount in córdobas. Meanwhile the lady at the front desk was busy and wasn't sure about the busses and the lady that was the manager wouldn't help me. This was my last day in Nicaragua and I really wanted to get to Managua to see the city before it got too late. Eventually Tony arrived and it was simple, he waved down a taxi that was like $3 talked to them about getting me to the right bus station and then I took the bus. Why I had to waste almost an hour with the other staff people getting nowhere, I don't know?
(not great English)

Spa services (3 stars) - I also stayed a night to get the included 30 minute spa service. I added on more and got the combo 5 with an hour massage, facial, mani, pedi. The massage was okay, but the lady wasn't friendly. The mani/pedi/facial lady was okay but didn't really seem to care about what she was doing. I had to point out areas on my nails that she'd missed. Compared to the US, the prices were obviously lower but for some reason I'd expected a nice pampering (as you would get in the US), but it was just average. (Not great English)

On a side note- Tony had ordered an hour $25 horse and buggy tour of the city in English. The tour guide was pretty terrible, he kept taking calls on his cell phone and he barely spoke English. My Spanish is intermediate, and I had to keep asking him questions in Spanish to learn anything. And I didn't learn much more than the obvious, that's a church, that's another church 400 years old, neo-classical, there was a fire, that was a train station. At one point we got to Fortaleza La Polvora. I asked what Polvora meant and he said parrot. I said, parrot? Como un pajaro? He said yes, I told him that didn't sound right, maybe powder? He said gun parrot. I said gun powder? gun parrot? He said pellet. I said pirate? Pellet? Parrot? Powder? He said he was sure it was parrot, that's what his teacher told him. It went on and on like this. When I got back, I complained and Tony sat down with the manager and myself and she wanted to know what I wanted to pay. I said $15 it was mostly a ride around town, without the tour part, so we settled that pretty quickly, but again Tony was there.....

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My girlfriend and I stayed for 4 nights in a delux room. We were delighted with the hotel, breakfast, massages included and our Olympic sized room!

Unfortunately the entire stay was eclipsed by having around $120USD thieved from our room whilst out. We reported it to the management but apart from enquiries nothing was done about this, no form of compensation. In fact they tried to offer us a taxi to our next destination at an above going rate price- cheers a bunch!!!

When checking out, we were once again caught out by the tax. We were initially charged one nights fee as a deposit which conveniently did not include tax, leading us to believe that this was the fee for all nights-wrong...

A really great hotel with lovely facilities but forever our memory will be the incompetent management who offered nothing after being disgraced by a staff member (taking the tax off would not have been so difficult during the mix up on checkout-a Western hotel would have strived further for customer satisfaction...)

Proceed with caution.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This resort is really a great place.. Good location in safe Granada. They have some really good deals on spa services and offer free massages for people who stay at tne Mansion. Tony played host to us and really took great care of us. I cant say enough about how he took care of us. I highly recommend connecting with him when you get there. We did the Choco tour which gave us an all day tour to see the isletas, go horseback riding, hiking, have a great picnic lunch and learn about sustainable farming. It also included an option to try a swim in the hot springs, but it was WAY too hot. ~150degF.
I cannot recommend the smallest room. When we got there, we had this reserved and felt like we were in a dungeon. When we complained, they were quick to move us to a nicer room and gave us a great deal on the upgrade, I believe we ended up in a suite level room. Maya was our room, and it has a great view of the volcano.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Mansion de Chocolate? Share your experiences!