“Spa-Tastic!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mansion De Chocolate

Save Saved
You added Mansion De Chocolate to your Saves list
Mansion De Chocolate
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Atravesada | across from Bancentro, Granada 505, Nicaragua (Formerly Hotel Spa Granada)   |
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Granada
New York City, New York
“Spa-Tastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is my third trip to HotelSpaGranada, and I have to talk about the spa. Before this visit, the massages were good. But recent staffing changes have really made an impact. I admit that I am a deep-tissue massage person, the more intense the better. I had their therapeutic/sports massage every day for 7 days straight, with three different staff, and they have now truly embraced the deep tissue concept. This series of massages were the best I've had anywhere in the last 10 years. They aren't for the faint of heart but are really worth it if you love/need deep tissue work from you hair follicles down to your toenails.

Room Tip: My personal preference is Cielo. It's a good size room with a table and chairs, king-size bed, a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Nosara, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

what I mean is, we stayed one night in the Hotel Granada, and really disliked it. too crowded and zero room style, no windows on our first floor room. Nice and close to the parqueo central, true. But when I took my daughters to the chocolate class at the spa hotel the next morning, it was so much better, airier, taller, grander... that we moved. Not fancy by any means, but appealing to this artist and her two daughters. Great interior light, tiling, plants, rooms are nice and spacious, mattresses are good. There's an old time grandeur to it that appeals to me. My massage was less than perfect, and the second floor wood floors squeak. but we all agreed we would go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I found this hotel at booking .com on special rates. The reason it is such good value is it includes a spa treatment and breakfast included in the room rate. Located close to all restaurants and bars all within walking distance. The only negative I would have is the bathroom had a bad smell. Hotel is an old mansion that has been renovated very well to retain all the charm of a colonial house. Staff spoke English and everything in the room worked well. Would recommend for a stay if you can get special deals.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Poorly trained staff General manager speaks zero English. Gringo owner from New York is never there and has no idea how to run a hotel. A/C problems water leaks from the bathroom sink. Could not get massages because the front desk did not schedule correctly. Staff could give a crap and laughed in my face. THERE IS A REASON THIS PLACE RANKS SO LOW. You can do much better. Don't waste your time or money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
bigbodes, Owner at Mansion De Chocolate, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
I note that approximately half of your many reviews are "terrible". I am truly sorry for you that you have made so many bad choices in life, and seem to need to enhance your self importance by demeaning the sincere efforts of others. Although it is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel, I must correct your material misstatements. The General Manager does speak English, not "Zero English" as you state; but I will acknowledge that her English is not perfect. I make an extra effort to give opportunity to Nicaraguans, even providing free English classes for my staff. I assume your statement "staff could give a crap" means that our staff is not concerned with customer satisfaction, again, this is simply false. By he way, your statement "staff could give a crap" does not demonstrate an excellent command of English on your part, either. I am the "Gringo owner" who you assert "is never there". It is true that I travel from time to time, and I was on a business trip in May when you say you stayed at Hotel Spa Granada. But I spend months at a time at the hotel. Additionally, the criticism is quite bizarre, as the owners (the public shareholders) of Starwoods, the Four Seasons, and the Ritz Carlton, for example, obviously cannot spend all the time at their hotels.
South Jordan, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The property was very interesting. We had a large room with nice big windows but the AC wasn't working, so we moved to the only room that was vacant. Unfortunately it was very small with no windows. The clerks were very helpful and compassionate , but we had no help carrying our luggage up numerous stairs. Breakfast was poor. I would recommend eating elsewhere. The saving grace was the massages that were available on property(even though they had no record of our reservations for them). They had to squeeze us in in the morning after we put up a fuss. Unfortunately , a couple of our party couldn't get messages because of their error.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
aspen, colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

We were led to this hotel by a local. We still haven't left! We keep adding on another night- the rooms are historic and beautiful. I received the best manicure and pedicure- $9 each. The food is very good and we will have a hard time leaving.

• Stayed May 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Hotel Spa Granada was our first stop upon arriving in Nicaragua and we loved it! So much so that we returned for our final night in the country, opting for familiar comfort over hectic Managua.

The hotel had arranged for a taxi to meet us at the airport and deliver us to the hotel, an inexpensive service I also recommend as taxi service in Managua is dodgy at best and dangerous at worst. The grandeur of the storied old mansion, the courtyard garden we overlooked at breakfast every morning, the complimentary breakfast served and swimming pool conspire to make it the perfect place to stay, but it's the staff who seal the deal. Delightful, helpful, patient and lovely - the lot of them.

Our first night was in a deluxe room, which was fine, but for other nights we opted for one of the king bed suites. The price is reasonable and the rooms massive so people like us - backpackers with too much stuff - can spread out and have a comfortable home base. Everywhere in Nicaragua you are close to nature, in this case, we had a mouse for a roommate a couple of nights but he didn't really bother us.

If you're looking for an excellent guide for the area, we also highly recommend Ramón Parra (English & Spanish) at No Rush Tours. Cell: 505 - 8958-0913  / E-mail: ramonparra60@yahoo.es / www.norushtoursnic.jimdo.com.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mansion De Chocolate? Share your experiences!