“Unique hotel with a gorgeous pool” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Spa Granada

Save Saved
You added Hotel Spa Granada to your Saves list
Hotel Spa Granada
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle Atravesada | across from Bancentro, Granada 505, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #23 of 35 hotels in Granada
Bondi, Australia
“Unique hotel with a gorgeous pool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This place is unique! We stayed for two nights for our anniversary, in an upstairs room with the green leaves on the key.

Pros:
- Rooms are each individually decorated and designed, some interesting features and art - even in the bathrooms.
- A big buffet breakfast laid on every morning in the chocolate factory - the hot sweet chocolate bean drink is heavenly as are the waffles, pancakes and everything else we ate.
- The pool is divine! With a little family of gorgeous ducks in it! When we were there, it was very quiet.
- The day that we ate at the pool, the food was great and huge.
- With the room you get one free 30 minute treatment each day. I had a massage and a facial, and the massage was surprisingly good considering (worth going for an hour!). The facial was good too - again my expectations were not high for Nicaragua but the women who delivered were lovely and professional.
- The rooms were spotless and comfortable.
- A great place to buy organic coconut oil!
- Wifi is strong and works in the rooms
- Nice
spacious courtyards
- There was a guy playing accordion while we ate breakfast!

Cons:
- Our headboard was not designed for sitting against! Random I know but we like to write in bed!
- On some days there didn't appear to be food/drink service at the pool - perhaps as it was too quiet.
- There was a fan noise during the day, luckily it stopped before the evening
- On the first night there was strong wind that shook the doors all night. We didn't sleep much! But they fixed them the next morning and the second night was restful.

What I liked about this place was that it was unique, all sorts of quirky things and art - so, a little different to a regular hotel which was a nice change.

All in all, we had a great stay and would love to stay there again.

Room Tip: Some of the downstairs rooms are not as nice - it is worth paying the extra for the upgrade.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
FlapperWashington_DC, Manager at Hotel Spa Granada, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thanks for your review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the associated services we provide!

You are right about the headboards - the marshmallow-like design does sometimes make it difficult to sit up in bed and write in a journal. We think the uniqueness of the headboards is worth the trade-off! If you visit us again, please take advantage of the amazing chairs we have throughout the hotel as a great alternative.

236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
masaya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The two hour class is definitely worth your time, we get to toast the cacao beans, take off the skins, mash them into a paste and then prepare three drinks and your very own chocolate bar! Very informative and thorough explanation, nice pictures. My chocolate bar was run flavored, delicious. I am coming back, hope to get to stay in the hotel in the future, beautiful paintings everywhere (even in the bathrooms!). The pool is very very nice. If you go to Granada, this is a must!

• Stayed September 2012
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in August and loved it. It was centrally located to the rest of the town, but not on a noisy street. We could walk to restaurants and attractions easily. But the best part was the ambiance and kind staff. Breakfast and a massage were included and we loved the laid back, yet upscale feel of the hotel. The hotel is in a colonial style mansion and is attached to a chocolate museum and has lots of charm and character. The pool was beautiful but watch out for the territorial ducks!
The rooms were very charming, but basic (we booked a standard double room). We didn't have a clock or hairdryer in our hotel room, but this wasn't an issue for us. I'm sure we could have got one at the front desk if we asked. The shower was huge. The room in general was quiet - we could listen to the rain fall and birds chirp, but never heard our neighbors (not even sure if we had any).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I liked Hotel Spa Granada, but I did not love it. The staff was not all that friendly and the spa services that were included were not always available. You get a 30 minute massage included everyday, which seems to be almost garunteed, but the other services like a manicure or pedicure (yeah, I know I am a guy, but still like these things on occasion) are not always available. For the price, this place is not bad, but it does not have a restaurant, only a bar that serves terrible food. I mean, it is good for what it is, but most likely, I would not go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stopped at Hotel Spa Granada for a few days on our way to Belize from Panama. It was a nice stop over. We enjoyed the services very much. My husband received a massage and said it was the best he had ever had. I got a facial and was very pleased with the service. The breakfasts were tremendous and the mix of guests was exceptional. We would definitely return if we were in the area.

Room Tip: I think they are all good.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
FlapperWashington_DC, Manager at Hotel Spa Granada, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thanks, Ellie! Hopefully we'll see you back here one day.
santa ana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

If you are not careful they will charge you for extra nights. I stayed 3 nights and payed cash for 1 night. When I checked in, the hotel clerk took a voucher imprint of my debit card. Told me it would be returned at check out. WELL, I checked out and no copy of the voucher was returned to me. Guess what ... a charge for an extra night was debited to my card. I sent my bank statement to the owner and she isn't doing anything about this fraudulent action. It is obvious that someone at the front desk or in the accounting department took it upon themselves to pocket the cash I paid to the receptionist and to make the cash register balance out they charged the cash amount to the debit card.
FURTHERMORE, during the massage, the masseuse took it upon herself to leave the room and talk to a coworker just outside. She didn't say excuse me or anything. She was absent for about 8 minutes. AND she had the nerve to end the massage at the 30 minute mark. What ever happened to customer service? Doesn't she realize that it is the tourists who are paying her wages? How selfish of her! FURTHERMORE, as I stood on the ramp outside my room, I witnessed the maid rummaging through the pockets of my green cargo shorts. What on earth could she looking for?...let me guess...$$$$$. Stay away from this place if you don't want to be ripped off. You can't even trust the owner when you file a complaint.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
FlapperWashington_DC, Manager at Hotel Spa Granada, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Kevin,

Once again, we apologize for the confusion that resulted after your stay. As I stated in our lengthy email correspondence, you are mistaken about any additional charges from Hotel Spa Granada resulting from your stay. The accusations you made toward our hotel were for charges in Costa Rican currency and for multiple thousands of dollars. It is impossible for us to charge in Costa Rican currency since our hotel is located in Nicaragua. Furthermore, there are no records showing such charges with our bank, BAC, the most prestigious bank in Central America. I will suggest again that you get in touch with your bank and make sure that your card has not been compromised. Best of luck.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely al fresco hotel, spa and chocolate factory. The spa is organically integrated into the natural landscape. Decorating is eye-appealing and rooms must have been refurbished. I love the serenity of all spaces. The pool is in a gorgeous setting with views of the volcano. Staff is very friendly and accommodating, particularly if you speak Spanish.

The spa is modest, yet effective. I had a fantastic "Fusion" massage. Awesome. I also had a pedicure, which was very basic, but made sense for the price.

The pool is beautiful and relaxing. I was pleasantly surprised by the ducks.

The breakfast buffet is great. I've had something different each day and have yet to be displeased. Try the chocolate crepe with bananas. Yum.

This hotel is not ultra-modern, yet wonderfully unique. If you want European luxury, this is not the place for you. If you appreciate eco-friendly, sustainably and responsibly made natural beauty, you will love this place. I will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Hotel Spa Granada? Share your experiences!