“MOST AMAZING PLACE TO STAY!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Green Season Value
Ranked #3 of 35 Hotels in Granada
Beverly, Massachusetts
“MOST AMAZING PLACE TO STAY!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have stayed at some amazing luxury hotels before (the Danieli in Venice, Claridges in London, the Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi, the Peninsula in Hong Kong) ... and I have to say that while it is completely different from those I just mentioned (it is an eco lodge and not in an urban setting for the obvious differences) it was every bit as amazing, if not more amazing. My boyfriend and I spent 3 nights at Jicaro last August and we did not want to leave, we wish we had stayed longer.

The staff were wonderfully attentive while also allowing you to relax undisturbed - they seemed to find the perfect balance.

The food was INCREDIBLE. The breakfasts of garden omelets (overflowing with unbelievably fresh vegetables) and coconut crusted french toast were very memorable. The dinners were equally wonderful with a wide array of choices including amazing fresh fish and steaks. Their homemade juices and fresh-brewed local teas were wonderfully refreshing while sitting by their beautiful pool and enjoying the breathtaking views on the island.

The casitas were spacious, clean, VERY comfortable, and beautifully built entirely with wood from trees that had fallen in a rainforest near by.

They have a sort of look out in the middle of the island which offered great photo opportunities of the surrounding lake - especially great at sunsets.

We did their fishing tour (my boyfriend's idea, I was not excited) and it was so fun! Our guide was amazing and so patient with us (we were not very talented at fishing...) and showed us around the lake and where he lived.

I really can not say enough about how enjoyable our stay was. I would HIGHLY recommend any couple looking for an amazing romantic escape or honeymoon location to choose Jicaro -- you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I were fortunate enough to visit Jicaro for four nights last week, and we loved every minute. We are experienced travelers and did a lot of research before we decided on Jicaro (and Nicaragua), so we knew we'd like it... but were surprised by how much we fell in love with the isleta!

The other reviews are spot-on: the location is unforgettable, the casitas are charming (albeit a bit tight) and the food is good. What made Jicaro stand out for us was the quality of service. It may sound trite, but the staff really made us feel "welcome". They were superb, and their attention to detail was excellent.

We were also very impressed by Jicaro's sustainability commitment. We attended a sustainability presentation one evening, and they are establishing a great program to not only minimize their impact on the precious Lake Nicaragua environment but to perhaps even more importantly stimulate the local economy and culture. We've stayed at other "ecolodges" around the world, and we felt that Jicaro's program was among the most comprehensive and authentic. It made us feel good to support their effort!

Other highlights for us were enjoying the lake (swim and kayak), chatting with the other guests at the bar, induling in a massage at the spa (I get massages regularly, and I thought the therapist was excellent), participating in a restorative yoga session one evening (Adrienne is awesome!) and enjoying cocktails by the pool or the dock.

If I HAD to critique Jicaro, I would say that I would wish that the decks off the casitas were a bit larger (but I understand why they aren't, due to the size constraints of the island). Also, I think 6 of the 9 casitas were occupied when we were there. The pool area seemed a little crowded one of the days, so I would think that if Jicaro was fully occupied, the isleta may seem a bit tight (but I understand that many people take daily excursions off the island). Again, neither of these points are an issue whatsoever... just trying to point out a few things that other reviewers may have not.

The bottom line is that we can't wait to return! GO!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband and I have travelled a lot and I have to say that staying at Jicaro is the most fascinating, unusual, and delightful place we've ever stayed at. If you are looking for quiet, relaxing, get away from it all this is the place to go. The casitas are beautiful, waking up to bird song and beautiful sunrises is just amazing. Never have I stayed anywhere, where the hotel is the destination. At first we thought the price was a bit steep, but after staying there, we actually thought it was good value. So much to do or so little if you prefer, so ridiculously relaxing. The staff are so friendly, such beautiful people. Can't wait to go back to Nicaragua and Jicaro. ^5

Room Tip: All the casitas will have amazing views, and the island is small, it's really irrelevant.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is one of the best accommodation experiences of my life. As one of my traveling friends mentioned "on top of the amazing setting and quality of service, it is the attention to details that makes this place a real paradise"... and I could not agree more. From the food to all fresh drinks, we had a fest exploring Nicaraguan cuisine in such a remote setting. Yoga during sunset, swimming the warm lake waters in the morning, kayaking in the afternoon, full massage with view of the lake, resting by the pool or just reading a book in our casita's hammock, there is always something to do in that paradise (and we did it all !!! ). But the best part of the experience is the service. From moment one, all staff call you by name and make sure your time during your stay is maximize to its best. Every night they will get our Casita ready for the night and will quickly fix it during the morning. Privacy and comfort combined with prime service. A must visit for every nature and comfort lover.

Room Tip: Casita #9 has the best views :)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is a relaxing, service-oriented resort. The staff are totally focused on customer satisfaction. There are only 9 casitas so there are no crowds and excursions are tailored to you. Internet is sporadic so load your kindle and forget about checking your email. Sometimes our meal order was wrong but we didn't care because the food and service are so good small hiccups are irrelevant. Go if you can.

• Stayed November 2012
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Jicaro Island Ecolodge for five nights, and it was one of the best experiences of our traveling life. The lodge is situated on a small island and consists of nine casitas in addition to a spa, dining room, bar, and reception area. The staff is unbelievably knowledgeable about the Granada area and Nicaragua, and they are so friendly that we felt as if we made friends who we will want to see again. The lodge provided tours of the magnificent areas surrounding the isleta--Granada, Masaya, and Mombacho Volcano--with guides who were not only great to spend time with, but knew the area well.

The nine casitas are lovely: multilevel with sitting and dressing areas, a bedroom, and a first-floor deck overlooking the fabulous Lago de Nicaragua. The hotel is all-inclusive and so our meals were taken there, and the food was outstanding, from the dinners each evening in an outdoor dining area, to the snacks offered to us pool-side. We also enjoyed the early morning coffee that was delivered to our room each day.

One of the things that appealed to us about Jicaro is the ecology of the lodge: it is almost fully self-sustaining, with solar panels and its own water-filtration system. Jicaro employs locals from the surrounding area and trains them in hotel management skills. The lodge also supports several rural elementary schools. We were able to visit one of the schools to see first-hand the work that Jicaro and others are doing for the education of Nicaraguan children. Because my husband and I are educators, we were very happy to be able to support children's education by staying at Jicaro.

The owner of Jicaro, who we had the pleasure of meeting, is an English woman who was determined to create a hotel that she, a world traveler, would enjoy staying in, and so this lodge reflects the high-end amenities that a discriminating traveler will not only want, but expect. For us it was a lovely, luxurious visit to a beautiful country in Central America, but the friendliness of the people of Nicaragua and the staff of Jicaro made this stay just about perfect.

We will go back to Nicaragua and we will definitely go back to Jicaro.

Room Tip: We stayed in casita #7, which is totally private--and quiet--and has a magnificent view overlooking...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We LOVED Jicaro! The secluded sanctuary, the majestic beauty, the beautiful casita and grounds, the staff, the food.... Every aspect of this stay was 10 stars - you will not be disappointed with this gem of a resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada? Share your experiences!