“Gracious, a jewel in Granada” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Bocona

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Bocona to your Saves list
Hotel La Bocona
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle La Libertad | 2 Blocks West of Central Park, Granada, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #13 of 35 hotels in Granada
Vancouver
“Gracious, a jewel in Granada”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I had a wonderful chance to stay at La Bocona twice in January of this year!

I have travelled to many places in the world and stayed in many lovely hotels. I can almost say, that La Bocona is my favourite.
I love architecture and this historic building has been restored beautifully retaining all the original features. There are only 6 rooms which makes La Bocona very intimate and cozy.The 2 courtyards are places of pure tranquility providing shaded terraces, a pool and hammocks to relax on a hot afternoon.
The hotel is situated just a few blocks from the lively city centre. It is a peaceful haven away from the lively buzz of activity!
The staff at La Bocona are most gracious. Olga and Miguel granted every wish with the biggest of smiles.
Our large 4 poster bed was high and very comfortable with beautiful sheets.
Included is a most delicious home cooked breakfast.

It was such a pleasure to meet Nadine who is the most gracious host!

I would highly recommend Hotel La Bocona to anyone who appreciates excellent service and a 5 star standard of Hotel.

I would love to return one day!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us B!

We loved having you both here and are anxiously awaiting your return,

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed for 4 days and had a great time. The rooms are HUGE and the outdoor seating is delightful. The artwork gracing the walls is inspiring. The breakfast was delicious (jamon crepes w/ gallo pinto!) It's very centrally located so you can walk all over the city. We were there during holy week and got to see a few processions right in front of the hotel, it was lovely.

The staff was very kind and helpful.

One note - while you will have a private bath it is not attached to your room so be prepared to cross the courtyard when you need it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
How nice it was to have you here!

We are very concerned with providing the guest an overall excellent experience blending top-shelf attentive service with an impeccable, warm, welcoming ambiance. While we are always searching for ways to improve, your comments show us that we are hitting the target well.

Thank you for your time reviewing your experience here. Hope to see you again soon!
upstate boonies
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

this was our second trip to Granada - and we liked the town - i chose this hotel as it sounded an excellent colonial option - and it was - it was amazing - i loved it - the amazing architecture with the courtyards and the micro climate in them - i loved it the service was excellent - and helped with a few other snafus - but we had a wonderful time - there loved it and hope we can head back there = the bedrooms were huge ! yes you have to wlk to your bathroom - but really it is like being in a private house so it was not an issue for us! we have travelled the globe and stayed in grass huts to the ritz so i would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
It is certainly our pleasure to have hosted you and we are so grateful that we were able to provide the colonial experience you were looking for!

Thank you for your review and your patronage!
Key West, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

While reviews were generally positive, there was such review scatter I had to see for myself. My heart sank a little during the check-in when the receptionist eyed the Nicaraguan gentleman I had in tow suspiciously. He relaxed somewhat gradually when I let him know it was my fabulous driver, headed back to Managua for the night. I'm wondering if there had been safety concerns with Granada in general that leads them to take surprises seriously! Anyway, he was pleasant the rest of the time, and the more stupid questions I came up with as I settled in, the nicer he was. He seems to be usually there during the check in/out hours and is very fluent in English. Everyone else speaks only Spanish, but I got by and they were all nice. You'll see a lot of them because the gate is locked when they're not in the lobby and they have to let you in/out, but they were always there within 45 seconds and I came to appreciate the extra security. Much has been made of the "far away" location, but give me a break! It's a 5-minute walk to Calle Calzada and the action.

The room (Colonial suite) is huge--about 3 stories high and lots of floor space also, probably the most cubic feet I've ever seen in a bedroom. No windows (wooden doors instead) but it does have skylights and of course the door to the room opened on the pool/courtyard. I loved the decor--colonial furniture mixed with modern wall art--in many places I think it would win awards. It does not have all the amenities of Western hotels--no TV, refrigerator, iron--and the bathroom is a
short trip outside--but there are robes, WiFi (in the courtyard only), complementary water, and the staff will get you other beverages. I did find the a/c weak though no worse than I have at home (and I live in FL)--see below for tip, but if you need refrigerator temps you may not be happy here.
Breakfast is included, and the ladies take great care. One thing I REALLY liked is that I'm an early riser, and despite being advertised as starting at 7, they were ready to serve the minute they saw me (usually using the WiFi), as early as 6:15. I've stayed in upscale places in the U.S. where breakfast supposedly started at 7 and no staff showed their face until 8, so this was very
refreshing. Selections are limited and they were out of some things but the pinto gallo with eggs, fruits, juice and bottomless coffee was awesome.
While not included, I did use the Spa for a massage and got a great one for a very reasonable 25 dollars--maybe the best one I've ever had while traveling.

It seems a little pricey for Granada. Is it worth it? I can't really tell you. It does include breakfast. The afternoon snack (for which I left an aerobics class to sample) was almost humerous--jello and coffee! But I suppose it was refreshing. There is a complementary gym membership, but I had to pay extra for the aerobics class anyway. At the end of the day, the compelling reasons to give this place a look (and the reason I gave it 4, after waffling between 3 and 4 for a while) are the gorgeous rooms and grounds, and excellent staff. If you're used to all the amenities in an upscale American hotel, this may not be your place. But this is exactly the type of place I travel to stay at--elegant, friendly and a tad eclectic.

Room Tip: The eco-tourist in me didn't really want to do this, but I found that the day I turned the a/c o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you so much for having stayed with us! We appreciate that you enjoyed what we offer and hope to see you again!

Maracaibo, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I spent a week staying at Hotel La Bocona this past July (2012) and it ended with my sister's wedding ceremony in the garden and reception by the pool. We're not Nicaraguan, we are Americans from the East Coast. It was the most fun wedding I have ever been to. First let me state why staying here is a great choice. First, you get treated like a real guest by the staff, who know what you need and eventually even what you like for breakfast before you even ask! You start your morning by walking across the garden to the dining area and the wonderful women give you several options for breakfast. I remember loving the fruit, coffee, and juice, and having an assortment of other entrees with breakfast. They are really kind. Other perks include feeling like you are staying at a real piece of history, and the rooms are really huge. Go into it knowing it is not air conditioned, but hey, if you are traveling out of the US, or another country where you crank your AC all summer, take this as a break and a chance to really experience something out of your norm. The fans are perfectly fine to keep you cool. The rooms are beautiful with HUGE beds. The bathrooms are nice and they keep them clean for you. The pool is great if you want to take a dip, and the garden area with all the artwork on the walls is beautiful. My sister and her husband chose to have the wedding in Granada, due to the fact that she spent a few years living in the country and travels back there often. Granada was a great place for the wedding, and by the end of the week the entire place was booked with only wedding guests-so we had a great time. For the wedding, they were very accommodating, and even when a huge rainstorm hit right before we arrived with the bride, they cleaned up all the rain and fixed all the candles, to make sure everything was perfect for the bride and groom. Having a wedding for about 50 people was perfect, without needing to decorate due to the beauty of the trees, flowers, pool, and artwork on the walls. We had our nails done the day before at the salon in the hotel, and I also got myself a great massage for a great price. Another thing that stands out to me was the way they make you feel safe due to someone always at the front door, no matter what time of night. One tip though, is that due to the fact that it is an old colonial hotel, you can hear the street on the weekend nights a bit. Not a huge problem but if you're a light sleeper just take earplugs incase you need them. I think if you're coming to Granada you should stay in this beautiful colonial hotel and feel the personal attention that you are given due to its size. The staff at La Bocona did everything they could to make all guests welcome, all but myself being new to Nicaragua. Oh, and it is within a quick walk to the main square, and banks to exchange money. I don't think the distance from the square should be any sort of deterrent. It really is a straight shot down one road and you're in the square. Stay here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you so much for the great reference!

What a pleasure it was to have you, your family and dear friends with us that week!

That wedding had to be one of the most spectacular events we've held and it was an honor to have been able to have it at La Bocona, sharing in that special day.

Please wish the newlyweds our best for us,

Walpole, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed at three hotels in Granada and this was my least favorite. It is far away from the center of town, not a long distance by any means but in comparison to other hotels in the city, this is not the most centrally located. Given that there are tons of options in better locations for better prices, that is the basis for the review.
The staff was nice, the room was big, no AC (they do supply fans), and the bathrooms are not en suite - not a huge deal but you do have to walk to a different locked room, specific to your room, to use the bathroom.
Based on the price, $100USD+, I expected a bit more from this accommodation and was underwhelmed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
We are committed to providing a high level of intrinsic value. Not only do we provide an elegant colonial setting with gardens and swimming pool, beautiful guestrooms with air con (if selected), a full breakfast with much choice but, also we include other extras like personalized concierge service, a tasty afternoon snack, wifi, local gym membership and 10% discount on professional on-site spa services ---all in the guestroom rate and all delivered by a bilingual, friendly staff.

We are also committed to supporting the local community and donate 1/2 of our revenue to Carita Feliz, which provides education and meals to children and other less fortunate community members. Our guests are directly contributing by way of their stay.

Thank you for taking the time to review--we appreciate your comments,

Nadene

While there are a some great choices in town, our service, setting and mission set La Bocona apart from other hotels.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I suspect many of these reviews have been paid for. When my wife and I checked in, we were shown around and greeted with a smile. What we found later, was that our friend was denied access to the bathroom. My wife and I have no tolerance for discrimination and only stayed one night of our 3 night reservation. It was around 2pm (normal operational hours) when they told our friend he could not use the bathroom. We did not really understand what was going on, because they were speaking in spanish. The staff was not amazingly welcoming like these reviews say, and the room had no A/C! Nicaragua is definitely a place where you need A/C if you're paying $100+ per night. We ended up staying at a different hotel right in the heart of the central park for $65/night and it had A/C and was MUCH quieter. Hotel La Bocona is pretty far from central park and WAY overpriced. We only found out it was overpriced after seeing other hotels nearby. The one night we slept there consisted of honking cars right outside our room (it's positioned against a busy street) and 3 giant noisy fans to help us keep cool. We knew the room didn't have A/C, but didn't realize how hot the actual room was going to be compared to the outside temperature. This hotel made us feel ripped off, and like we wasted our time. Worst of all, we felt embarrassed to stay at a place that discriminated against our friend. My wife and I have reviewed numerous places on TrivAdvisor, and there is no way all of these reviews about Bocona are legit. It's only a matter of time before more reviews like this one are seen and actually trusted. They promised to give us a full refund, but only refunded us partially.

Room Tip: Rooms do not have A/C even upon request.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I am sorry that you feel the way you do. It would have been nice to have settled these issues while we still had a chance to make you more comfortable under our roof.

I must point out that we have never “paid” for nor given any type of benefit in exchange for a good review. I’m not sure how we’d even be able to get 101 different people from around the entire world to do so. While this may be a marketing technique other hotels use, we do not adhere to or promote such insincere activities ever.

As well, discrimination is not tolerated in any form on these premises. I am completely puzzled as to what you meant by that actually or how that could have been construed. While you were checking in with the Receptionist, I welcomed your friend myself and shared amiable small talk. He did not ask me anything about bathrooms, which would have been ridiculous to refuse and of course, he could have used yours. Considering your friend was a native Spanish speaker, isn’t it possible that there could have been an unfortunate miscommunication between the two of you?

Regarding air con.. We do have very effective, permanent units in all guestrooms with exception to the Junior Suite and that fact is very well advertised everywhere, including on the site that you booked with. Clients choose which Suite serves their needs best.
Noisy? Probably. You were here during the party week of the year when, in addition to regular international tourism, 50 000 national tourists flock to Granada at Easter time. This is a situation that we cannot control and we are located only two blocks from Central Park and La Calzada where the action was taking place.

Also, you received the exact refund you requested and I explained to you that because you booked with a third party agent online, I was unable to facilitate the first night to be of no charge. I did however, make you an offer that went ignored, for a complimentary night in a larger, air-conditioned guestroom.

I wish that we had had the opportunity to work this out together. Perhaps we could have shown you first-hand why guests write such great reviews about us.

Nadene

Been to Hotel La Bocona? Share your experiences!