“Colonial splender in a beautiful, stylish city.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel La Bocona

Save Saved
You added Hotel La Bocona to your Saves list
Hotel La Bocona
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle La Libertad | 2 Blocks West of Central Park, Granada, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #12 of 35 hotels in Granada
Corpus Christi
“Colonial splender in a beautiful, stylish city.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This 2nd visit to Hotel la Bocona was as glorious as my last. Many of the hotel staff speak English and they are all gracious and friendly. This resored spanish villa maintains its colonial charms, with beautiful spacious rooms, sparkling pools, and period art and furniture, transporting you back to another era. Enjoy a delicious, traditional breakfast, sip a mimosa on the hammock in the sumptuous courtyard, and pamper yourself with a massage in the adjoining spa, and you will leave your heart in this stylish city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
So great to have had you back, Dr.T -- It's becoming a tradition that we are looking forward to every year! Thank you for making La Bocona your hotel of choice.

Have a great 2013 and we'll see you again soon!

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I arrived as an anxious stranger traveling alone and speaking very little Spanish. I left La Bocona refreshed and relaxed and feeling as though I now have family and friends in Granada. The staff at La Bocona took care of me with kindness and care within an elegant setting in a lovely colonial city.

My flight from Miami was 3 hours late arriving in Managua and I had no cell service to notify the La Bocona that I would be late. However, I shouldn't have worried as my driver Gustavo (the trusted driver from La Bocona) patiently waited for me and safely drove me to Granada.

The hotel was absolutely beautiful and a quiet oasis from the busy streets and many tourists in Grenada. My room had a huge bed, gorgeous art work, gleaming tile floor, and was immaculate. The room was not air conditioned, but had a lovely overhead fan and an additional electric fan near the bed. The courtyard was quiet with many cozy areas for reading, conversations, and relaxation. WiFi was available in the courtroom and pool area. I could easily and quietly connect with home for emails, news, etc. The pool was perfect for a quick dip and was always clean.

The director, Nadene, was so helpful and friendly. She made sure that I had access to tours, recommended activities, and was always available. I can't say enough about the other La Bocona staff. Miguel, Olga, Margarita, and Nellie were amazing! The breakfasts were outstanding, from their "tipica Nica" gallo pinto to the refreshing natural juices. My evening cafe con leche and postre was a highlight to each and every day. The staff went out of their way to welcome me, help me with my Spanish, and make my stay a beautiful experience.

La Bocona is NOT for tourists wanting a noisy resort with blaring music, crowded restaurants, and lots of visitors. But it IS a divine experience for singles, couples and families wanting to truly enjoy Nicaraguan hospitality, cooking, and friendship. I would highly recommend La Bocona. I cannot wait to return to my new family and friends in Granada.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
We are also so happy to have a new friend and we're looking forward to your next trip when we get to meet your daughter! It was an honor to host you -- such a kind and lovely lady.

We hope your gallo pinto goes well at home and look forward to seeing the photo proof of your new Nica cooking skills!

Thank you for gracing our doorstep. We anticipate a lasting relationship,
Nadene, Miguel, Margarita, Nelly, Olga
San Salvador, El Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

A beautiful hotel with fantastically helpful staff - even before I arrived questions via email were answered the same day and a taxi met me at Managua to take me to Granada. The warm welcome lasted throughout my stay - everyone was attentive without invading my space. Breakfasts were hearty, the hotel calm and lovingly restored and the beds a joy to climb up into. A really great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you so much for your review! You are such a delightful person and we enjoyed your stay as much as you did ---Miguel even told me he misses your company! Thank you as well for the lovely notes you left in the guestbook and emailed. We are definitely awaiting your return!
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have met the manager once at the check-in, when she suggested to use their preferred travel agency and mentioned they have a spa (outsourced and cash payment only). The two hotel staff that we had available (Olga and Miguel) did the best job within their knowledge and projected a very caring attitude, providing us with comfort.

NOISE
Providing the sofas and lounge chairs in the courtyard is the best thing the hotel can do, otherwise we would have had to move out - as it was unpleasant to stay in a room from 5am to 10pm (sometimes we could not even hear each other) because of a very loud traffic noise. We tried to use the common space and dining room, but we were still bothered with the loud traffic noise, so we have left at 7pm and had a lovely drink in a quiet environment of the the Plaza Colon hotel until 10pm, when the traffic somewhat quiet down. We realised as soon as we walked into our La Bocona hotel room, where the bed head is positioned right next to the door which opens to the road traffic, that we will have to spend all the time outside of the hotel. We did enjoy walking around Granada and visiting Mombacho mountain, we just DID NOT ENJOY OUR ROOM because of the mentioned basic and hard conditions.

SANITARY CONDITIONS
- bats in our room (carriers of deadly diseases)
- sticky & filthy hair-dryer
- mouldy inside glass pitcher in which we were served tab water that we asked for

The little gardening didn't bother us, in fact there should be more of professional gardening done on the premisses.

BREAKFAST
We were served eggs with a hard/un-chewable rice with beans and when I asked for the local cheese, which was on the menu (NOT EXTRA), Olga (chef, caretaker, gardener, etc.) responded that she will make sure that they have it tomorrow and she did give me a slice of local cheese next day, which cost USD2 per pound at the local market. We didn't ask for anything extra, especially for any pastry and if it was provided by the staff, then we were not aware that it was a big deal as we found lots of very tasteful pastry available at the local market. Olga is a wonderful lady who was patient with my poor knowledge of Spanish (she doesn't speak English) and catered to us with a grace of a loving mother.

CONCIERGE
Miguel (concierge, check-in reception, security guard, etc.) speaks a decent English, cheerful fellow...did up-sell the most expensive Travel agency in Granada and an overpriced taxi, which would have not been our choice if someone truly helpfully told us that taking an international Tica bus would would be no hustle.

Here I would suggest to perhaps close down the hotel during the low season, should the hotel is incapable to accommodate the customers in a proper manner. We didn't ask for much and fairly rated the hotel which in our view is a beautiful property, has good staff and just needs to be managed and be set up according to the standards it aspires to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
As this is now the fourth entry you have made about the Hotel on Trip Advisor—each becoming more and more grave, I must say that I’m sorry you are offended with our rendition of your stay (as per my previous Management Response). I must also say that we don’t condone cyber-bullying and I feel that your repeated posts after I have addressed your concerns qualifies under the definition.

On a personal note, it is with pride and joy that I am in the business of providing a luxurious and comfortable atmosphere and service to guests. I wish that you would have brought up the issues you cite now, at the time so as to solve any inconformities, ensuring a lovelier trip.
Please understand that as you were out of the hotel most of the time, you and I did not see each other although I was present until late your first evening and all day the next day with exception to lunch outside of the hotel. You then left quite early the morning after that. I am available 24hours per day/7 days per week to assist guests with issues of any type –because I care deeply for the guests’ experience, the team and the mission of the hotel (which is to raise money to donate to charity).

To state repeatedly that you were attended by only two staff members as opposed to the six of us who were here daily during your stay (as well as three spa staff) is desceptive to readers.

I will suggest to the Nicaraguan Doctor who owns the spa to place a Visa/Mastercard logo sticker on his menu as he does accept credit cards as well as cash.

Regarding the core issues of your review

Granada is a very busy city with what feels like a lot of traffic due to the narrow streets. Unfortunately, all hotels in the historical district face the same challenge. We control what we can and are particularly conscious of guests’ need to unwind by offering many sofas (and now hammocks) for lounging around the garden and pool areas comfortably with complimentary reading materials and wifi, always maintaining a quiet ambient with no public thoroughfare. As well, the on-site spa treatments are available seven days/ week (at a 10% discount to hotel guests). We also cut a deal with a local gym to provide complimentary memberships for those who relax through exercise. It rained heavily during your stay and perhaps some of these options weren’t very appealing to you.

The “basic and hard” conditions of your 500 sq.foot guestroom include $10 000 of tasteful antique furnishings, like a King-sized gorgeous canopy bed. There is a couple who have booked out that particular room every March for three years for two weeks a time. We certainly could have provided you with a different room had you mentioned anything at any point. I regret that a bat flew in and then out of your room once, when the door was left open at dusk as our Spanish courtyards are open to the sky. It would be misleading to readers to suggest bats live in our guestrooms and implausible that a guest would continue to stay in such a place.
With crepes, pancakes, eggs any style, granola, yogurt + on the menu, I’m not sure why rice and beans were ordered the second morning if they were inedible the first.

I’m not sure why someone would continue to order water from a moldy pitcher either or at least have it changed for another.

We did recommend Tierra Tour to you, which offers professional, bilingual, insured and bonded service and at prices that are competitive with other similar groups that have their own transportation. There are individual cheaper guides who approach clients on the street and for the safety and security of our guests, we cannot recommend them. La Calzada, (the main strip) has a number of agencies to choose from on the way to Tierra Tour and I understand from your glowing Trip Advisor review of them, you went there in person opting to spend the following day with them. We don’t consider recommending their service as up-selling –we feel we have done our homework and need to recommend what is best for guests.

Regarding transportation.. Perhaps you forget that as the Reception/Concierge of the Hotel, Miguel investigated the options for you out of concern for your safety that you not board a chicken bus as you were considering and provided you with the prices of a personal driver and Tica Bus on a piece of paper. He arranged the driver at your request because it was comparably priced to the value of two bus tickets. As well, I discussed the international buses with your partner myself, via email three months before your trip, giving him the company names and purchase information.

I respectfully ask that this be the last of the discussion between us.
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at La Bocona December 26 to 29th 2011, so meant to write this review earlier. The hotel is a beautifully restored colonial house in downtown Granada. Since the hotel was full, they relocated us to a highly recommended, very comfortable secluded apartment just down the street. The staff was so friendly with us, every morning we felt like having breakfast with relatives. The breakfast was outstanding with fresh fruit, juice and a solid main course like gallo pinto, eggs.... Being from Costa Rica, we were blown away by the romantic Granada setting and the impeccable service at La Bocona. Would recommend to any couple. Juan & Ana.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you so much for keeping our hotel in mind all this time later -- Clearly, we made a great impression on you which is what we strive to do!

Hopefully, we'll see you both again this year? The team and I would love to.

Warm regards,
Nadene
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

La Bacona is a wonderful Spanish colonial home that has been converted to a six room hotel. The owner has maintained the historical Spanish charm of the hotel. The rooms are spacious with very comfortable beds. There are two courtyards. One contains the pool. A full breakfast is included in the price. The staff is excellent. There is also a spa on the property.

• Stayed August 2012
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
You and your family are so great! So nice to have met you all and I look forward to your return later in the coming months. Thank you for the review!
Fruita, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We decided that for our one year wedding anniversary we wanted a little adventure. Central America sounded like the perfect fit! From the moment we arrived, we felt so welcome. The hotel is just beautiful and the staff perfect. Berta helped us to find amazing deals on excursions and to navigate our way through the city. We spoke very little spanish and appreciated how nice everyone was. One of our favorite parts was waking up every morning and having the lovely morning staff cook us breakfast. Nellie, Margarita and Rosa took such good care of us, and we shared so many laughs! We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
LaBocona, General Manager at Hotel La Bocona, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you so much for having chosen La Bocona for this special first anniversary!
You were fantastic guests and we feel deeply satisfied that we were able to assist in making your trip a wonderful one.
Hoping you both return again soon...

Been to Hotel La Bocona? Share your experiences!