“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Catedral 3c al lago Calle la Calzada, Granada, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #33 of 34 Hotels in Granada
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

One of the best location in the city. Just on the center of the bars & restaurant area. I dont know why its got not good reviews on Tripadvisor - we had a very good experiance. The kitchen can be better - don't count it as a pro‛.

• Stayed December 2011

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

I had read about the bed bugs on here and still stayed. The first time i had no bed bugs. The second time the bugs paid me a visit. What can I say, hotel staff treated me very well the first time/ I left my phone in the room when I left for the bus terminal, and they sent soneone with my phone after me so I eould get it. I checked out and told them about the problem, whether they take care of the problem I do not know. But the room with bugs I was in is No 16. I am leaving an average rating just cause they treated me well the first time. But now I know tripadvisor recommedations do carry their weight!

• Stayed January 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

Walked in after a Long travel day (intrepid tour) and walked out again. Room was filthy, dark, light switches sparked and the shower was unspeakably horrid. Aircon was Offered for an extra 20 USD but the room did not have it available. Later told by group member who stayed there was no hot water and was
Very noisey.

• Stayed December 2011
Antigua, Guatemala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Stayed here as it was recommeneded by the Lonely Planet. On the first night my partner woke up at 4am itching, when we turned on the light he had about 15 bites that had come up in welts. Saw a bug on wal and bed, killed them it was bed bugs! Told a member of staff who didn't seem too fussed and moved rooms. Checked the walls of the room in daylight and found bed bugs living in the cracks. Told them again and even showed them, the guy just nodded, again not really bothered. Finally found a room that was ok but should have just left. The worst part was they continued to put people in the rooms with the bed bugs. The hostel has the potential to be good as it has a good area downstairs with a kitchen (although there are a load of mice living in there) and rooms are a good price with a private bathroom but they need to give it a good deep clean and fumigation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

I stayed here on a GAP tour and found it to be a decent place as long as you are not expecting luxury.
It is right on the main pedestrian street about 3 mins from the main square with loads of great bars, cafes and restaurants.
The rooms are tiny and do not have air comn and the bathroom are ridiculously tiny. But it is clean and great value.
The staff are very courteous and overall I would recommend this as decent stop for a short stay.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room, much breezier.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed at Hospedaje Cocibolca for 3 nights at the end of April. I joined a tour group (Volcano Trail, eastbound) through a tour company (Gap Adventures) on my own on April 21, and I stayed at this hotel the nights of the 27th, 28th, and 29th (I had a roommate - a fellow traveller from my group). In total we (those of us part of the tour group) occupied 9 rooms in the hotel during this time. Now, for the nitty-gritty...

THE ROOMS -

Heat:
The hotel was BASIC - very very basic. There is no air conditioning (or at least my room didn't have any - not even the OPTION for a/c), which is not extraordinarily odd for Central America, but because it was so hot in Granada , it was WAYYY too hot in the rooms. Of the 9 different cities and hotels I stayed in during my travels, this was by far the hottest and most uncomfortable. The hotel provided one oscillating fan per room, however the one in my room looked like it had never been cleaned - for something like 5 years! It was COVERED in LAYERS of dust, and was not even close to sufficient for cooling my rommmate and I down. Since the hotel was not at capacity when I was there, we asked the guy at the front desk if we could take a fan from an unoccupied room, which he was OK with. We then removed the front cages from each fan, wiped down the blades so that they were as dust-free as we could possibly get them, and then set the fans NOT to oscillate and directed one on each of us at all times that we were in the room :).
As a tip, 3 of the 9 rooms occupied by travelers with my group were on the second floor of the hotel. Because of the layout of the hotel (somewhat open-roofed), they are exposed to sunlight. The people in these rooms said that when they returned to them at the end of the afternoon, that they would be STIFLING. My recommendation? If you do decide to stay here, make sure you ask for a room on the first floor!

Showers:
The temperature of the water was cool (not cold, and could not get hot water if you tried - but why would you!). I took 3 showers a day while there, and they were a small piece of heaven - the only somewhat temporary escape from the heat.

Bugs:
You may (will likely) find bugs in your room (cockroaches, geckos, etc). Some of the rooms have rather large (the size of 2 fists) open cutouts (sans netting) along the top of the wall where it intersects with the ceiling, so it is quite likely you will have some unwanted visitors. When we arrived, my roommate & I found a dead bug of some sort stuck to the floor - it had to be pried off. The second morning we were there, as my roommate stood up from using the toilet, a cockroach ran out from under the base of the toilet. We ended up running to the front desk (this trip made me realize how much I dislike bugs lol) and the guy working there came to our room, sprayed Raid on the roach, and took him out of our room for us (laughing the whole time through).
Also - BED BUGS. Since my aunt works at a hotel here in the Toronto-area, she told me how common bed bugs and how to check for them (just lifting up the sheets and looking between them and the blanket, and them and the mattress). Every night at every hotel (even if it was the second night at the same hotel!), I checked. Well, am I ever glad I did, because one girl on my trip got bed bug bites the first two nights we were at this hotel. She woke up on morning one all itchy, and then morning two she was so itchy that she woke up in the middle of the night. She turned on the light, and lo and behold, saw all these little black bugs. She ended up changing rooms for the third night (and the hotel gave her a room with a/c for free [I believe the normal charge is an additional $15/day]). Moral of that story? Check your sheets each day & night!

Miscellaneous about the hotel:
- There is a kitchen with fridge for guests, though I never used it.
- There are several rocking chairs throughout, which are nice to lounge in when killing time (cooler than in the rooms!).
- There is free wifi available (I believe), but to use the desktop computer (there is 1) costs something like $1/half hour, or something like that.

Other than that, it's in a great, very centrally located place, right along the strip of where the main restaurants and bars are (a street which is closed off to cars). It is about a 10 minute walk from the lake (very buggy there). I think Granada is a great city, and a great cultural experience, and was probably my favourite place of the 9 cities I visited. With that being said, I would recommend staying at a different hotel.

//The only other place I stayed in Nicaragua was Ometepe, at a hotel called Albergue Ecologico or something like that. I am not going to write a review on it, but if you have any specific questions about that place (nice place but bug INFESTED, worst experience of my life), feel free to send me a PM!//

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are cooler than those on the 2nd.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Chichester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Booked by Journey Latin America we refused to stay more than one night. The rooms were dirty, the light did not work nor the toilet flush. The towels smelt as did the bed linen.Pillows so lumpy used my towel. I slept in the single bed as I thought less people would have done so and still got bitten. There was a carpet between the beds which when lifted up made me feel ill. The whole room and furniture should have been gutted long ago. Staff not in the least bit bothered. There is much better available in Copan as we found out the next day and moved!

• Stayed March 2011

Been to Hospedaje Cocibolca? Share your experiences!