“Thanks for your understanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Silas B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Casa Silas B & B
206 Calle La Concepcion, Granada, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #3 of 44 Granada B&B and Inns
Randers
“Thanks for your understanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We booked 3 nights at Silas. Because of crazy US policy on transit flights (U need a visa just for transit, and my wife as a polish citizen,is not entitled to have the visa waiver, so there is not enough time to get the visa before going)This means that we're not able to make it to Nicaragua. Even with two fully paid plane tickets (Bought in march 2013). We prepaid 3 nights and taxi at Silas. Casa Silas returned the last two + the taxi fare at once, when they heard about our misery. Thats great and good customer service.

We cant say anything about the rooms. But this is surely good service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Copan, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We loved our stay at Casa Silas and would highly recommend it for anyone that loves small B&B's with personal service. Rob was helpful in every way, advice with restaurants, things to do, and needs at the hotel. Casa Silas is very small, only two rooms, so if you are looking for something quaint, relaxing, and unique then this is your place.

We live in Copan Ruinas and don't get good bacon very often so the bacon at breakfast was a huge plus!

Apologies to Rob for the tardiness of the review...thought it was already done!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I recently stayed with Rob and Caudia on the first night of our two week adventure driving through much of Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Their home was so welcoming. A real piece of paradise in the middle of their quaint town. The beautiful soaker pool in the garden courtyard is so clean and a great relief from the August heat and a long trip from Canada. Breakfast was delicious and satisfying with eggs, beans, fruit and other accompaniments. Both Rob and Caudia were so helpful and accommodating. Being able make a few calls home (I believe its Vonage they have) because of unexpected news was a great convenience and they went out of their way to help us do that. I can't say enough about the great value their property holds as an oasis of comfort.

Room Tip: There are only a couple of rooms and both are lovely
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This B&B is located about 10 minutes by foot of Granada's Central Park. The street in which Casa Silas is located is very quiet and safe. Walking to the Central Park and Calle La Calzada at all times of the day is very safe. The room that I stayed at was very spacious, with a comfortable queen sized bed (the pillows could be better though, I ended up using my travel pillows while staying there). The bathroom was very spacious as well, with a big shower. The house and the room/bathroom were clean as well. I liked that the AC is powerful and keeps the room cold during those hot nights. The breakfasts were really good and generous (though breakfast can get boring since it is the same breakfast everyday, at least for the 4 days that we stayed there). I liked the fact that Casa Silas has a washer/dryer and you can do your laundry pretty quickly ($5 dollars per load). Rob and Claudia are very friendly and lovely to talk to. The dogs, Silas and Pepper, are very cute and friendly as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at Casa Silas!
The people: Rob and Claudia are gracious hosts with excellent recommendations. They are really helpful about setting up trips and arranging rides.
The room: The artwork is beautiful, the room is really spacious, and the shower is enormous. Plus, there is a fan in the room and AC for hot nights.
The hotel: The house is beautiful with a small pool that seems to stay cool even when the day is hot.
The food: Breakfasts are excellent and filling enough that you probably won't need lunch!
Location: Casa Silas is located three blocks from the central square-- a short walk from everything in Granada. We (two women) had no problem walking home from the town center by ourselves at night.
Laundry: Rob and Claudia have a washer and dryer on premise so laundry is done really quickly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

First, let me say that I only give this a 3 star review based on the house, room and bathroom appointments. I couldn't give an excellent five star rating based solely on the owners and their animals, although, they do deserve five stars. I feel it is also important to be honest so that one can be clear on what to expect when booking a reservation.

Yes, Rob, Claudia, Silas and Pepper are all fabulous house mates and I wouldn't complain about any of them. Rob is a gracious host and did everything within his immediate power to make our stay enjoyable. He is a great source of information and in fact operates and owns the website vidagranada.com, which is a great source for all things Nica, but advertisers pay to be part of the site, so just because they are listed doesn't mean they are the best.

That said, there are a few things that I feel are worthy of mentioning. This is listed as the # 1 B&B in Granada, but I have stayed in number 2 and number 3 B&B's too and I think they have more to offer when it comes to space in the B&B and the rooms/baths themselves. The room I stayed in for 2 nights at Silas was fine, but very small (you could literally fit 2 of this room in one of the rooms at the #2 & 3 B&B's). It's certainly not on par with its competition and I'm finding it difficult to understand why no one is talking about this. That said, here it goes....

The room I stayed in was very small and musky (when not running the air, which we only did at night because we felt conservation was important). While the bed was relatively comfortable (i use this term loosely) the pillows left a LOT to be desired. The two pillows provided, if stuffing removed and combined, would not make a single good pillow, let alone two. No biggie, just being honest.

There is nowhere to really sit comfortably in the house ( as in lounging) other than in your bed. Yes there is a single chair in the room I stayed in and there is an outdoor style deck table and chairs by the pool, but there is no real cushiony comfy place to hang out. No biggie, just note worthy. Maybe lying in bed wasn't comfy because the pillows were nonexistent. :)

The bathroom in my particular room was clean and had all the comforts of home, except a place to put all of your toiletries. Yes there is warm water and plenty of pressure, but the decor is not what one might expect as the number one B&B (again only comparing to the others I stayed in while visiting). The other number 2 & 3 B&B's decor are VERY nice, bedding plush and room appointments make you feel like you're staying in a high end place. In my humble opinion, Casa Silas feels more like staying in someone's home that lives humbly in Nicaragua, which, is exactly what it is! It's not well presented as a B&B and could use a facelift on decor in the rooms and baths.

The WIFI works great. Rob does well making breakfast on his own. He's a hard working, very down to earth, approachable Canadian, living his dream in Nica. What can I say? If my review was solely based on the hosts I would give it 5 stars, but people aren't being candid about the actual home/room appointments in their reviews.

The other number 2&3 B&B's do a better job at making you feel comfortable to use the kitchen, access the fridge, etc. (this was my experience). It's not that anyone did anything to make me feel uncomfortable, it's just apparent that you are staying in someone's home. There is no filtered water and no bottled water, sobering your own. Rob also does not keep beer or liquor on hand (the other B&B's do and it's set up on an honesty policy. This comes in very handy when it's late and you wanna drink without having to go to Calzada or a restaurant. Silas isn't the closest B&B to Central Park or any restaurants for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, please, none of this is meant as complaining. I am just feel like most people are only sharing their opinion of the hosts and not being 100% honest about the actual house and what it offers. I'm just incredibly perplexed about the ranking of this particular B&B. Is it reservation worthy?, of course. Should it be ranked in the top 3?, not in my opinion, unless one is basing their entire stay on the hosts alone. The house itself leaves much to be desired in comparison to Miss Margrits and Casa Cubana that's all I'm saying here.

So I will end again by saying that Rob is great, incredibly helpful and a nice guy. So, make a reservation, but be expecting quite a bit less in the way of room and bath and house luxury if you book. If you are looking for room to spread out, lounge and stay a while this is not the best place for you. There are other B&B's better suited for a 3 or more night visit.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms and they share a wall to the bathroom that separates them.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Rob and Claudia were wonderful and helpful hosts, the place is fantastic, clean and comfortable and the pool was wonderful for a morning, day or night swim. we couldnt have been happoer. also tasty breakfast and lovely dogs!.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Silas B & B? Share your experiences!