“Friendly staff, but beware--BEDBUGS” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hospedaje La Libertad

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Hospedaje La Libertad
You added Hospedaje La Libertad to your Saves list
Avenida 14 de Septiembre, Granada 1000, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #18 of 37 Specialty Lodging in Granada
Altagracia
“Friendly staff, but beware--BEDBUGS”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The staff at La Libertad is extraordinarily friendly. At $6/night for a bunk, week membership at Granada's best gym, and free salsa lessons, it's very economical. My girlfriend and I picked a private room because, split between two, it was even cheaper than the dorms. However, the management has failed to uphold a basic threshold of hygiene. There was often no soap at the general bathroom sink. Most of the sheets had period stains on them. There is a severe mosquito problem but no mosquito nets. And, most concerning of all, one morning I awoke with 60+ bedbug bites all over my legs, back, and arms. I later found two bedbugs strolling across the sheets.

To be fair, we stayed at La Libertad during three separate visits for a total of 9 nights, and only on the 8th did the bedbug problem emerge. Also, my girlfriend was not bitten by a single bedbug (although she was by countless mosquitos). When I brought it to the attention of the staff, they moved my girlfriend and I into another (nicer) room and gave us one free night. It was a generous gesture, but hardly enough to compensate us for the burden of having to throw out a number of clothes and souvenirs in which the bugs could have laid eggs, the puss-filled bites I had to deal with, and, finally, having to fumigate my remaining clothing and suitcases with a heavy pesticide. While the staff were very friendly (especially the two women who work at the counter and the salsa instructor/nightshift worker), we will not be returning to La Libertad. Too dirty, and too many biting bugs.

Room Tip: I was attacked by bedbugs in the private room that goes for $10/night, two doors away from the showe...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Groningen, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I've stayed here one night. We chose this place because it had an airport pickup, but it was not a nice experience. We had made a reservation for a double room, four days in advance. When we came there, around midnight and after 24 hours of travelling, there was no room available. We could only sleep in a hammock and because it was night and we were tired we didn't want to go and search for another place to sleep so we stayed. There weren't enough lockers, so we got a closet to store our bags. This was very dirty and there were used condoms lying on the floor. The dormroom itself was dirty as well. The rooms border to the courtyard. This looks nice, but during nighttime there are people drinking beers and making noise and they walk in and out of the rooms the whole night and the doors are left open. This may be nice when you like to party yourself, but you cannot get a normal night of sleep there. I have also seen the double rooms in which we were supposed to stay. They also border to the courtyard and they were so small, only a bed fitted in there. Toilets and showers were dirty. Unfortunately I cannot be positive about my stay there. The next morning we left to Oasis, which is way better!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Firstly the dorm matresses are covered in plastic and then fabric so ever time you move, it makes the plastic cracking sound, unpleasant! Then the dorm bed i was given rocked so much, i was suprised it didnt break with me on it for the whole night. Then the music they played in the early evening is played so loud that you can not have a conversation with someone sitting right next to you. I asked them to turn it down and the staff member just refused and pretended not to understand english or sign language (sign language for turn the music down, its hurting my ears, is pritty universal)
I had been traveling all day and was quite tired but was forced to go walk around at night just to escape the deafening music.
The bathrooms are horrible! There is no toliet lid on the girl's toilet and no table or anything, so nowhere to put your clothes and things while u shower, no place to hang your towel and no place to put any of your shower toiletaries.... I had to put my stuff on the floor which totaly grossed me out!
Then to top it all off, there is only one basin for everyone in the hostel. I had to wait in a queue to brush my teeth in the morning.
And lastly, the lighting in the dorm was terrible! it gave it a very dingy dark, scummy feel, which is what it is really!
I would not stay there again if you paid me!

Room Tip: Choose any other room in granada!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Findhorn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We volunteered at La Libertad for three nights – working on reception from 3pm – 8.30pm. Our accomodation was free and we received 60 cordobas each towards an evening meal. Volunteers can also purchase beer at half price. The manager, Johana, is so welcoming and grateful for help. La Libertad is a laid back, rustic establishment and a place to chill out in the two-man hammocks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bridport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I chose La Libertad mainly for the free shuttle bus that they put on to Treehouse Poste Rojo. I spent 2 nights in the girls dorm. I was welcomed by a very friendly Italian dude who showed me different room options - two very crowded dorms or the female dorm which was empty. I opted for that one for peace and quiet and for the large private bathroom attached, which had an excellent big shower. The matress was pretty poor...very thin foam and I could feel every slat in the bunk bed, which was a shame and really let the room down. I've had much better in other hostels in central america. There are nice communal areas with hammocks and lounging chairs, but people weren't really interested in talking to me - maybe I looked too unapproachable and should have made the first move, but then again I have no trouble meeting people in other hostels. There was a large group of drunken french men sharing the room next door to my dorm who were drinking loudly very late into one night, which isn't good as the rooms are open to the outside space so I found my stay very noisy. I was also bitten to pieces - I don't think it was bedbugs, but I'm blaming mosquitos. The location was good though, just a couple of blocks from the centre of the city and the buses. There was a busy noticeboard with loads of info about the hostel, Granada and further afield which is useful. There was also nightly free salsa, which would be cool if you like that sort of thing. Wouldn't choose to stay here again though. The sad face on the fairly ill very pregnant little cat kind of summed up how I felt about the place! Not for me!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

I enjoyed my stay here it is a great hostel in an old colonial house.

it has dorms, kitchen, hammocks (best double hammocks ever) terrace, huge rooms, lockers, great showers.

I stayed in the girls room and had a good nights sleep

the location is perfect as you can walk to all attracions

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
UK/Spain/New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I had a nice chilled out stay here with friends, enjoyed the patio, hammocks and social spaces. We paid between $5-$7 per person for private rooms. The $5 room was small and dingy, but it had a fan and we slept well. No problems with bed bugs - they did fumigate the place the day we left so perhaps they are trying to address the problem.

One of our group lost his passport while we were at the hostel, and it was handed in the following day by one of the workers. We also left a pair of hiking boots in the room when we left, and came back the next day when they were returned to us with no hassle.

We came back to try and stay here again on the weekend after our original stay and the place was full of young American tourists, much more of a party atmosphere and not the laid back place we had enjoyed, so it might be different on the weekends!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hospedaje La Libertad? Share your experiences!