“One week; great experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nicaragua Mia Spanish School

Nicaragua Mia Spanish School
On Caimito Street. From Central Park 3 1/2 Blocks towards the lake, Granada, Nicaragua
+505 2552-0347
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 37 activities in Granada
Type: Classes/Workshops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Nicaragua Mía Spanish School is owned and operated by a cooperative of professional women with more than 13 years of experience teaching Spanish as Second Language.We offer Highly-experienced, friendly, professional Nicaraguan teachers . We combine a professional environment with friendship familiarizing you with the social, political, and cultural realities of Nicaragua. We offer classes for all of levels of learning and a total immersion in Spanish with customized classes and you can start any day!The school has several principal packages: One on one intense course, Travelers Spanish, Business Spanish, Medical Spanish, Special Programs for Professional and Students, Special Programs for children and much more...Also, We offer the best Transnica Program in our 4 Schools in Nicaragua: Spanish School in Granada, Apoyo Lagoon, Leòn, San Jual del Sur!!!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
“One week; great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I just finished a week at Nicargua Mia and I enjoyed myself tremendously. I had Martha as my teacher and I stayed by Doña Mercedes. From start to end it was a great experience as I was picked up at the airport by a taxi and we chatted along the way. We first stopped a the school where I met Carla and Martha and then went to my home stay. The homestay had different meals every meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and it was great. I had my own room and was complete with a fan. The homestay was completely in Spanish, which is what I wanted to push myself to the next level.

I came into the experience expecting to improve my Spanish as I have taken classes before and could hold a conversation, with someone but needed to reduce the errors I make while speaking, which is different from doing book exercises. My Spanish has definitively improved. The classes were 99% done in Spanish, which is what I had asked for. Towards the last few days I had written homework which was fun. The afternoon activities were also great. We went to Laguna de Apoyo, Los mercados de Masaya, did a bicycle tour around Granada and Posintepe, and went to the Mirador a Catarina. It was great, I met cool people at the school and in all had a lot of fun.

I would do this again in a heartbeat, and would totally recommend the experience to anyone.

Visited May 2014

3 attraction reviews
“Home accomadations is a big draw back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

As you are looking for a school to attend in Nicaragua to study Spanish, I would highly suggest you forget it.
The schools are over-priced (teachers are paid more than police or fireman). 95% of the teaching staff has not finished their university studies and I have never met one teacher yet with a teacher’s certificate.
However, they are consistent. They will try very hard to keep speaking Spanish to you – even if you are having difficulty.
English is taught her in the schools by “volunteer foreigners” but if you expect any type of an on going Spanish from someone free – forget it. They expect the English free, but you pay for any after Spanish class help you may want or need.
The standard mode of teaching for you is take you through the basics but they are based an making such they teach you 7 basic grammar rules in the order of the time you spend there.
Your actual need of speech, or local knowledge is ignored and repeated sessions are unheard of.
Each country has a different teaching style, as I have taught in other countries and this the particular style od Nicaragua – you will be taken through 7 of the many grammar rules like it or not.
Some schools are associated with “live-in” or home accommodations but here you need to be very careful, as over-charging you in the home becomes a common practice. As a rule - ask about timely meals, linen, showers, house rules and always look for alternative ways to get around – buses and stay away from the tourist district as they assume you all loaded wit money.
Spanish in Costa Rica is more traditional and less slang. Even schools in Antigua, Guatemala (about 10 miles outside of Guatemala City) are developing a good education reputation.

Visited December 2013
windham, me
10 attraction reviews
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I did this Spanish school and homestay for 1 week with my 10 month old daughter. What a great experience! My homestay family (Amalia Morales) was welcoming and incredibly accommodating to me and my daughter. Unfortunately I got really sick while studying and missed 2 days of school but my instructor Yelandy was more than happy to meet me on Saturday to let me make up the lost time. It was hot and kind of tiring only sitting in the classroom for 4 hours so we often went on walks to nearby Parque Central or el mercado which was a welcome change of pace. Afternoon excersions were great, I went to the markets in Masya and Laguna de Apoyo and it was less about Spanish, more about just getting out but that was great for me.

Visited April 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Bastante Excelente”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

First let me say that I had an issue with the deposit, it's a long story, but I ended up paying the deposit twice. I was really afraid that I would never see that money again. However, once we figured out the issue, the good folks at Nicaragua Mia sent me a refund for the extra deposit right away. I'm infinitely appreciative at how friendly and willing to work with me in resolving that issue, even though it was after I got back home and we were communicating over email from opposite ends of the continent.

The lessons themselves were excellent, and I really felt that la profesora took my language education personally, like she genuinely cared if I was understanding what we were working on or not. I also really enjoyed when we just talked, and I feel like I got to learn a lot about Nicaragua.

The homestay was also very good, again, everyone was super friendly, and patient with my mistakes, and for the most part willing to slow down their speech so I could understand and we could have a conversation.

I also really liked how everyone only spoke in Spanish, since immersion is really the best way to learn. Unfortunately, I think some of my Spanish has deteriorated from staying in hostals with English speaking tourists, and since returning home. Maybe I'll have to plan another visit to Nicaragua Mia...

Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“What a wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Just spent a week in the all-inclusive program at Nicaragua Mia. It was fabulous. Loved my teacher, Martha, and learned so much in our daily one-on-one lessons. My homestay was fantastic. I stayed with Maria Elena in her house 10 minutes from the school. She is a very lovely person, and I hope to stay in touch with her. Her house was very comfortable, with a good bed and even air conditioning. Her meals were wonderful. We requested classic Nicaraguense food and that's what we got. Other students staying there spoke English, but we managed to stick to Spanish much of the time. I'd go back in a heartbeat. The whole week now feels like a wonderful dream.

Visited April 2014