“good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nirvana Resort Koh Chang

You added Nirvana Resort Koh Chang to your Saves list
Nirvana Resort Koh Chang
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   12/4 - 5 Moo 1, Bangbao | Koh Chang Tai, Trat, Ko Chang 23170, Thailand (Formerly Nirvana Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Ko Chang
London, United Kingdom
“good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

This place is a great resort in koh chang.
The room I’m staying in is huge and beautifully decorated

we had a room wright by the sea

the staff are very helpful with any requests and speak English
There a swimming pools overlooking Bangbao

The food at the restaurant is very good the sausage and bread
is the best i have had on the island

Overall this is the perfect place to get away for a break

if i have to say one thing that lets the resort down is no beach
but the beach is only down the road

for me i was happy there is no beach as you can sit by the pool and relax

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chanthaburi, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I recently paid 50% to cancel at another place not far away called Bhuvarin Resort (Do Not Stay There).
Don’t worry about this place, its a bit old or ants or any of the things I hear about from Farangs, this is a 5 Star place & the staff are speaking English & the food is Fantastic. I am an Aussie & live about 80km up the road. The fresh baked bread each day is 10 Star. I think a Pommie built this place & looking at the staff I can guess where he lives & I guess that he bought service staff from Pattaya to run the place,,,, Fantastic Staff!
If you want to go out on boats then this is the place to stay.
If you want to Chill then this is THE Place, 2 pools, Sundeck bar, jungle walks, Ocean rock walks & they have their own beach looking at Bang Boa Pier!
I guess I am gushing but the other place was a Nightmare!
Cheers, Ed

Room Tip: Book the red & white boats for your island trips
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We stayed at Nirvana in December 2013. On arrival we were met by the Reception staff, then another member of staff appeared and they disappeared into the back office. We were only left waiting for 5 minutes but didn't give us the best first impression. The Receptionist came back and we confirmed our reservation. The lady asked how we wanted to pay and we confirmed that it would be either cash or credit card. She told us there was a 3% charge on credits cards (we were not told them when we booked). She then asked us to pay for our stay (which was more than a week) I told her I would not pay until the end, she didnt look very happy but I was not prepared to pay, we hadn't even seen the room! Then a guy came and took us to our room. He was great, he checked everything worked and showed us the air conditioning etc. The room is great, very rustic but very good and has everything you need. The bathroom was amazing! My only moan would be there is one wardrobe with 3 hangers! There were two of us and we could have done with more hangers. The only other problem with the room was our neighbours! The walls are very very thin and every night when they came home at about 2am we were woken up. You can hear everything through the walls and if people come in with shoes on its very loud! I appreciate this is not the Hotels fault but try and book one of the bungalows that are on their own. We then went to Tantra for dinner as we had arrived late. Yes its a bit slow service but the view was amazing and we had a bottle of wine so we didn't worry. We had the fried fish and rice and it was really good. Yes its a bit more expensive than in the Village but not much and it was really good. The guy who served us was helpful and and told us where everything was. Next morning we had breakfast which is a choice of 15 items. Fruit and bread are readily available. We tried most things on the menu and they were all good, especially the French Toast! The service was again a bit slow but its such a beautiful place to eat we didn't worry and the two guys that work in there were friendly and helpful. The pool is great, didn't use the rock pool and it was shady. The sunset bar is lovely but closes at 7 and after 7 you can't get a drink in the Hotel unless you go to the Restaurant. Would be nice to have the sunset bar open later as the setting is really beautiful, but get there early! There are lots of monkeys around which is great, although they do run across the roof very early in the morning, but they were very entertaining. All in all we had a fantastic stay apart from the Reception staff who I found both unhelpful and sometimes rude. If we walked past them they never said hello (all the other staff did) looked uninterested when you spoke to them and when we asked them to book a taxi for us to the ferry they said yes then asked if we could remind them the day before! We shouldn't need to remind them! They never really made any effort when walking around and this was disappointing but we had a great stay and all in all a good resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Nirvana accommodation was the best we had on our 2.5 week trip by far, loved the peace and quiet, pool area nice but be aware there is no beach at the resort. Not that the beach is far away, and we quite enjoyed the walk as something to do, we took their boat transfer the first day to orientate ourselves but walked thereafter (15mins after you walk to the fishermans village which is another 10mins). Boat transfer is great but only one drop off at 11.30 and one pick up at 4pm. Of course if you rent a motorbike then getting to the beach is no problem.
Fishermans village is the place to eat with some great meals in the different restaurants, including El Greco when we felt like something different. Find the shortcut to the village and remember to take your torch with you for the walk back!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Koh Chang might still have pirates but they are not here. All good and great fun for us. We tried the Pattaya version and it was ok but the real McCoy is here on wild and wonderful Koh Chang. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Nantwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Bang Bao is a lovely place, quiet and kind of 'end-of-the-road' (actually the road really ends there): isolated from it lies the Nirvana Resort. I don't know why they call it a Spa since the sauna was being tiled and the only hint at a spa was a girl on the side of the pool offering massage. Allegedly there are 2 pools but the rock pool in the jungle is shaded by trees and left to its own devices, so it was full of leaves and felt abandoned. The 'proper' pool is quite nice and deep, but again very shaded by trees so if you wish to sunbathe you have to keep following the sun.
When we arrived the shower delivered only very tepid water so we complained. The first worker that came said it was OK, so I went straight back and said that was NOT normal. The following day they changed the shower and everything was fine after that. Towels were not provided freely: sometimes we got only the bath towels and no face towels. The bed was not made daily: the top sheet (duvet really) was rearranged but the bottom sheet was not touched. The shower glass partition in the bathroom was streaked (with soap?) when we got there and was still like that the day we left.
For breakfast the restaurant served the best bread I've ever had in a hotel: still warm, crusty and SUPERB. Unfortunately the rest was OK but nothing more than that. You are given set choices and unfortunately the staff don't really know much apart from those. The first day I asked for scrambled eggs and my husband for poached eggs rather than the fixed choices. I was given an omelette with onions and tomatoes and my husband 2 fried eggs. The following day I ordered a rosti (fixed choice) and was given 2 poached eggs on top of a soggy rosti. We never tried the restaurant because the board at the entrance of the restaurant advertising "Chicken Kiev" made us decide to go and eat in Bang Bao.
On the whole the staff are very helpful but it's obvious that most of them haven't been trained properly. We paid 29,000 baht for 5 days B&B which I think is a rip off considered what you can get in Thailand for your money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Richard R, Owner at Nirvana Resort Koh Chang, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
I have noted all your comments and reported back to my staff to examine and comment back to me in order that we can maintain our usual high standards.We take your comments very seriously
I am happy to say we rarely get negative comments related to our breakfasts. We do not offer a buffet apart from fresh fruit and freshly cooked home made bread as we feel our customers deserve better hence the choice of 15 different breakfast dishes cooked freshly and we apologise for your Rosti and will check that on my next visit in 5 days..
Surprisingly "Chicken Kiev" is still popular if done well regardless of it;s rather unfashionable status , maybe we should change the name?.
Finally for what we offer I believe the price to be very reasonable and competitive particularly for an island in Thailand, Thankyou for your kind cpmments and hope you will give us another try.
All the best
Richard Rhodes
CEO Nirvana resorts
Kolbotn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have been to four different resorts at Koh Chang, and this is the nicest one. You're gonna love the bungalows, the view, the breakfast and the city of Bang Bao. A real good place to relax and get away from it all

Room Tip: Bungalows nerxt to the beach are the nicest one
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to Nirvana Resort Koh Chang? Share your experiences!