“Best first trip to ko Chang” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nirvana Resort Koh Chang

You added Nirvana Resort Koh Chang to your Saves list
Nirvana Resort Koh Chang
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   12/4 - 5 Moo 1, Bangbao | Koh Chang Tai, Trat, Ko Chang, Thailand (Formerly Nirvana Resort & Spa)   |
Ranked #21 of 71 Hotels in Ko Chang
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
“Best first trip to ko Chang”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

After a very long time of trying to pick the perfect place to stay for our first trip to Koh Chang we decided on nirvana resort. You get a little deterred reading all the bad comments mixed with good ones so I didn't know what to expect. Let me just add that we are a couple who speaks fluent Thai so any language barriers we wouldn't be aware of. But we got lost quite a few times before we made it to the resort and although we were frequently calling (and probably annoying) the front desk, they were very patient with us.

When we finally got there it was all smiles and everyone was very helpful with our rooms, luggage, introduction to the area and even helping with plans for our whole trip there. Being used to staying in various types of places, we made sure to buy enough snacks for the room (call us cheap and or frugal but we don't like spending 100 baht on a bag of peanuts anywhere) which was a good idea because the room service menu is VERY small and only open during certain time frames.
Also the bar closed quite early so even if we wanted a beer we found it was hard to find.

The room was great!! So worth the price. The bathroom was clean and bath tub was probably one of my favourite parts of the trip. They even had a DVD player and DVDs. We ended up getting a jungle room and I was a little disappointed before I arrived because I wanted a good view. But the jungle room was still a great atmosphere.

The salt water pool on the bottom level was always occupied but not obnoxiously full and the bar was open the whole time. We really loved the jungle pool with water fall because it was completely secluded except for some monkeys. Although I have been told it is used for scuba diving training at times.

The hotel staff helped us a lot to plan day trips but I do have to say they didn't offer us the best experiences, you should always find out from trip advisor. The trips usually have buses to pick you up and drop you off.

Bang bao is walking distance but pitch black at night. We had our private car which was much easier. If you don't have your own car I would recommend getting a bike ONLY if youre an experienced rider because the Koh Chang roads in general are scary. Around bang bao and the resort was fine but anywhere else got quite intimidating!

The breakfast was really quite good but dining at the tantra restaurant in the evening was slightly underwhelming. If you are going to definitely only order the fusion specials because any Thai food can be found better and cheaper in bang bao village.

Oh and don't forget a drink at the sunset deck. Absolutely amazingly chill.

All in all a great holiday. Would definitely go back. And I absolutely fell in love with bang bao.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have been 3 times now because we find it so relaxing. We took my 3 week old baby there with the dog and elderly grandparents the last time we went and we all had a thoroughly relaxing time. The restaurant has great food but be prepared to wait. The pool area is nice and views beautiful. We love the balinese style rooms. The food is good but service is slow. My parents LOVED their bungallow on the waterfront. The staff and friendly and even remember our little dogs name every time we return. The hotel is a little out of the way but you can walk to the pier via a shortcut (ask the staff and take a torch) and eat at the fab Buddaview restaurant (great atmosphere and food). A car/bike is recommended but you can manage without. One of fav places to stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The place is a little bit outside of tourist-life and its great - at night you can hear the jungle and in the morning monkeys come to your porch for banana breakfast. Amenities and service are very good, really 4-star stanadrd.

You can go by hotel car-transfer to the beach or to the village to dine out - it's 5 minute ride and free. You can walk there also - 15 min. The beach at the hotel is not Ok for swimming, but pools are great. You can snick to the rock pool alone when its dark - it's amazing to swim in the heart of the jungle under the stars!

Take a jungle walk that goes through the hotel area, you can find a sun-set terrace and take great photos.

I didn't enjoy the restaurant much, those in the bay, 5 min drive are so much better - and more affrodable either. Try their thai specialities and sea-food first then for a difference try something French at Nirvana and come back to Thai food again)

Room Tip: All rooms are really large and have a gigantic stone bath, don't overpay for a bungalow. Save so...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very nice place and quiet. Some monkeys during the morning and evening. Nice pool and very clean. There is another deep pool on the site, You can stay on the site with all service, bar, restaurant (very good).
The restaurant offer nice meal and a selection of wine. The breakfast was excellent every morning we stayed there. The staff is not really smily but they were OK.
No beach but they offer to me to go with a small boat on a beach on the other side of the peer.
you can reach the peer by foot or the resort offer to you a taxi during the evening (free)
The resort needs some repairs and stain coat at this price but the rooms are very comfortable and nice.
It is a very quiet place if you want to relax, it is not for a place for party.

Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The overall long journey from Cape Town took its toll on me and I was not feeling very well when we arrived at Nirvana very late the evening. I was offered a warm herbal tea while we checked in and by the time we were taken to our room, I was feeling revived.
The room was spacious and nicely decorated with rural Thai furniture and linen. The goose down pillows ensured a good night's rest every time. The air conditioner worked very well.
The bathroom was clean and spacious, with fresh towels provided every day. Our room was situated on the rocky beach and we had a clear view of the sunrise every morning.
The pools and sunset deck were gorgeous. The hotel offered free transfer by boat to the nearby beach, as well as the use of their kayaks. They also arranged for the rental of a scooter to investigate the rest of the island.
The only item I did not find comfortable and up to standard at the resort was the massage service. It was done by a mother and daughter at the pool, and although under cover, the afternoon sun still shone directly on you. The massage was also not what you expect of the legendary Thai standard and during my foot massage, a towel was not placed under my knees to protect my lower back.
All in all, we found the staff friendly and helpful. The breakfast was reasonable but I enjoyed their dinner (Thai) menu more. In the end, we extended out stay at Nirvana with 1 day because we enjoyed it so much.

Room Tip: choose the rooms that are directly on the beach.
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

DO NOT STAY AT THIS DREADFUL PLACE!!!! With so much quality choice on this beautiful Island you should not even consider staying in this place. The staff are hostile, offensive, rude, threatening, disrespectful and heavy handed. If you have a problem that you go to them with, they will give you lip service for days and then, at the very last moment turn on you in the worst ways possible.
They completely destroyed our holiday and indeed offended and upset my girlfriend so badly, we didn't survive the journey home. What had been the holiday here we decided to get married became our ending. After nearlty 3 years together. Incredible.
I must, in the interest or fairness explain the circumstances that led to this appaling treatment.
I (like many others) got caught out by the Cypriat banks collapsing whilst we were away.
I realised that this could potentialy cause a payment issue and informed the hotel immediately that we may have a liquidity issue and asked what we could do to resolve this. We agreed between us that as I am a property owner here in Thailand with 3 kids at school here, me leaving my passport, a signed copy of my credit card, my ex wifes details (shes a Thai herself) including copies of our house documents, her thail id card etc etc would be sufficient for them to feel confident that I'd transfer the funds the following week.
We were due to check out on the Friday, this was agreed on the Wednesday. ON Thursday, I reconfirmed that they were happy and handed my passport over and signed the pieces of paper we'd agreed on.
Friday morning arrives, we have a car booked for 10.30 am, my girlfriend (who was unaware of any problems) was due to fly that evening to Europe.
First thing I knew of any problems was 9 am. I was asked to come to reception as they wanted to take my photo. Ok a LITTLE over the top as they already HAD my passport I thought but sure? Why not?
not 10 minutes latter I'm re summoned to reception where a rude and overly officious Thai was having a heated conversation in Thai on the phone.
Lisa the receptionist couldn't meet my eye and wouldn't say anything. I sensed all was not well.
I had no idea HOW not well until this person rudely pushed the phone to me and said "you speak'
I took the phone and it was my ex wife, in tears. telling me this dreadful rude woman had called her demanding full payment instantly or they would call the police and I would be imprisoned untill the bill was settled.
As would my girlfriend.
I obviously arranged to pay the bill immediately with a short term loan from my ex.
Unfourtunatly she was unable to make a payment untill 5pm.
I had at this point to come clean with my other half (leaving out the threats of imprisonment obviously) and she was a little upset but understood. We then left our luggage in reception ( clearly original and expensive Louis Vuitton bags and wandered of to clear our heads, grab some food etc. So they now have conformation from an upstanding professional Thai that the bills being paid, They have my passport, all the paper work we've signed, they have copies of my exs Thai id, her full address, my credit cars AND thousands of dollars worth of luggage.
Leaving aside that if, two days before, when we'd agreed everything they'd have said ''sorry we need full payment before you check out'' I could have (and would have) called my business partner and had him put the bill on his card, sure it would have been a little embarrassing but INFINITELY preferable to what we went through.
But no for 2 full days they were all smiles and 'no problem, that's fine, we need the following, can you sign this/provide the following etc etc bla bla bla. When they did make their total and utter about turn they did so KNOWING I had no time or opportunity to arrange anything else.
Their final insult was the following.
We (obviously) didn't feel like spending any more time on their resort so left to eat at the beach bar next door. its FIFTY meters from their property. No more. And is in full view. I even returned to Niravana TWICE to check on progress. All the staff were fully aware that my girlfriend was not paying the bill or involved in arranging payment and indeed that I had played the incident down so as to not ruin her holiday (which again, they were all aware was her first EVER long haul experience) so what happened next was even more disgusting.
We were lying in hammoks CLEARLY settled in and going no where. when Lisa the receptionist stormed over demanding we return to the resort IMMEDIATELY or they would call the police. This was in front of a packed restaurant and the first my girlfriend knew this was anything other than an annoying logistcal issue. We were then frogmarched back to the resort. My girlfriend was distraught and broke down. Not 5 mins latter we received the call that the money had been transferred into their account, as agreed, and as promised.
There was no thank you, no apology and the ONLY explaination was that my Thai visa was slightly out of date. I found this incredible as I'd had a long conversation with Lisa just the week before about her experiences at the border sorting out her own overstayed visa and it was apparently HER who'd 'spotted' I was in the same boat as she'd been a week before and this somehow made me untrustworthy. But not her it would seem.
The whole experience with horrendus, intimidating and disgraceful.We were both treated like criminals and when we made good immediately, there was no apology, no humility and the fact this entire drama had been carried out in full view of all the other guests just made it worse.
Don't give these pirates your business, as stated in the beginning there are many many beautiful resorts to choose from.Oh and the beach is non existence UNLIKE the cleverly angled photos on their website.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Richard R, Owner at Nirvana Resort Koh Chang, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
My name is Richard Rhodes, I am the owner of Nirvana Resort. I am saddened to hear of the experiences of Mr Micheal H at my resort. As a resort noted for its excellence this is the first time I have had to respond to such complaints. As in all cases of disagreement there are two sides.
I was in fact taking one of my infrequent visits to the resort and happened to meet you and your girlfriend. I am surprised to hear that you are no longer together but feel it would not be correct to blame Nirvana as the sole reason for this. You and your girlfriend had nothing but glowing praise for every aspect of my resort from the rooms to the service and even the restaurant. You did make an explanation of waiting for funds and asked to extend your stay accordingly. There was an assurance that payment would be made however, prior to checkout. This was agreed with my staff and I left for my next appointment. It would appear that matters became protracted and went past the date suggested to me and that there was a possibility of a checkout without payment. I cannot comment about the telephone calls to your ex-wife but feel the talk of police action was taken totally out of context and lost in translation. I cannot check anything with Lisa as she has left to take up another appointment. I would stress my staff are well trained courteous and considerate which is born out by the overwhelming majority of excellent reviews. I can only conclude that the complication of your arrangements coupled with the fact you wish to leave before paying was rather overwhelming for my staff. We do not judge people by their luggage and we have no position in place where people can leave a substantial bill and simply disappear leaving a 'slightly out of date' Thai Visa card.
I am disappointed by the fact that having been so happy at the resort and extolling its praises you should be so scathing in your comments I feel that we showed sensitivity to your position which in itself appeared to finally get a little out of control.
Finally, your claim that we have no beach is not true. I feel I should remind you the resort has a gold sand beach with bungalows like the one you stayed in, only two meters from the sand. We also have a small white sand beach and most unusually a deep water rocky beach. Also if required we have a km White sand beach adjacent to our resort which is famous throughout the World and to which Nirvana take our guests to free of charge.
Heidelberg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a really nice resort with nice, clean and well decorated rooms. The sunset terrase has amazing view to enjoy with some drinks and chillout music ... I loved it. The rock-pool is also pretty cool since it fits perfectly with the nature. The food at the reataurant is also pretty good. The only con of the resort is that is not lying direct at the beach but a boat will take you to the next one. If you feel sporty you can also do kayaking

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Nirvana Resort Koh Chang? Share your experiences!