“Good but perhaps a little complacent?” 4 of 5 stars

Ramayana Koh Chang Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   19/9 Moo 4, Khlong Prao, Ko Chang 23170, Thailand   |
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Ko Chang
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good but perhaps a little complacent?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I stayed in Ramayana way back in 2005 and for sentimental reasons went back there in May 2014, this time with my family as I was telling them how good it was back in 2005.
I felt that it was still a magical place to stay, but in some areas there were disappointments.
This time we had used an agent to book a weekend package (Sat/Sun/Mon) for two rooms. The day before departure as I prepared my documents, I noticed that an error had been made on our agents hotel voucher and the date of check in on the voucher was Friday - not Saturday. The agent tried to rectify the error and contacted the hotel but he told us that the hotel had refused to alter the check-in date and that the booking would have to remain - whether or not we arrived to check-in on the Friday.
As it was low season, I was disappointed to hear the hotel was unwilling to help in any way and it was impossible for us to make the journey to arrive on the Friday stated on the voucher. Neither the agent, the hotel or us, knew how the error had happened but we, as the 'victims' are the ones who suffered. The only remedy to recover what would have been a wasteful trip was to pay more and book another two rooms for the second night, so we ended up paying for 3 nights but stayed only two, meaning the two rooms remained empty on the first (Friday) night.

Even more disappointing is to read what other guests have paid for their rooms - yet we were charged 3600 baht (1800 per room) and then to read here that other guests also got a meal included. I feel the hotel could have been a little more sympathetic and accommodating.

I was exited to return to Ramayana after 9 years - yet that excitement quickly disappeared when I saw how they treat their guests - especially returning guests. No compromise, no suggestions - just pay up for another night or have a very short trip to Koh Chang.

The actual hotel and grounds are nice - just as i remember them, however the staff could have been a little more friendly. In other hotels you normally get a smile or a 'sawasdee kha' when you pass hotel staff - here, most of the time guests were ignored when passing by a staff member. And it DOES get noticed!

The toilet in our room leaked onto the floor when it was flushed and when the attached room used their toilet, it sent huge belching bubbles up into our toilet from next door. We did report this, however after returning back to the room in the evening - it was still the same.
The other disappointment was the restaurants. There are two (as we could see). One opposite the entrance lobby and near the mini-mart (where breakfast is served) and the other directly next to the reception area.
We entered the one opposite the lobby, by the mini-mart as they had outdoor seating and looked lovely - however there was no staff anywhere to be seen, so we walked over to the larger restaurant next to reception - who also had live music too. We decided that the menu was better in the first one so went back - hoping to find some staff members but in the end could find nobody so gave up and had no choice but to use the second one. We were offered a menu from the first restaurant anyway - so I would wonder why they have two restaurants open with exactly the same menu?
Our party ordered fish and chips plus a club sandwich.
The club sandwich was made with very stale bread which was hard and crumbly and the chips (french fries) had certainly been re-fried to warm them up. They were awful.
The standard was also carried over to the breakfast buffet which was 'average' at best, but pretty much the standard for hotel breakfast buffets.

The prices in the restaurant were reasonable, as were the items in the minibar. And as others have mentioned too - the pool bar drinks promotion was the exception and is way overpriced. 300B for two unexciting cocktails is very expensive. Am I to believe that the normal price for one cocktail is 300 Baht? Am I in Koh Chang or Bangkok ?

This is my second visit to Ramayana. Would I stay a third time? If I could find an amazing deal, I would possibly consider it - but I suspect there are more welcoming places all over Koh Chang, so maybe it's time to check them out instead.

I always like to complete the customer comment cards and give honest helpful feedback - then wait to see if the hotel responds in any way. I have learned that in many hotels - negative comments on the cards never make it past the rubbish bin at the front desk.

It can take years to build a good reputation, but a lot less time to lose it. Ramayana is still a good hotel, but......

Room Tip: There is little difference in the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Vikaran S, General Manager at Ramayana Koh Chang Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Siampaul,

Thank you for your detailed review and for sharing it with us on tripadvisor.

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay at the resort.

Regarding your reservation which was actually booked from Friday on wards for 3 nights, which you would have liked to change from Saturday for 3 nights.

The resort did hold the reservation from Friday and kept 2 rooms for your visit. As you came on Saturday it was not possible to amend the reservation as the resort was on maximum occupancy on Friday.

What you have read about other guests getting a meal included is a special promotion, promoted at Bangkok at the convention center where hotels promote there resorts. These exhibitions are held regularly at Bangkok.

I do agree with you that it is very important that staff greet resort guests whenever they are in contact and I apologize for that not happening. We will definitely look into this with the training manager.

Please also accept my apologies for the club sandwich not being up to standard. Regarding the cocktail price, the price is Baht 180 per cocktail and for 2 cocktails the price is Baht 300 at a promotional price.

I would like to assure you that we do not just ask guests to fill out out a guest comment card just for the sake of it and discard it in the rubbish bin. We always like to learn from guest feedback, to avoid any guest inconvenience and where we can do better. We did receive your guest questionnaire.

Khun siampaul I would really hope that you do return to Ramayana Koh Chang Resort & Spa when you visit Koh Chang again, so that you may see that we take guest feedback very seriously and you will see improvement.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back in the near future and would like to invite you and your family for dinner so that you may see improvement in the quality.

Best Regards,

Vikaran Shivdasani

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

overall we were pretty happy with the resort however like a previous poster said the happy hour is a real let down and an obvious lie that should be fixed. If the sign says buy 1 get 1 free then that is what it should be, not nearly double the price then give a free one. Also like previous poster said the restaurant at the front of the property 'Karate' was probably the best part about this hotel. We booked using a thai credit card with the promo on their website which entitled us to a set seafood dinner and it was very good. The food, staff (especially Khun Am) and service there was much better than the rest of the hotel, aswell as it being a lot cheaper.

the rooms are nice, quite a lot of wood feature and the gardens are very nicely kept and maintained however we did find we were getting bit during the night, not sure if was mosquitos or bed bugs or ants but it wasn't much fun especially with a baby. The t.v doesn't have many channels worth watching and the air con was very cold during the night as it didnt seem to be able to change.

the pool is great and perfect for toddlers as it slopes into the pool with a rough surface so perfect for kids/toddlers to be able to walk in by themselves.

the breakfast was a bit average and could do with some improvements, especially the cheese, almost seemed/tasted fake. A room service coffee took 45 minutes to arrive.

bit of a mixed review, some things were good and others not so. Probably wouldn't stay again but we were happy with our stay. We would definitely revisit the Karate restaurant and the 3 staff members there were exceptional.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Vikaran S, General Manager at Ramayana Koh Chang Resort, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Austraveller123,

We really appreciate your detailed review, thank you so much for sharing it with us.

We have made amendments to the beverage promotions at the swimming pool, which now shows a discounted price when ordering 2 drinks. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during the night. Koh Chang being an island with dense tropical rain forests, we do have problems about mosquitoes.

The hotel will be carrying out a renovation very shortly, where we will be installing mosquitoes repellants in all guest rooms, upgrading guest room TV's and channels, besides other improvements.

My apologies once again for the delay in room service coffee.

We are very happy to learn that you were very happy with the design of the walk in pool, which is perfect for toddlers.

Your compliments have been passed on to Khun Am and the team at Karatee Restaurant. We are delighted that you found the sea food very good and service exceptional.

I sincerely hope you will reconsider your decesion to stay at Ramayana Koh Chang Resort and Spa again so that we can ensure you will enjoy your stay in the resort in all aspects, the same way you enjoyed the food and service at Karatee Seafood Restaurant.

Warm Regards,

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Checking into the hotel was quick with very helpful staff.
Taken to our room from reception on a golf cart and the room felt like it was a long way away from anything.
Room was clean and big four post bed with mosquito net.
The walk from the room to the pool and reception area took only a 2-3 minutes through lush tropical gardens.
Overall the whole resort is nice but ageing and could do with refurbishment in the next 12month ( TV, linen, bathroom & mini bar)
We paid 1600baht ($54 Aus) a night and this included buffet breakfast each morning and 1 nights free set seafood dinner which was fantastic and the service from the staff fast & very friendly.
Buffet breakfast needs a menu change as it was very average and left me felling hungry.

Happy Hour by the pool is not happy hour! (Buy 1 get 1 free) For example small beer Chang is normally 70baht but with the happy hour you pay 120baht to get one free! That's not buy 1 get 1 free! That's more like a 15% discount and the same go's with the happy hour for cocktails.

If you want a drink go the bar area near reception as the drinks are much nicer and better value and bigger than the small glasses they use by the pool.

Stayed at this resort for 3 nights and would consider returning if they did a refurb.
Overall very happy with the staff and service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Vikaran S, General Manager at Ramayana Koh Chang Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Clarkee724,

Thank you for sparing your valuable time to post a detailed review of your stay through TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you enjoyed the seafood dinner at Karatee Restaurant and was happy with the quick effecient service of the staff. Your generous compliments have been shared with the entire team.

Thank you for your comment about the buffet breakfast which needs to be improved. We have taken note and changes will be made to the buffet breakfast.

The hotel will shortly be carrying out a complete renovation of its guest rooms and public areas, to further improve the standard.

My team and I thank you once again for your lovely review about Ramayana Koh Chang Resort & Spa and your comments about the friendly staff and efficient service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank You.

Warm Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Me and the Thai wife headed to Ramayana after booking a good deal online. 3 nights Hanuman Deluxe suite including breakfast buffet everyday came to about $140. USD
Free wifi in the lobby area and dining areas. The only over-charged items here are the in-room wifi and massage services, but that is to be expected with a resort hotel.
Best part of our stay was renting a motorcycle directly from the hotel for only $7.00 a day, (with piece of mind I'm not gonna get scammed like u would have out in town).
Overall excellent value and excellent service. Highly recommend and would stay here again !

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Vikaran S, General Manager at Ramayana Koh Chang Resort, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Daniel P,

Thank you for sparing your valuable time to share feedback of your stay through TripAdvisor.

We are very happy to receive your feedback and learn that your stay with us was most enjoyable. We are in the process of installing free broadband wi fi in the resort and introducing new concepts in the resort spa.

Your appreciation of the excellent value and excellent service provided by our team is very encouraging.

Thank you for recommending Ramayana Koh Chang Resort & Spa.

The team and I, eagerly await your return in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards,

Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We loved our stay here. The price was great. The room was nice. The hotel hooked us up with a hassle free scooter rental. The location is pretty convenient, especially if you have a scooter. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vikaran S, General Manager at Ramayana Koh Chang Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Aerobat21,

We greatly appreciate your comments. Your positive feedback is a source of of motivation for us as we try to achieve even higher standards of service and care.

At Ramayana Koh Chang & Resort it is our endeavour to make our guest most comfortable and we will ensure that we leave nothing to chance when it comes to making the stay comfortable for our guest.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcome you back

Warm Regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

As I was Driving with my friends on Monday Night through Koh Chang I noticed the Ramayana Resort wich was so beautifull with all the Lights wich you can see from far away that my friends and I decided to Stop there and have Dinner. The Hotel Manager by the name of Vic welcomed us and showed us to a Table. There was a Great Band Playing there with a fantastic American Singer. The Staff was very Attentive and friendly. The food we had from the Buffet was somehow dissapointing. Maybe the Resort should Invest in a Good Chef, wich would definitly upgrade the property. Mr. Vic and his Staff took great care to make this evening a very enjoiable one. Overall Picture, Great Resort with ambiance, excellent Management and Staff. We could recommend it to everyone. Roland ST

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Vikaran S, General Manager at Ramayana Koh Chang Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting such a wonderful review about your excellent evening at the Ramayana Koh Chang Resort & Spa

It was our pleasure to have you and your friends over for dinner on Monday Night when we have The Famous Oodys Band playing weekly for all hotel guests.

We have made note of your comments about the buffet and are looking into this to improve the
standard of the buffet.

Thank you once again, for your detailed feedback regarding our hotel event and service.

The team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back in the not to distant future.

Warmest Regards,

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

My girlfriend and I just stayed at the Ramayana hotel for three days and nights. The best part of the stay there was the helpful staff including the hotel manager whose name was Viktor. He arranged all off our transportation and island tour needs. The hotel has 125 cc motorbikes for rent for 300 baht a day. I found this to be the best mode of transportation for me and my gf. Breakfast buffet was very good with unlimited food and coffee. Room service food was good also and was inexpensive. Rooms were nice with scenic views of mountains. Flat screen tv's but not alot of intrnational channels. I remember they had the BBC,Al jazera,,RT, and NHK.They had a small gym on the premises but don't expect much. Mostly small amount of free weights. No major complaints.I'd stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vikaran S, General Manager at Ramayana Koh Chang Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Mr. Bixler,

We really appreciate your review, thank you so much for sharing it with us. We pride ourselves on our service and its wonderful to read that you received and enjoyed the service. More international TV channels are being introduced in the hotel TV network which you will be able to view on your next visit..

On behalf of all the staff we look forward to welcoming you back to Ramayana Koh Chang Resort & Spa in the near future.

With Warmest Regards,

Vikaran Shivdasani

Been to Ramayana Koh Chang Resort? Share your experiences!