“Awful - Avoid” 1 of 5 stars

38 / 24 moo 4, Khlong Phrao, Ko Chang 23170, Thailand   |
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Awful - Avoid”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We arrived late on the Island of Koh Chang and needing to find somewhere to sleep ended up here for one night in December 2011.

As for room rates, we were charged 600THB (no idea how the previous punter was charged only 100THB).

The location of the hut itself is special in that your on the beach, only a few feet away from the sea.

Whilst location is the only plus point it's also a negative. You are some distance from any other bars or restaurants and basically stuck where you are.

The hut itself is less than basic and in urgent need of a face lift. You get a dirty, unclean and uncomfortable mattress with no bed sheets. If you get cold you do have two small itchy scratchy woollen type blankets provided.

No towels are provided. If you want one you have to rent it for 200 THB!

We found the staff rude and unpleasant.

For the price we paid, there are far better alternatives on the Island of Koh Chang. I cannot recommend this place at all.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

As long as you know what you're getting yourself into Tiger Hut is great. I stayed here with some friends in september and had a great time. As stated in other reviews, the bungalows are extremely simple and there are a lot of bugs. However, I felt rather safe under the net provided, and with a gecko or two as extra guests. I had a sleeping bag but the linen did not feel perfectly clean. However, when falling asleep to nothing but the sound of the waves and paying ~100THB/night/person bugs are a minor problem in my opinion.

Also, as stated by other reviewers, the service is really great. The staff is very kind and helpful, and I did indeed enjoy the food served.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Granted I came here during a bad time. August is not the best month for beach-going in Thailand. But there are some factors of the hotel that go beyond bad timing.

I admit the huts are a nice concept - it is bare-bones and has a return-to-nature feeling. The setting on the beach is wonderful - you are steps away from the roaring ocean (and roar it did when it rained).

But there are many problems. Foremost would be the bugs. I know this is unavoidable since this is a tropical island, and they do provide a mosquito net, but when there are termites living by the colonies inside holes in the wood that the hut is made of, the net suddenly feels insufficient. Bedsheets also did not look or smell clean - but it may have been the moisture - hard to tell since they were colored and the lighting is not so good. The first room I was shown had windows jammed - by the time I made a fuss and moved into the second, I found that the mosquito net had no strings with which to drape properly around the bed. I gave up on this point and stayed in the room. The floor felt dirty - could be dirt and slime but might also be sand. My room came with a showerhead and sink and toilet (you pay more for these) but of course there is only cold water. At night a lone fan with what seemed like an absurdly low fan speed proved difficult to keep me cool. I ended up sweating slightly into the already sticky pillow sheets. Despite that I did have a solid night's sleep because I was tired but also because it was strangely calming listening to the sound of waves.

I would not recommend Tiger Hut's restaurant. I ordered a simple Pad Thai and they couldn't do it right. Noodles and shrimp are not fresh and there was way too much salt. Instead go to the main road, take a right turn (walk east towards Kai Bae) and 500 meters down you will find Ka-Ti Culinary, a fantastic gem of a restaurant on this island. For breakfast I would recommend the Panviman about 2 minutes walk west along the beachfront - their buffet selection is not great and tastes only average but at 250 baht during low season with music and views over the beach its proximity and value are hard to beat.

The best part of Tiger Hut was I think the personable service of the family running it. They were not coy about admitting their huts were old and down-trodden (3 years old). The manager said they are getting a complete renovation within the year so might be better after that. Also, either I had terrific luck or they really went out of the way to cater to me but whenever I wanted to go somewhere, someone from the family owning the place happened to be headed there or about to so I always managed to hitch a motorbike ride up to the main road (around 4 minutes, and 15 on foot). In the rain that is very useful.

The price I paid for the room, 250 Baht, the value of a breakfast next door, somewhat redeem's Tiger Hut's negatives. If its a backpacking, return-to-nature experience you seek and you are friendly with bugs, do seek this place out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Had an awesome time here and stayed 6 nights - wish we did more looking back. Rooms are priced fairly, they're basic huts with en suite, although you can get shared facility ones too. Got discount for longer stay. Literally seconds from the beach in a coconut plantation - a quieter strip of beach too with only a couple of other resorts nearby. Nice friendly staff and a great restaurant which was pretty cheap. Walk to the small strip of town is about a 10/15 minute walk so not bad to stock up on snacks/use internet if needed. Definition of living the beach dream!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights and had the best stay ever, when we arrived we were unsure if we'd stay longer than one night but we got straight in to the sea (10secs from hut) and realised it was amazing despite the basic hut. Our resort was one of 3 on this stretch of beach so was always quiet. The restaurant attached served great food at good prices, and the staff were always friendly. Tiger Hut is set in a pretty coconut plantation, and you can walk to Klong Phrao which took us 10-15 minutes to stock up on essentials and use internet. This is a perfect location if you want to get away from the business of the island. Fantastic place to stay for a really unique experience. Well recommended.

Room Tip: Sea front!