“"I didn't fall in love at all"” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 171 Restaurants in Ko Chang
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Ziva Italian Restaurant is a beautiful little restaurant housed in a thai-style house in the center of Kai Bae village. Guests can choose to dine inside in a stylishly decorated restaurant or outside in the charming planted garden. Ziva specializes in authentic Italian cuisine made with passion by the Italian owner, Fernanda. Delicious pasta dishes and pizzas; excellent fish, seafood and meat preparations, a good selection of wines and sublime deserts for a truly tasty Italian experience in Thailand. Ideal for families with children, couples looking for a romantic night or any traveler tired of I-thai-lian food and in need of the real thing. Pizza orders from 2 pm; restaurant open from 5:00 pm until 11pm.
Helsinki, Finland
“"I didn't fall in love at all"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was excited eating in italian restaurant since i like italian food a lot but wasn't satisfied with the result. They charge for olive oil, which i find ridiculous. Owner was rude to us when we asked about something. I also want my food to be clean and was very disappointed when the bathroom had only one old piece of soap. I wouldn't want my cook to clean his hands with that. Good thing my pizza goes to an blazing hot oven. Only plus goes to that the restaurant looks nice and cozy.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ko Chang, Thailand
“The only "italian" resturant i have ever eaten at that charges for olive oil”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

After all these great reviews on trip advisor we were expecting more. We ordered bread and asked for olive oil, since it was not already on the table, as it would be at any quality establishment that calls itself Italian. We were told that we would have to pay extra for olive oil - which we thought was odd. We bit the bullet even though we thought this to be ridiculous and ordered olive oil to go with our breada, which we were of course also paying for. We were extra disappointed when we received four small pieces of bread and a small thimble of oil.

I noticed that the people eating pizza had large containers of oil so I asked the owner if there had been some mistake that we were being charged for the oil. She told us it was no mistake and that olive oil is very expensive, which is a joke because we could have bought a bottle of oil at the store for the same price. We love Italian food and would have probably eaten here eight times over the month that we will be on the island, but the owner trying to save a penny on olive oil left a terrible taste in our mouths.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
fernanda p, Gérant at Ziva, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Sir,

First and foremost, thank you for your review.

I only use high quality Italian-imported products in my restaurant. Extra virgin olive oil is one of them. It is not charged extra when it comes with pizza, pasta, or salad as it is part of the recipe. However, it is charged extra if it comes with a basket of bread and we always inform our customers at the time of order. How could extra virgin olive oil not be an extra when a basket of bread with extra butter costs already more than a simple basket of bread and olive oil is indeed much more expensive than butter?

Fernanda
“I think my favorite place for dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Very cozy and nice restaurant! Wanna come there again and again! Food is very good and cooked by Italian ppl. Prices also is ok! Nice!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cologne, Germany
“I love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Spending my holidays on the beautiful island Koh Chang I discovered a lovely place at Kai Bae , the italian restaurant ZIVA where Fernanda does an excellent cooking of italian specialities,really good and fresh, tasty cooking, Pizza and Pasta are a pleasure to eat and when it comes to dessert...there you will find the BEST, chocolate mousse or tiramisu, panna cotta or
crepes, everything is home made by Fernanda and absolutely fantastic!
Also the service is excellent and I went almost every evening because I was addicted and Fernanda is a so gentle person that I will return, I promise!
Bettina from Germany

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wroclaw, Poland
“Quite nice, but the food average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Even if you are a great enthusiast of Thai food like I am, there always comes a time for a European dish. We have chosen the Ziva from all the great reviews here and on the Lonely Planet.
The place was really nice and cute, but the food... The food not so much. The lasagna was tiny and without a flavor. The pizza was better but not so Italian as I have hoped for a place that is own by one.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere