“Beautiful pool and very friendly helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Chai Chet Resort
6/2 Moo 4, Cape Chai Chet | Klong Pram Beach, Ko Chang 23170, Thailand   |
Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Ko Chang
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful pool and very friendly helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We booked 2 rooms for 4 nights in a Hillside Villa last week followed by 1 night seaview villa (as a late booking). My boyfriend and I were catching up with my parents from England.
The resort is set off from the main road so very quiet and the hillside villas are set away from any noise and almost tropical. The rooms are a really good size as are the bathrooms. There are lovely views of the beach from some of the hillside villas and are all really peaceful. The rooms are a bit tired and it would be great to have somewhere to sit inside apart from the bed. In one of our rooms there was an issue with the toilet plumbing. The staff attempted to fix this the morning after the problem was reported, but we still had issues with the smell of sewage. The seaview villa on the last night was similar to the hillside but with great views of the sea and a rocky foreshore. It was a five minute walk to the sandy beach at Chai Chet and 5 minutes walk to local shops, street food and restaurants/cafes where we took advice from the locals.
The pool area was really lovely. The pool was a great size, relaxing, with amazing views to the beach. We spent most afternoons after a day on the beach with a beer/cocktail at the pool. A plate of fresh fruit in the afternoon for 80 bahts was also amazing.
The dining room has a great view out over the sandy bay. The Thai food at dinner was pretty good with a great selection. The drinks and dinner were really well priced. The breakfasts (which were included in the cost of the room) were great. A selection of Thai and western style food on offer. Fresh omelettes made to order which were amazing! For us the absolute best bit of the Chai Chet resort was the staff. They were so friendly and helpful. They took the time to speak with us and build a rapport with us throughout our stay. They were great with the kids that were staying at the resort and were always on hand to answer questions about Thailand/Cambodia and generally make us smile. Chai Chet is obviously also a hit with the locals. Every other night there was a group of Thais in the air conditioned function room for evenings of karaoke and a couple of nights there were groups in the main restaurant. There was a great mix of foreign tourists and local tourists at the Chai Chet which enhanced our stay.
We would recommend the resort to friends and families wanting a quiet resort with amazing staff off the tourist trail.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

I decided to write my first review since I usually rely heavily on TripAdvisor reviews but had a hard time deciding whether or not to stay at Chai Chet since reviews were so mixed. Hopefully this review will help others who may be on the fence like I was.

We took a gamble and stayed in two standard hillside rooms, one room for my husband, baby and I and a second room for Grandma and our toddler. We needed the rooms to be close and felt the villas might not allow for that even though they looked nicer. The resort as a whole seems really nice in some aspects (mainly the pool) and lacking in others (the rooms). We didn't have toilet paper in our room when we checked in, one of the nightstands had a gaping cracked hole in the top, and the king size bed is on wheels with two twin size comforters laid across it. The bed on wheels bit may not have been such a nuisance if I didn't have to breastfeed the baby. Anytime I leaned against the headboard, the bed scooted away from the wall making each feeding feel like an ab workout. There wasn't really any other suitable place to sit in the room as the bench had two pieces of furniture hanging over it on either side which was fine if all you used the bench for was putting stuff vs sitting. And the beds are rock hard but if you're used to Thai beds, that's nothing new as many hotels in Thailand have rock hard beds.

The real kicker, and why I definitely won't stay here again, was an issue with housekeeping and the crap wifi. Our 3 month old baby had a blow out poop while I was feeding her siting on the bed. Baby poop got on the sheet so I took it off the bed and down to the housekeeping section under the reception area. There are no phones in the room so I couldn't call to ask for service. The woman who greeted me was visibly pissed and motioned me to go up to reception. I went and was informed I would need to pay a 600 baht fine for the soiled sheet. I told her it was baby poop and would easily wash out. She said if I washed it out myself there would be no charge. So I took the soiled sheet back to my room, sprayed it out in the shower. Later that evening a housekeeper came to pick up the sheet and inspected it thoroughly to ensure there were no marks on the sheet. I felt like I was back at boot camp or something. I thought they paid people to wash their sheets but apparently that costs you extra. The wifi also didn't work in either of our rooms. The signal was there but wasn't strong enough to be able to do anything online like check email or leave a review on TripAdvisor.

The restaurant was fine. The wait staff were attentive and so great with the kids- this was one of the very few high points. The food was decent. Not amazing but not bad.

The pool was nice but the staff didn't enforce the no smoking signs on the pool deck so there were times it was quite unpleasant to be lounging if there happened to be someone smoking nearby (this happened twice).

The scenery around the peninsula was nice. There is a trail marked with a jungle trekking sign that takes about 20 min to do as a loop and has really pretty views. But you don't have to be a guest to enjoy that.

The beach is a quick 1-2 min walk away and was fine. It would have been great if there wasn't loud construction going on non-stop.

All in all, despite some of the good points, there were too many negative points to make it worth coming back. We loved the island though and since we live in Bangkok, we will definitely be back for another visit at a different hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

In January 2014 my wife and I stayed here for seven nights. We booked a standard hillside villa, after reading the reviews, and it was the right thing for us to do. The villa was large, very clean, with easy walking access to the pool and restaurant. The deluxe hillside villas are further up the hill.

The large freestyle horizon pool, was a pleasure to swim in, although a little too cold for us to swim for any length of time. We were not sure if this was caused by large amounts of fresh water being pumped in, or it was just cold in Koh Chang. You get a fantastic view from the pool of Klong Prao Beach, since the pool is in an elevated position and Chai Chet Resort is on the peninsular.

The restaurant was an absolute delight. We normally eat at the resort the first night, then try all the local restaurants. Well this time, the resort restaurant is the best around Klong Prao Beach. The food is very economical, well presented and tastes great. We tried everything Thai and most seafood items on the menu, our picks:- Sun dry Squid, Masaman Curry and the Pad Thai. The BBQ seafood is also not to be missed. At night you can eat out on the veranda under the stars overlooking the beach. The service can be a little frustrating at times as many of the waiters are from Cambodia and may only speak a little to no English. So... trying to have the seafood BBQ served at the same time as food from the kitchen is difficult. We did manage to have a meal on the beach, BBQ prawns and squid, which was very good but more expensive than the resort, hence our dilemna.

The resort is 200 meters from a 7/11, plus there are other small shops in the small village.

Room Tip: Hillside Villas good value and quiet
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

The resort is adding more rooms on the beach so you constantly hear the drilling while sitting on the beach. Looks like it is going to take at least 8 months to finish.
There are also more constructions in the center of the resort next to the restaurant.
The breakfast is terrible - poor selection and quality.
The restaurant is awful. We ordered a salad without any meat. We received it with bacon. When we complained the waiter actually started to take the bacon out with his bare fingers!
Also the portions are tiny and the food is not very tasty.
The location of the resort is the worst on this beach strip. It's not exactly a private beach. There is no shade and not enough lounge chairs. The hotel does not provide any services on the beach.
The safe in our room (10A) didn't work, kept locking our stuff in it so they had to give us a key which we had to walk around with.
The wifi stopped working occasionally and when it did work it was extremely slow.
There is no room service or phone in the room. If you want something in the room, the pool or at the beach you have to go all the way to the front desk.
Nothing can be charged to the room so be prepared to pay cash at all time.
There were ants in the bathroom.
Massage - the girls that do the massage are too young and inexperienced. Better go to the spa on the main road.
When we complained to the manager about the waiters putting their fingers in our food she totally ignored us saying she was too busy while playing with her IPhone.
There are so many nicer resorts in Koh Chang such as the Coconut Beach Resort or further south The K.B Resort. This one is not recommended.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

In December 2013, I stayed at the resort for a few days .I spent a very happy Christmas here. The landscape of the resort is very beautifuI . I liked to take a walk here every day. Here, you can see the tourists from all over the world, you can enjoy the beautiful beach and very good hotel services,especially the rich and delicious breakfast buffet ! Every day in the evening, I sat on the beach to feel the sea breeze and listen to the voice of the sea. I watched the sun sinking gradually , then disappeared in the horizon .I really liked the resort , but I had to leave here . If I have a chance, I’ll go to CHAI CHET RESORT again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

First night I woke up with ants on my face! But it was cleared the next day...about the hotel, good services, nice pool and an average breakfast. The location is fabulous, with great views of the beach and easy access.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Durban
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Was so happy coming here after spending 4 days at Penny's resort which had been a big disappointment. The setting is beautiful on a peninsular, great access to beaches, rocks , has it's own pier, just jump in and snorkel. Wish we had come here first. Really enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms facing the beach are a treat
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chai Chet Resort? Share your experiences!