“What a gem of a place” 5 of 5 stars

London, United Kingdom
“What a gem of a place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Oh my, this is a find!

There's not much to say wrong about this place although I'll add some constructive points in a moment. So much is fabulous. The location is idyllic, out of Lonely Beach resort. We took a jungle treehouse which still had gorgeous sea views. The restaurant was great value and the staff were generally just wonderful.

I came here to finish writing my book and would have happily stayed longer but it felt a bit selfish of me for my gf. It's quite isolated and quiet. It's very much couples too (straight and gay). The sea is wondrous although you do have to step on some stones to get out to the swim but everyone we saw did this and so I can't understand the reviewer who said you can't swim here: wtf!! Right next to the huts, like 20 metres, is a long sandy beach. There's no problem using that beach at all - we did it all the time. And we even spoke nicely to some staff further down and wangled free kayaking. We took one out to an island for best part of a day. Don't expect this to continue after this review ;)

OK so what could be improved? Well I guess wi-fi though it's sort of cute they don't have it. It's coming any day now (was due when we were there). The menu is very very long and mainly Thai. They could possibly trim it and bung a few more western dishes in just to break it up, but see below for where to go. The restaurant is really good and superb value. The sweet and sour fried rice at 60baht is a steal. OK if I was being really picky proper coffee would be a nice touch. That's about it really. Nothing else except enjoy it. It's such a gorgeous place, a real find, and the charm is the fact it's so unspoilt with such genuinely lovely people running it.

If you want a break from the cheap superb food Magic Garden in Lonely Beach does good food, although their wifi is worse than neighbouring cafes (it's intermittent). Check out their Hawaian burger (120baht with fries), coconut shake (gorgeous) and superb banana and chicken curry (80baht though bizarrely rice is an extra 30baht). Best food in Lonely Beach and a lovely relaxing vibe.

Finally watch out for the tour operator at "7 Days" just down from Magic Garden. The man's a nasty piece of work. Took money from us for return to Bangkok then reneged on it, and when we asked what was going on he proceeded to follow us on his moped shouting 'f you'. The most unpleasant man and experience in Thailand. Avoid.

Let's not end on a bad note though. Bai Lan Bay Resort is the most wonderful place - delightful setting and people. It's a gem of a place. Sigh. In some ways I wish I was still there ... maybe I will go back to put the finishing touches to my book :)

Room Tip: Air Con might be worth considering. The fan works but this is tropical heat. Don't just rush fo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

After moving from White sands beach and a hotel with more mod cons but lacking in smiles, we were perfectly happy to do without the fridge or tv in exchange for the lovely ladies here, who cooked the most delicious food at street prices. The place has character and my boys loved watching monkeys play on the telephone wires opposite and finding a very large hermit crab crawling along the balcony one night. It really felt as if we were holidaying in the jungle although civilization is just 10 minutes down the road in the hippy resort of Lonely Beach and if you want to watch a film, why not go to The Kitchen, 3 films a night while you enjoy their cuisine.
They were quite happy for us to sleep 3 to a room and even discounted the price due to their internet not working. 6 or 7 different choices for breakfast -rice soup will fill you for the day!
I'd definitely return here if I were to visit Koh Chang again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

A good Plac to chill - I agree, but nothing really special to say about this Place. I stood only 3 Days in a Hut, clean but very basic. Maybe it was also the wrong Time, as the small Beach was not very inviting to take a swimm. The Stuff is friendly and helpfull, nothing to complain about - but in my humble Opinion, the other Poster exagrate a bit about this Place in their Reviews about this Resort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I found this place on Tripadvisor and I just can't say enough good words about it. The staff was super-friendly, the food was amazing, and the whole experience was like being in a private paradise. The cabins are clean and comfortable, very good value, and perfectly situated along the small beach. If you really want to get away from it all, I can't imagine a more perfect place. And if you want to check your email, do a bit of shopping, or go to a bar, you can walk 10 minutes to Lonely Beach and get a dose of civilization. I will definitely be coming back here to this tropical gem!

Room Tip: There are 20 cabins and the ones from 16 up are more private.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We loved the place for so many reasons.... The staff were welcoming and hospitable. We stayed in two rooms, one in the jungle and one on the beach and we would recommend both: spacious with screened windows and private balconies. All the bungalows are well spaced giving you a perfect view of the ocean and privacy from the other guests. The restaurant is relaxing with a fantastic view of the sea. The location is great as it is an easy 10 min walk to the shops and restaurants at lonley beach or 5 mins to bailin bay village.

Room Tip: Room 19 if you want to be near the sea and room 9 if you prefer to be in the jungle with good sea vi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

I stayed here after a bike accident. The girls were so nice to me, and the price for a 12 day stay was good deal (they gave me a big discount). This place was like a rescue for me after the accident, and after 8 months of traveling in the far east.

I read some books at the restaurant balcony, had some chat with the mother who own the place and fed the monkeys who were across the road.

My tip is to ask for a room with a terrace not right next to the beach but a bit at the hill. It's like a real jungle. There are lot's of stairs, and you have to walk to the near by village, yet it's magical. I give it 5 points.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Quiet place just after the lonely beach backpacker resorts
Basic bungalo with nice view over the see
Very friendly staff
Do not expect cleaning of your bungalo every day or clean towls but the place is georgious
Restaurant serves good food with see view.
During our visit renovation of bungalows was going on.
No real swimming posibilties (rocky coast) but rent scooter and go to lonely beach or white sands for some real tropical beach.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bai Lan Bay Resort? Share your experiences!