“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Parmarth Niketan Ashram

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rishikesh
Parmarth Niketan Ashram
You added Parmarth Niketan Ashram to your Saves list
P.O. Swargashram, Rishikesh 249304, India   |
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Rishikesh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed there for the whole month of February and a week in March after yoga festival. I love India, so I loved the stay. When it was raining my room was leaking by the window, that's the only disadvantage I had. Otherwise people are great, ashram is beautiful. Aarti ceremony every night, mediation and yoga ...what else can you wish for. Come and check it out for yourself. It's one of the nicer ashrams out there, the price is a bit higher than in other ashrams. Worth experiencing

Room Tip: Yamuna hall is more quiet than Ganga, in my opinion ..
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Patiala, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Spacious, well maintained, calm and serene.

Rooms are basic and so was cleanliness, but then hey! Its just an Ashram. What more can you expect?!? There's no room service or house-keeping, so you yourself are responsible for cleaning your bedroom and bathroom. We took two interconnected rooms and were happy to see spacious lounge area. I was thankful for bringing my own bedding as their bed linens / blankets weren't too clean. We had some problem with water geyser the first day, but it was resolved in less than an hour after complaining at reception. Ashram has inverter / backup to cope up with power cuts. We were there to attend a spiritual camp in a nearby Ashram and had all our meals there itself, so can't comment on food quality of Parmarth Niketan. There's hardly any noise in the night, so one can sleep peacefully.

Ashram atmosphere is absolutely amazing. It automatically uplifts your spirit. Evening Aarti along banks of Ganga at Parmarth is something one shouldn't miss. One best thing about this ahsram is its convenient location - it is very close to market, Ram jhula, small restaurants etc.

I don't regret staying there.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing either garden or Ganga
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

You have to understand the meaning of an ashram. It is not meant to be hotel like with luxurious ambience and amenities. Traditionally in India, ashrams are meant to be basic. Sure you may have to clean the room yourself before you settle down but for $10 a night for accommodation AND breakfast, lunch and dinner thrown in I'd say you're being greedy if you expect anything more. I've just returned after a 45 day stay in this wonderful place and I'd not rather stay anywhere else upon my return to Rishikesh next year.
Everything you might need, including shopping, restaurants, provisions, fruit/vegetable vendors as well as grocery stores are a minutes walk from the ashram. Food is basic but clean, fresh and healthy. People tending to you are friendly, warm and hospitable. Ganga blocks are the most coveted but my favourites are the Yamuna rooms facing the garden with balconies.
Just stay away from the Alaknanda blocks. These should be ideally razed and redone. Couple of rooms in Yamuna may have leakages or mould so just be aware of this issue and ask for a room change if you land up with a dud room like that.
All in all, Parmarth Ashram offers you the best value for your money in Rishikesh along with free yoga lessons and wonderful arti on the banks of mother Ganga thrown in for good measure.
Enjoy

Room Tip: Stay away from Alaknanda blocks. Ask for Ganga facing rooms or garden facing rooms in the Yamuna blo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely ashram, well located and very safe. In the Ganga block you can get a room overlooking the Ganges, although rooms on the other side of the hall don't even have windows. If some kind of view is of importance be sure to book ahead and be specific. Western toilet in the room. There was a shower but water dribbled out so I opted for the bucket and cup. Water was hot - you need to turn on the water heater a few minutes before. The cleanliness was definitely not what it could have been. Some of the towels looked like they might not have been changed after the last guest and the blankets may not have been washed in quite some time. It was February and quite cold, even during the day.
The room was quite large. Water was safe to brush teeth, but I can't vouch for drinking glasses of it. Very secure, with a guard who chases the red-faced monkeys away - they can be nasty little buggers and you don't want to look them in the eye (the monkeys that is, the guard is quite friendly). I only ate in the dining hall once as there are a wide variety of more comfortable places to eat nearby. There is a laundry service. There is an ayervedic clinic on site. The foot massage I had there was the worst ever - in 60 minutes the masseur spent about 15 min on my feet and the blanket and pillow were covered in oil. I didn't bother trying any other services.
The toilet in the yoga hall was disgusting and after repeated daily requests they finally sent someone to clean it on the fifth day.
Overall, the room was adequate although . not overly clean. There are several hotels nearby for about double the price but I liked the atmosphere of the place.

• Stayed February 2013
Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was my first experience in an ashram, and overall I can say it was very pleasant. The place is really clean, the rooms are very basic, as expected in an ashram, but if you are looking for the whole spiritual experience, that depends totally on you and how much you participate (or not) in the ashram activities.

You could either meditate, chant and do yoga everyday or simply skip it and walk around in the town.

The food at lunch and dinner is good. Vegetarian, spicy, basic Indian food. If you have a sweet tooth or like your breakfast, you better walk outside the ashram and have a nice poudrige, freshly juice or continental breakfast in any of the restaurants close by. You can also walk to the the next town (it's a nice 15 minute walk) and have a wonderfull full breakfast at any of the many "German Bakeries".

The staff at the ashram are nice and will make their best to make your stay comfortable. But again, this is an ashram, NOT a hotel. Don't expect any luxory.

The ayurvedic massages and treatments are very good and in a reasonable place. Might not be the cheapest, but the staff are very gentle and it couldn't be more comfortable to walk back to your room after a very oily massage.

The chantings in the morning and afternoon are simply beautiful!

This is probably a place to travel by yourself and do a silence retreat on your own.

Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

For a true ashram experience Parmarth Niketan is the best choice. There are other ashrams and "fancy" boutique hotels in the area with running water and wifi but if you are looking for a more traditional ashram this is it. The service at the front desk is average. The food is great except for breakfast (I recommended taking a walk to The Office for a fruit bowl or porridge). The rooms are austere but clean (we had a room with two single beds). For the most part our block was quiet at night, no major monkey noise or loud people. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I spent a week here on a trip to Rishikesh and had to check out and go to a nearby hotel because I could not complete my stay. The room was FILTHY. After the first night, I went to a local store and bought cleaning supplies so that I could put my clothes into the cabinet and could use the bathroom sink and toilet. The rags I used to clean were BLACK after wiping everything down. There was so much mold in the rooms (black/green on my walls) that one of our group members had to be rushed to a Dr. because she had an allergic reaction and her eyes swelled to where she could not see. There were no sheets on the bed, so I had to cover myself with FILTHY comforters and blankets. I went into town and bought fabric to use as sheet and bought new pillow cases. The people in the office were incredibly rude and impatient with all of our group. The hallways have an Alcatraz feel to them and my door would not lock. The shower head was so clogged that water would only dribble out - no spray at all.

I realize this is an ashram and not intended to be the Four Seasons, but it was truly an awful place. My hotel that I stayed in was INFINITELY nicer and only $10US per night more. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Parmarth Niketan Ashram? Share your experiences!