“Good hotel, but relatively isolated.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rishikesh Sadan

You added Rishikesh Sadan to your Saves list
Rishikesh Sadan
2.5 of 5 Spa   |   Badrinath Road | Near Old R. T. O. Check Post, Behind Laxman Jhula Enclave Appartments, Aamkhala, Tapovan, Badrinath Road, Rishikesh 249192, India   |
Ranked #40 of 42 Hotels in Rishikesh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Salvador, Brazil
“Good hotel, but relatively isolated.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

It was our first time in Rishikesh, and apparently had not understood the maps of the region, because we believed to be possible to stay at this hotel and participate daily in various activities in the region of Swarg Ashram, but this is only possible if you do not mind paying for expensive taxis and tuk tuks (in Rishikesh seem much more expensive than in the rest of India), or have many hours to walk; so we spent the rest of our stay elsewhere in the Swarg Ashram area. But if you seek isolation or their interests are close to this hotel it can be an option. The staff is very attentive, helpful and friendly (excellent tea is served here). Large rooms. Common interesting spaces. Near nature. It can be an interesting option for those seeking certain isolation in region.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

I stayed at Rishikesh Sadan for a few days and I enjoyed it very much. It was quiet for me to recover from my travells to the north. I have made wonderful friends with Aarti and her family and will be staying again in a few days.
Narindath Maraj.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Very disappointing, I emailed ahead of visiting to confirm my booking with them and to arrange pick up, When I arrived the driver took me to another hotel, I asked to speak with the manager of Rishikesh Sadan she said they were fully booked till the 22nd of March I arrived the 12th of March so they arranged for me to stop at sister hotel. As a result I felt confused and dissatisfied with there lack of ability to inform me when I contacted the Sadan a week before I travelled, I think they over book then move people to there other hotels. Be Very Careful when booking this hotel.

Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Few quick comments :
Rooms very dirty, 2 of the 3 we booked were having moisture and damaged walls and roof (see pictures ).
No room cleaning during your stay (we stayed 2 nights )
Bathroom : smells very bad ... actually it stinks... as shower you do not have spreader but just net water.
No bed clothes when we arrived ... We had to ask ...
Just one towel per room ... We had to ask ...
And place is very noisy : no good noise insulation and you here all sounds coming from the valley. ..
Last point : price is very high! Same quality should not cost you more than 1000 INR taxes included ... I let you compare with rates proposed on the Web.
One good point : helping boys are nice with guests.
To summarize : just a place to avoid except if you are a backpacker enjoying raw place to stay, and even so, negotiate the price much down!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Cypress, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2015

This "Hotel" is far from acceptable in my opinion. Though the layout of the room is fantastic for mediation and reflection, the severe mold and peeling paint on the walls made the place unbearable. Please see pictures. Maintenance is more than in order.

On the other hand, the chef who only provides prearranged meals is probably one of the best around. The food was outstanding.

My reservation for 5 nights was a scam. Was only allowed to stay 3 as was escorted to another hotel and told that Rishikesh Sadan was full. The other hotel, S K International is owned by the same man and is in great repair. Close to Rishikesh Sadan.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely not! There are much better properties in fantastic condition that will not provide mold as an amenity.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2014

AVERAGE GUESTHOUSE, bad location

Be warned: Rishikesh Sedan is NOT a yoga retreat, it's a guesthouse that provides expensive but average yoga.

It's located quite far out of town and requires transport or long, dusty walks to get anywhere. The rooms are average, some with peeling paint or bad rising damp.
Our shower didn't work and we had to use a bucket to wash the entire time we were there. We complained over and over again and they told us all the rooms were the same and it was a water pressure issue. This wasn't true as we used another room one night to shower and it was fine. We didn't move to this room because it had strange white mould type stuff growing on the wall from the damp.
We had to constantly ask for new toilet paper, our room didn't get cleaned for our entire stay and we actually had to take our own rubbish out as it was overflowing.

As for the yoga: There were three students doing teacher training and more advanced than us. It felt like we just had to slot in and learn fast. The yoga room is pretty hideous. It's on the roof with a makeshift tin-style enclosure and old, dirty, thin carpet.
The morning yoga involves lots of chanting and not a lot of yoga. The evening sessions with the younger master were much better as he was more attentive to peoples needs and limitations and spoke more about technique and always manipulated you while in poses.

The food was weird. I think we got put on the same diet as the people doing teacher training, but this was never explained to us. One dinner was a piece of chapati bread and a carrot juice. Another breakfast was a mix of salty bean-sprouts and a banana/milk concoction. What the?!

Check in involved being shown to the room, period. No induction about meals, types of meals available, times, where the yoga happened and at what time. Lucky we just wandered around to see and another student took the time to explain the program to us.

The staff were friendly but some were just ineffective. The cook and his assistant are sweet and tried their best given the weird menu they had to follow, which was dictated to them by management. The assistant-manager guy walking around was also sweet and did get us things, but we always had to ask.

If you're new to Rishikesh or Yoga you might think this place is good, but you only have to cross the river and look around at some of the established ashrams to know this place is dire! There are loads of traditional ashrams or even other yoga retreats close to the river and town, providing good food and simple but clean accommodation and for MUCH less.
Other guests were also unhappy and leaving early (some after just 1 or 2 days) because they were also not happy. We would have left early but we felt tied in due to booking through a travel agent.
My advise; shop around for something else.

• Stayed November 2014
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

My friend and I recently stayed at this warm friendly hotel. Aarti and the team were extremely welcoming, I instantly felt at home. Nothing was of any trouble. Taxis, food - yum! Information, other bookings, Massage and I was also welcomed into a Fire Ceremony. We only booked for one night but returned after our stay at Phool Chatti Ashram to stay a further 6 nights.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Rishikesh Sadan? Share your experiences!