“Excellent Hospitality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel The Hermitage

You added Hotel The Hermitage to your Saves list
Hotel The Hermitage
Tapovan, Laxman Jhula, | Laxman Jhula, Badrinath Marg, Rishikesh 249192, India   |
Ranked #12 of 40 Hotels in Rishikesh
New Delhi, India
“Excellent Hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I have visited Hotel Hermitage in month of April 2013 with my friends. The rooms are very luxurious, clean and well maintained. Hotel staff was good in service and manner. The prices are also good in this category.

Devendra Singh

Room Tip: Good hill views from IInd floor rooms
Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at the Hermitage hotel for one week and it was one of the most confusing and frustrating experiences of my entire India trip. The hotel itself is very nice, with the best hot water shower I had in India (not that you need it in Rishikesh) and pretty rooms. The staff, however, is their downfall. At any given time, there are three to four men lolling about in the hotel lobby, usually watching cricket. Any time I asked for something, for example a bedsheet or a towel, which don't come standard to the room, they looked at me like I was a complete bother. Any food I ordered, I had to follow up on multiple times. My room didn't get cleaned for the first three days of my stay, so when I asked for housekeeping, the man stopped by my room as I was changing. I asked him to come back in 20 minute and he agreed. When I came back to the hotel a few hours later, I saw that the room still hadn't been cleaned. When I inquired, I was curtly informed that the cleaner had left for the day (it was 2:00pm) and that perhaps my room would be cleaned the next day. In addition, they boast wifi internet, but it is only turned on if you request it. I am a writer and keep a travel blog, so wifi internet was one of the reasons I chose to stay at the Hermitage. They would turn the Wifi off in the middle of my using it, and would roll their eyes whenever I asked for it to be turned on.

The true icing on the cake, however, was being alerted by a fellow traveler staying across the road that my bathroom window allowed a full view of me nude while showering, and that this view was being enjoyed by lurking Indian men at night. When I asked the hotel staff if I could have a curtain over the window, they told me "It is not possible" and made me feel like I was crazy, that the man was probably just cleaning the terrace and not looking at me. When I insisted, the manager told me that I shouldn't worry, that he would "keep an eye out" for me. Apparently privacy while bathing is just too much to ask for.

Staying at the Hermitage was a complete contrast to every other place I have stayed in India, even those that cost 100 rupees! I was completely shocked and disappointed by the lazy and rude staff.

Room Tip: Choose room 101 if you want to give a free nude show to the local men outside your bathroom window.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Nice location and cost effective for group stay as they have spacious dormitory and roof top restaurant for hangout and buffet. Thanks for all personalized services and free internet. Better go for atleast a week so you can enjoy yoga, rafting and other alternative healing.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Along with team, I went to Rishikesh for a shooting of documentary. This hotel made us to give the best as it has got a such a tranquil aura and friendly staff are very cooperative. I would love to visit again. I must appreciate their tariff. They are the best.

Room Tip: Room facing Ganga
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Armidale, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

Hotel The Hermitage, Laxman Jhula
My wife and I needed a place to "recharge our batteries" after TWO MONTHS of travelling in India.
We were referred to The Hermitage by a rafting company. on the proviso that it was
* QUIET and
* HOT WATER
* TV for watching the cricket and movies in English
Our previous Rishikesh (Laxmn Jhula) hotel did not have reliable hot water. This may not sem much but in India it is heaven to relax in a hot shower.
The hotel is directly opposite an Ashram, (We weren't into that part of Indian tourism)
Itis a pleasant 7minute walk downhill to the suspension bridge over the Ganga and so close to local restaurants and cafes of which there are many in Laxman Jhula.
Food is available from "my little restaurant", as the Manager, Rajiv, quietly mentioned to us, but town dining gives you far more variety.
We booked rafting through local tour group (Red Chilly) and because of their services we hired a car and driver for overnight trip into the mountains

• Liked — Quiet and hot water
  • Disliked — In winter they should have heaters
  • Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel The Hermitage? Share your experiences!