“Good Steak and Salmon” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Tamarin
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Tapas, Bistro
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Wine bar, restaurant, cellar. Terrace, air con,wine list more than 100 different french wines from the best wineyards served at low prices.Cuisine bistrot, fresh fish and fresh food.Situated on the West Coast of Mauritius
Port Louis
“Good Steak and Salmon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

Had a steak and girlfriend had salmon. We both enjoyed our meals. Steak and Salmon were cooked to our liking.

Also had a Creme Brulée and Mille Feuilles for desert. Creme Brulée was ok, Mille Feuilles was good.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“The good bad and the Ugly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

What I like about the restaurant:
1) the waiter who served our table was friendly and he knows his menu very well
2) It's not a complicated menu of countless pages. Just a few dishes
3) decoration and table layout was ok

For the food itself:
The first time I went I had a risotto and the catch of the day. While the risotto was very good, the catch of the day was less impressive but OK. I tried the place again last night and it was a completely different story. My guest ordered a pasta dish which was too peppery and the entrecote I ordered wasn't fresh, tasted like frozen meat... very disappointing. However the worse was yet to come, I was left waiting 30minutes for my desert... (ice cream). I guess the restaurant was too busy as the owner couldn't even find time to pop by the table and say sorry for this long wait... I don't think I will be returning but I if you fancy a good risotto with a nice glass of wine I would still recommend this venue.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Indian ocean
“GREAT FOOD SERVICE DOES NOT MATCH”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten in this restaurant 4 times over the last 5 months. Very good food, excellent wine list. They must have a problem of staffing I recognised only one waiter. Food arrived 45 minutes after sitting down, wine was not served (60 euro a bottle) send the food back, we waited another 15 for the wine to be served. Main course, duck, cold....asked to be re done was obvisously put under a salamander, came back dry....
No apologies from what seems to be the head waitress, who is more busy greating regurlar guest only, with charms.
Not enough staff. Not sure I will come back, they need to raise the level of attention to details and find real professionals at the service.
Contrary to what was said in other reviews, you find better in hotels for the same budget (100 euro p/p including good wines). Great potential.

Visited October 2013
Oxfordshire, England
“Super lunch venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Being regular visitors to Mauritius my wife and I called in here this week without the benefit of reading the TripAdvisor reviews first and we were very pleased with the fine food, location, and service. We shared a mushroom risotto starter. My wife had the Poisson du Jour (grilled tuna and salad) and I had an entrecote steak and chips, followed by a raspberry mille feuille and fondant with ice cream. The Plat du Jour or Poisson du Jour consists of a main and dessert for around 350 rupees which is excellent value. We'll definitely be back and hope we can give it an excellent rating next time.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best bistrot in Mauritius!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Living in Bel Ombre, le Whatever is our closest restaurant in Tamarin where we go for dinner once a week. Since the opening two years ago, Alain le Chef is producing a very good Bistrot food with a local flavor and the service is very pleasant. While the outside terrace might be busy at night, you could enjoy the lovely setup inside or even try the table inside the cave. The wine list is another good reason to go there as the selection is unique in Mauritius and the prices very cheap compared to any other restaurant or hotel. Deserved the detour to the west coast!

Visited September 2013