“Don't be a minute late” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Trams, Zoos
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Drive along 3 miles of road, feeding herds of free-roaming animals from your car, such as antelope, camel, deer, elk and llama! Walk through the 10-acre Safari Village and see tigers, cheetah, kangaroos, primates, reptiles, a wide variety of birds and much more! Don’t forget to feed the giraffe and visit the petting barn! We’re located in the Shenandoah Valley, a short day trip from Roanoke, Lynchburg, Staunton, Charlottesville, Richmond, Maryland and DC.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Richmond, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
“Don't be a minute late”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have been to the Safari Park before, and let me say, the animals are AWESOME. The experience is GREAT. I went today, and because of traffic, got there at 4:02PM, and the park closes at 4:00PM. I went inside literately MINUTES (2) after, and explained the situation, and explained that I had a full SUV of kids wanting to go, and I could pay cash to get in.

The owner, Janet was the rudest, and most disgusting person to deal personality-wise. She couldn't care less that we spent $100 on gas and 3+ hours in the car to get there, and that being --2, yes, two, 120 seconds-- minutes late was out of our control, and didn't offer anything ($5 off next trip would have shown she at least cared)... so let me just say, the animals are worth it, but the people (especially the manger-- Janet) couldn't give less of a crap about your personal time or money. I literately told her I'd pay extra($50 or $100 for opening the gates 2 minutes after they close is more than kind), and we'd leave early (remind you-- 2 minutes after they closed their doors). The animals and the experience are worth the trip, but seeing the manager, who can't let a SUV full of kids, and an adult offering to pay extra ($120 total in fees), disgusts me as a consumer, and as a parent.

The Virginia Safari Park should FIRE the manager, no consumer should be treated as rudely as I was. I will probably be back ,because again, the animals and the experience are worth it, but I hope the company reads the reviews and know that Janet is HORRIBLE, she needs to be fired or at least given a class of etiquette and good business practices.

I believe all consumers should be treated with kindness and respect, and if you are seconds late-- just know 1000% the manager doesn't give a crap about you, your time, your family, or your money.

Louisville, Kentucky, United States
5 attraction reviews
“The most fun you can have!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stopped here on a road trip to DC from Kentucky. We went an extra 45 minutes out of our way because I had heard such good things from a fellow road tripper. Oh my goodness!! We had the most enjoyable time. I am not even that big of an 'animal person'. But, this was truly amazing!! First of all! As a warning, the Lamas are professionals at getting food. A group will hang out at the entrance and be ready to grub! lol. They take advantage of the naive visitors first animal encounter of the adventure. Your best bet is to ask the counter for an extra bucket. Pour a little of the feed in the bucket at a time and feed to each animal. The lamas took advantage and we had to drive and roll the window up to get away and feed was everywhere! We were in such a panic because it was pretty intense but it was a good laugh a minute later. After we got the hang of feeding the animals using a spare bucket and a small amount of feed at a time, we truly enjoyed ourselves. I even fed the birds and I am deathly afraid of birds..hahah..We enjoyed the walk thru park as well. But, do not think you will encounter the giraffes. They do not even come close to the deck made that people stand on to try to pet them. It ain't happening..just a warning in advance! My best experience was walking by the kangaroos. None would come close to us. Then as I walked down the sidewalk one was laying like a dog on its side, with a joey in her pocket!! She let me literally pet her like a dog and just relaxed and eventually got up and hopped away. It is one of my favorite memories! Stop what you are doing and plan a trip here ASAP!! Fun for all ages. My boyfriend and I are in our early 30s and went. We tell stories about it all the time to people!!

Visited May 2013
Taylors, South Carolina
15 attraction reviews
“Fun, Fun, Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Thinking we would not get to see the National Zoo because of the shutdown, we planned this visit. We were not disappointed. We have not seen this many wild animals roaming free since Bear Country, Rapid City. Zebras, Llamas, and Camels were very friendly and fun. Keep your car windows rolled up if you only want to observe and not interact with the animals. The walk through Zoo is also great. Feeding the giraffes was a close up experience any child will appreciate. Don't miss the big white tiger. This was just a fun place to visit. It was also very clean.

37 attraction reviews
“Interesting safari park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a "do it yourself" safari park. You driving through in your own car. It's safe and you car is not harmed (gets dirty). You can purchase feed for the animals. You hold the feed out your window and the animals come over to eat. They have a large number and variety of animals. You receive a booklet that details all of the animals you will see. We did have a bird peck the window when we didn't feed him anymore. It is a large park. Children will love it. It is expensive. Approximate $50 for two adults and one child.

Visited September 2013
baltimore
7 attraction reviews
“This is a "must do" when in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was a really nice experience. This is a large park, really well kept and if you take the wagon through the drivers are very knowledgeable. Our driver, Chad was really good. He stopped many places along the route, explained about animals and you are allowed to feed them from the wagon when the animals come right up to you. I really enjoyed it. Just be prepared to use something for your hands, like sanitizer , which is available at stations throughout the park. The animals love to slobber all over you trying to get the food out of your buckets,especially the camels, who grab the buckets and eat them too. There is a small zoo also, with a budgie exhibit, giraffes, tigers, monkeys, etc. It is really a fun experience.