“Nature is Amazing!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Natural Bridge Hotel & Conference Center

You added Natural Bridge Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Natural Bridge Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Appledore Lane, US 11 & 130, Natural Bridge, VA 24578   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Natural Bridge
florida native
“Nature is Amazing!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2007

My family & I stayed here one night as part of our roadtrip. The hotel has a lot of history behind it. I enjoyed the room with the view of the mountains. We explored the historic natural landmark " Natural Bridge". It was a great walk that lead to a waterfall. You will see an Indian village during your walk. We saw a chipmunk,black snake & several different fish in the water.Keep your eyes open to see various animals etc.George Washington carved his initials in the landmark & you can see where it is. The gift shop is unique. We ate dinner at the "Cadillac Diner" not too far from the hotel. It had a "50's theme". The milkshakes were good. The restaurant served a delicious breakfast buffet. The only downside was the pool. It is located indoors under the giftshop. You have to walk thru a tunnel that goes under the street, walk thru the giftshop & downstairs. Once you are there it's an olympic size pool. It is heated. There are caverns located here to. We didn't see them. We went to Grottoes, Va. to see their caverns. We would stay here again. The room was decorated with antique furn. The service was exceptional.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2007

My family and myself stayed there on 4-20-07 and ate in the dining room for the seafood buffet. It was horrible. The food was like rubber and it was over priced. They ran out of food and it took forever to replinish. I asked to speak to the manager and the young lady working in there said she was the manager. I told her my concerns she was not interested. She said they were short staffed and that was the problem I personally do not care if they are short staffed. We paid good money to eat there. So don't go on fridays because the are SHORT STAFFED!!!!!
Our rooms were very nice and clean, the drama was wonderful, little pricey though.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
roanoke
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

I stayed at the Natural Bridge for business. We had a big meeting at te facilities. I worked some with the planning, and everything was great planning the event. The sales staff, espically Tammy was one of the best I have ever delt with, but when we got there, it was a different story.... The place is run down, dirty, smelly and the water is not useable. If you are thinking about going there DO NOT DRINK THE WATER. There are signs up from the health dept about the water, it says you must boil all water from the property. I didn't know about this until the 2nd day. AFTER I had been up all night with stomach problems. I addressed the issue with the food and bev director Dave ( I think) and he acted like I didn't even exist, the girl that was handling the banquet, was fussing and going around saying that she didn't have enough help, and compaining about us being there. I guess they didn't need our business. I asked to speak to the GM and the front desk told me " I didn't want to talk to her, so was the worst one here, and she is hateful" I just kindof laughed if off, and spoke to the sales dept. Again, they were great, Tammy tried to uphold the property and make me as comfortable as she could. At this point, I just told her that we would probaly never be back. They could use a face lift, and get some professional employees to work there.

• Liked — the actual bridge
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2006

We made a last minute decision to stay at this property and used a Travel Discount Guide coupon for our room. Often, this means you get a "lower class" room and this hotel was no different. The room was average, the bathroom was very small. The shower was a simple stall, no tub. The toilet flushing was very loud. Beds were average, although the sheets and towels were clean and fresh.

There is not much to choose from in this area, and it is right across the street from the Natural Bridge. For this reason, I would recommend this hotel, although I have stayed in better places.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2006

We just returned from a 2-day, 1-night stay in Natural Bridge, VA. What a waste of time and money! The website made it sound like such a nice, peaceful getaway and that's what we were expecting. That's not how it turned out! The lobby in the main building of the hotel was very nice and the employees were friendly enough, but, of course, our room wasn't in the main building. We were in a different area, on the third floor, with NO elevator, and it was set up like a motel - all outside corridors! The size of the room itself was OK, but the bathroom was the size of a closet - and forget taking a shower! I am 5'3" and weigh about 115 - I could hardly move in the shower! I still haven't figured out how my 6'3" husband did it! And, forget flushing the toilet - you had to pump the handle several times to get it to empty! Overall, the room was very basic and really showed its age - very old and worn. And, I only saw one bug!

The Natural Bridge itself is an interesting sight, but the views in and around it simply aren't worth it. I don't believe we were quite prepared for all the walking, nor were there any signs telling about the shuttle, which will take you from the building to the bottom of the hill (and back up). We discovered it quite by accident - and it would have been nice if someone had mentioned it, or if there had been signs advertising it! The water along the sides of the "trail" was almost non-existent. I realize there isn't any control over the amount of rain, thus, the level of the water, but it was so empty, it made for a rather "ugly" backdrop. Speaking of rain, the light show was scheduled to begin at 9:00. We arrived early and waited patiently, taking our seats in plenty of time. About 8:15, it began to sprinkle, then rain, then pour, so everyone ran for cover! Unfortunately, no one was communicating with the soaking-wet crowd as to whether the show was going to be cancelled, or simply postponed. We waited until about 9:30 or so and simply gave up! In this modern age, don't they have access to radar? Couldn't they have seen the storm coming, made a decision whether to cancel or postpone, and told the crowd?

After all of this, my husband really wanted a drink! We went to the main building since we had seen signs for a lounge. Well, the Dining Room required reservations and numerous signs made sure everyone knew that, but when I asked at the front desk about the lounge, they told me it was IN the dining room and required reservations too! What kind of lounge requires reservations??

The Wax Museum was interesting and had recordings explaining many of the scenes - I had never seen that before, and it was a nice touch. Can't say the wax figures themselves were all that impressive, though. Most of the time we had to hear the descriptions, or read the plaques to figure out who the people were. The factory tour was rather disappointing - you simply walk through on your own and look at stuff. I expected a factory to have people working and making things, but they weren't there when we were! The Toy Museum reminded me of a flea market or something similar. It was full of old, junky toys for the most-part, and was dirty and stunk! On the positive side, it was rather empty - no crowds!

We were going to stop by the Caverns on our way out. They opened at 1000, and we arrvied about 1004...and apparently, they are quite prompt, because the first tour had already left! Rather than waiting 25 minutes for the next tour to leave, we decided to simply leave. We had had enough!

Two-days and one-night was really too long in this place! If you go to the bridge, make sure you get water before going on the trail - and wear the right shoes! I thought the food/drink place at the bridge area was probably the best part of the trip! They have free refills on drinks and the lemonade is delicious! They even sell beer - and you DON'T need reservations! And, they have a rather varied menu and everything we tried was quite tasty! The employees I encountered were very pleasant, although there aren't many of them! I suspect many people end up being quite disappointed with this place, since when I checked out, the lady at the desk didn't ask me how my stay was, if we enjoyed our stay, etc. She simply said to have a nice day! I guess if you don't want to hear the answer, then you don't ask the question!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sunderland, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

We stayed here for just a night as we wanted to visit the Natural Bridge as part of our holiday in Virginia. The hotel was perfectly fine. The building is nice, the rooms are adequate and the service was friendly and helpful. We had a balcony room in the main building but other rooms are available on the site. I was happy to stay in the hotel itself. The room was well equipped and the bathroom was of a good standard. This isn't a luxury hotel but it is certainly adequate, clean and comfortable. Breakfast buffet was in the Colonial Dining Room and, at 7.95 dollars, was very good value for money. The breakfast staff was very helpful and courteous and took you back to when service counted. Stay here to see the Natural Bridge. I didn't see anything that would disappoint anyone.

• Stayed June 2006
alexandria , virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2006

Do yourself an immense favor and don't stay at this hotel. It needs to be retired. Blankets paper thin, bed and pillow lumpy, radiator sounds like an jet engine, plumbing very loud --food at the hotel dining room was very bad --sent our ribeye steaks back as they were half fat and left hungry.

Stayed April 2006

Been to Natural Bridge Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!