“Best scallops” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Best scallops”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I specially drove from our campground to eat at this restaurant twice during our stay in the area. It really has excellent seafood. The first time we shared the Macho Clam Shack Platter and the scallops were cooked to perfection. So often they can be rubbery. The second time we enjoyed sampler baskets of clam strips - lightly coated and lightly fried with slaw on the side. The staff are exceedingly friendly and helpful. There is a shop area with large coolers and freezers - I bought chowder and crab meat and took it back to camp. We will be back !!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dover, Delaware
“Yes, fresh seafood!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Wow! This little restaurant really surprised us. Home made chowders. The clam chowder had a clear broth with plenty of clams, was very good. My husband and I both had their fried oysters. They were caught locally. They were really great! We will definitely stop here on our way back home.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Service and Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We had a sampler basket of scallops, oysters and clam strips. The price was reasonable and the food was very good - some of the best scallops I've ever had.

The owner was most gracious and friendly. I would stop there again for sure. Thanks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Clinton, New Jersey
“Best Fresh Seafood & Hush Puppies!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stopped at the Great Machipongo Clam Shack today on our way home from NC to NJ and had a very good lunch - sampler basket and shrimp/sweet potato fries basket and she-crab soup. All of this came with wonderful hush puppies. We've been eating fresh seafood on the Outer Banks for over 25 years and this restaurant really knows how to cook fresh seafood well! The only minor comment my husband made was that there were a few tiny pieces of crab shell in the soup, but other than that...out of this world flavor. In addition, the employees of the restaurant are very friendly and helpful. Food was reasonably priced too. I recommend this restaurant as a must-stop if you are traveling on Rt 13 past the area of Nassawadox, VA.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pleasant View, Tennessee
“Great food great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

On my trek up the Eastern Shore I stopped at the Great Machipongo Clam Shack Restaurant. Mom and Pop operated, just an average looking restaurant on a lonely highway. The service was great and the seafood even better. If you want a moderate priced restaurant with good food, this is great. No bells or whistles, but I didn't care. The best food is usually where the locals eat. I wasn't disappointed.

• Visited April 2013