“Remarkable Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Narrows B&B and Inns
Maryland
“Remarkable Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

A great property with fascinating history and down-home hospitality. Allen Neely is a terrific host, and Patty and the staff are wonderful. Make sure you head across the street to the Blue Moon Cafe for the "Man Biscuit" and some exceptional coffee.

Room Tip: Rooms 25 or 32 are great
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Woodbury, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

I have stayed there on three different occasions since the opening. MY STAY HAS ALWAYS BEEN ENJOYABLE. Thanks to Allen and his staff. PS The food was great!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I spent New Years Eve at the Inn and attended the wedding. The MacArthur Inn is a beautiful historical building in a small mountain town. The owner/operator, Allen Neely, was gracious and friendly with the guests and encouraged everyone to have a great time, which we did! The atmosphere of the common areas speak warmth, comfort, and charm. I will be going back and taking family with me.

Room Tip: There are different sized rooms, upstairs and downstairs. Rates are extremely reasonable.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Hampton, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We spent the weekend at the MacArthur Inn. We were there for a wedding however I have stayed there twice before for some serious Trout and Muskie fishing. The Hotel is located in an outdoor enthusiast’s ideal area featuring fishing, rafting, canoeing, hiking, snow skiing and hunting to list a few choices. While each room is uniquely different, our party needing six rooms, found all the accommodations clean and comfortable. Tired of cookie cutter rooms like the Holiday Inn then this is the place complete with antiques and four poster beds! Breakfast was abundant, cooked to order and quite delicious. The staff was friendly and very attentive to our needs, unbelievably so. The original preacher suddenly was unable to show at the last minute for an 8 pm ceremony. The Proprietor contacted another preacher and had a replacement for us in 1 hour! Now that’s service! If you are in the area of Narrows, this is the best place to stay.

Room Tip: Tell the staf what accomodations you need to be comfortable and they will match you to a room that f...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Deltona, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I just got married on New Years Eve at the MacArthur Inn, Narrows, Virginia. Friends and family joined us and filled up the first floor! Proprietor, Allen Neely, took personal care of everything!! On Sunday morning,French toast, biscuits and gravy in the dining room was home-cooked and delicious! The gracious staff was very helpful and during the week at the Blue Moon Coffee House and Emporium served good sandwiches and locals advised me where to fish on Wolf Creek and the New River for trout and muskie when I return in the summer. The old inn has been restored to its turn-of-the-century charm and the adjoining mountains offer great hiking and other activities. Surrounding rivers and tributaries beg to be kayaked and canoed. I used to go to northern Ontario to fish for Muskies. This summer I'm going to fill my stringer at the New River while I enjoy my stay at the MacArthur Inn!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
newport news
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I had a wonderful weekend with my family. This is a great place for a large group to gather and has wonderfully accomadating staff. that will do anything to try and make you comfortable. We were able to be together in one place and gather as a family for the entire weekend. I must first say that I loved being with my family and greatly enjoyed it.
However, the facility is extremely lacking in mainanance and working facilities. I was given a room that I was told not to sit on the toilet seat unless I wanted to fall in the floor and was dirty and smelled like dirty laundry. l was also told that the person who rented the room, long term, had left the morning that I arrived and exited with the key to my room. My only comfort was the chain on the door and was quickly dismissed because it was attached to the wall with a paperclip! I also attempted to close the blinds on my window and thay promptly fell on my head.
I will further complain that my father is Physically Challenged and the room that he stayed in was far from accessible! The bed was so low to the ground that I would have a hard time getting out of it and I am a healthy 29 year old. Also the room was equipped with a bath tub and no step in shower, hardly handicapped accessible in my opinion. When asked, the Inn's owner offered to add some cinderblocks underneath the bed frame and jokingly laughed, needless to say my father was left to climb out of the bed with a walker with much difficulty. This is not a facility that i would recommend unless you are going the weekend of the haunted tour and beware of the haunting state of the facility.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed at the MacArthur Inn while waiting to close on the house I had purchased. When I first arrived in Narrows, I didn' t know anybody. By the time I left I had friends I continue to go back and visit. The owner of the Inn is very accommodating and will bend over backwards to meet the needs of the guests. I loved the way the common areas beg for staff and guests to socialize. i looked forward to sitting out on the big porch in the rocking chairs at night, watching the goings on of the small town. It's like being a big family. The Blue Moon across the street (also owned by same mgmt as the Inn) serves the best sausage gravy and biscuits I've ever had. Plus the girl who runs it, Paige, is both adorable and personable. Stay at the MacArthur Inn if you want to feel at home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to MacArthur Inn? Share your experiences!