“This needs help” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Narrows B&B and Inns
newport news
“This needs help”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I had a wonderful weekend with my family. This is a great place for a large group to gather and has wonderfully accomadating staff. that will do anything to try and make you comfortable. We were able to be together in one place and gather as a family for the entire weekend. I must first say that I loved being with my family and greatly enjoyed it.
However, the facility is extremely lacking in mainanance and working facilities. I was given a room that I was told not to sit on the toilet seat unless I wanted to fall in the floor and was dirty and smelled like dirty laundry. l was also told that the person who rented the room, long term, had left the morning that I arrived and exited with the key to my room. My only comfort was the chain on the door and was quickly dismissed because it was attached to the wall with a paperclip! I also attempted to close the blinds on my window and thay promptly fell on my head.
I will further complain that my father is Physically Challenged and the room that he stayed in was far from accessible! The bed was so low to the ground that I would have a hard time getting out of it and I am a healthy 29 year old. Also the room was equipped with a bath tub and no step in shower, hardly handicapped accessible in my opinion. When asked, the Inn's owner offered to add some cinderblocks underneath the bed frame and jokingly laughed, needless to say my father was left to climb out of the bed with a walker with much difficulty. This is not a facility that i would recommend unless you are going the weekend of the haunted tour and beware of the haunting state of the facility.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

23 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed at the MacArthur Inn while waiting to close on the house I had purchased. When I first arrived in Narrows, I didn' t know anybody. By the time I left I had friends I continue to go back and visit. The owner of the Inn is very accommodating and will bend over backwards to meet the needs of the guests. I loved the way the common areas beg for staff and guests to socialize. i looked forward to sitting out on the big porch in the rocking chairs at night, watching the goings on of the small town. It's like being a big family. The Blue Moon across the street (also owned by same mgmt as the Inn) serves the best sausage gravy and biscuits I've ever had. Plus the girl who runs it, Paige, is both adorable and personable. Stay at the MacArthur Inn if you want to feel at home.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
bassett va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I enjoyed socializing on the big front porch with former classmates, enjoyed Allen's homemade biscuits at the Blue Moon and loved my room #4. I enjoyed socializing and talking with Allens older brothers Jimbo and Tom. The staff was very helpful and also meet and chatted with Allen's cute daughter Patti. I plan to spend another weekend there in Sept with my classmates from 1963. Such a fun nostalgic weekend!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Had a wounderfull stay,great service, Next time in town I will stop in for the Ribs.
Arnold Vass -Newport News Va.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Hinton, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

The owner and staff was wonerful. Every request was met with a smiling face. The breakfast was the BEST! There were 12 in our group who stayed here and not one of them had a complaint.
We highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Each room is unique. None are the same.
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
North East, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

Basic accomodations with good breadkfast and friendly and accomadating staff!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Huge disappointment! Disgusting filthy room; bed sagging & falling apart; pillows flat, stained & matted; multiple types of bugs in bathroom; tub stained & moldy; walls crumbling; large pieces of floor tile missing; foul smell inside dresser drawers; nobody on staff available 10pm to 9am; phone calls to front desk went unanswered; manager Jeremy unfriendly & completely unwilling to correct problems; owner Allen acted sympathetic (said there would be no charge) then authorized charge anyway two days later; $90+ for one night; advertised as Bed & Breakfast, but no signs stating hours for breakfast or that it is served at diner across the street; housekeeping claimed she didn't work there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
macarthur-inn, General Manager at MacArthur Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
you have to be the rudest guest we have ever had. we have never had one bad thing said about room 7 untill you came along and the people that went into room 7 right behind you loved it and were glad you left so they could have it. needless to say the people that were here and watched your behavior were shocked and found your actions amusing. what i cant understand is if you had such a problem with the room is why did you continue to stay? in this line of work we see people do this all the time. they stay untill time for checkout and then come up with all kinds of crazy problems, hopeing to get a free night stay.

Been to MacArthur Inn? Share your experiences!