“Great local Zoo” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Moseley
More attraction details
Owner description: The Zoo opened to the public on April 22, 1995. Over the years, the Metro Richmond Zoo has grown to 120 acres. The Zoo is now home to over 2,000 animals, representing 180 different species from around the world.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great local Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I'm from Ohio, which has a REALLY big zoo and water park. This quaint zoo is a great attraction for families. The peacocks roam free throughout the zoo, which you wouldn't find at a big zoo. You can get so close to the animals. Feed the giraffes and be able to touch them all day long. Large container of food for only $3.00. Took a sky ride ($3.00) and was able to see the large animals close up. Found food to be reasonably priced. Won't be able to spend a lot of time there. Went through the zoo in around an hour. No little kids in our group so we went fast. Cost us around $15.00/person. Well worth it. Did not do the zip line that was there, but it looked fun. Would highly recommend this place.

Alpharetta, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“You can feed giraffes by hand!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This is a fun day-trip and small enough to walk and visit within 1 to 3 hours, depending upon what you are there to do. My 9 and 11 year-old came along with me, and we were delighted.

Because it's a smaller zoo, the enclosures are smaller, but the animals seem to have enough space to move around in. It's kept up reasonably well, and there are plenty of exhibits to see. We really enjoyed the opportunity to hand-feed the giraffes (even a young one!) and the parakeets. We even were able to feed a few monkeys with the monkey food offered in a dispenser.

We really liked this zoo because we saw more animal activity than other zoos have had, and were able to observe the animals from a much closer vantage point than any other zoo. There are swinging chimpanzees, climbing and playful gorillas. You can pet and feed giraffes, and have parakeets land on a feeding stick to eat. The other fun thing is that there were TONS of babies -- young gorillas, apes, and many other monkeys, camels, bison, giraffes, and camels.

What we didn't like: There isn't a lot of shade, so make sure to bring a sun hat with you... it was HOT in June. Second, they really need to replace the clear plastic in many of the viewing areas -- we had to try hard to locate a place where it wasn't scratched up so badly that you couldn't see through it. This is true all throughout the zoo. Also, there was only one place to purchase lunch, and the lines were long, the menu very short, and prices very high. Luckily, we were able to buy sno-cones and be happy. They have a cute gift shop at the end.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“This Zoo Exceeds Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I have visited this Zoo twice. Once in July 2013 and again this June 2014. Both times with my Grandson who is now 3 1/2. This zoo really does a nice job. I tend to be a little over sensitive when it comes to animals. I'm always worried that their lives are unhappy to provide entertainment for humans. I have not felt this way either visit. The zoo is clean and upbeat. Employees are all around cleaning and taking care of the animals.

My Grandson loved feeding the Giraffes and watching the penguins. I thought he would be afraid in the budgie cage but he had a blast and didn't want to leave. It's nice that there are areas where the visitors get hands on experiences with the animals instead of just walking and looking at them.

Of coarse his favorite was his icy cold blue and pink snow cone but, he's 3 1/2, so I 'm certain that's to be expected. It's a nice day for the price. I would definitely suggest this zoo to families looking for something to do where the children can run, get exercise and just be kids all while learning about animals and widening their knowledge of the world.

Salisbury, Maryland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

HOT, HOT day! Loved the snow cones/ice cream options. Loved bringing my own icy drinks.Purchased sky ride and a cup of zoo treats upon admission. My teenaged daughter LOVED feeding the giraffes and other animals. The sky ride was lots of fun too.

SC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“New zipline course won't let you down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I took our 11 year old niece here on Saturday. We were a little unsure about it since it shares property with the Richmond Metro Zoo (which isn't very strong) but we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff was efficient and easy to understand when giving directions. There were two course options depending on the age of the kids. You start with a brief safety demonstration that only took about 15-20 minutes for our small group (6) that was there when they opened. Once trained they let you go...into the trees to do a high ropes/obstacle style course (they call them games) that included by our count 16 zip lines of varying lengths. The zip lines move from the forest, across the lake to the zoo side and finish with several zip lines over the actual zoo property. Overall it was a great experience and would recommend it anyone.