“New zipline course won't let you down” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 Attractions in Moseley
More attraction details
Owner description: The Zoo opened to the public on April 22, 1995. Over the years, the Metro Richmond Zoo has grown to 120 acres. The Zoo is now home to over 2,000 animals, representing 180 different species from around the world.
SC
4 attraction reviews
“New zipline course won't let you down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I took our 11 year old niece here on Saturday. We were a little unsure about it since it shares property with the Richmond Metro Zoo (which isn't very strong) but we were very pleasantly surprised. The staff was efficient and easy to understand when giving directions. There were two course options depending on the age of the kids. You start with a brief safety demonstration that only took about 15-20 minutes for our small group (6) that was there when they opened. Once trained they let you go...into the trees to do a high ropes/obstacle style course (they call them games) that included by our count 16 zip lines of varying lengths. The zip lines move from the forest, across the lake to the zoo side and finish with several zip lines over the actual zoo property. Overall it was a great experience and would recommend it anyone.

Visited June 2014

Virginia, United States
13 attraction reviews
“Wonderful small zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have visited this zoo a few times over the past 10 years, and it is really growing up! We went this weekend and had an amazing visit, I would definately recommend this zoo to anyone who planned to be in the area.

I went this weekend with my two children (ages 10 DS and 8 DD) and my father (senior). The weather was in the high 70's, but the zoo is nicely shaded in most areas and there was a breeze that made the temperature feel perfect.

Highlights:
The giraffes are always exciting, you can feed them zoo provided pellets (fee $2/cup) right out of your hand. You can pet them and get an up-close experience. There were several young giraffes, and a baby who ran all across the field- oh yes, the giraffes have plenty of room to run, unlike some zoos that have very small enclosures.

We also had a fun experience in the bat house. A zookeeper was getting ready to feed the bats and sloths, so the lights were turned up and you could really see the bats. It was interesting to watch the bats walk around on the ceiling and interact with each other and the 2 sloths. My children really enjoyed watching the bats and sloths being fed, and it relieved a common fear many people have of these nocturnal animals.

Other observations and comments:

They added a Budgee feeding house that I feel could use some improvements- it was a safe environment for the birds, but somewhat frustrating for the visitors. The other Budgee feeding house I visited provided closer access to the bird's perches so you could try to entice the bird to your seed stick. These roped-off walkways were far from many of the perching areas and these birds didn't seem as comfortable with people.

The variety of monkeys is wonderful. Nice petting zoo area with hand sanitizing areas and bathroom close by. The lion enclosure is at an awkward angle and always difficult to see. We got to see a joey in a kangaroo's pouch - on my daughter's wish list for must sees! The birds were interesting and entertaining. Our favorite tiger passed away :( so there was only one tiger on display (they have 2 they rotate).

They've added a food concession with very reasonable prices ($2-6) and a basic menu (hot dog, nuggets, snowcone, smoothie, ice cream, soda). They also added a children's play space- an enclosure with climbing, sliding and other activities with only one way out which is a great idea.

Overall, it's a wonderful zoo with a nice variety. The walking is easy and the map is created in loops, so you don't miss anything.

Richmond, Virginia
“A little bit of the jungle/savanna in Greater Richmond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I live near the zoo and decided to visit just to see the cheetah kits. I found so much more and enjoyed every single minute of it. No heavy-handed messages of extinction, no vastly unwalkable spaces. This zoo harkens back to the small local zoos of the 50s--only the animals are much better treated! I loved it, bought a season pass and have been their every week since early Spring. Great for kids--really--especially the little ones. Can't wait to have some grandchildren so I can take them there!

Richmond, Virginia
11 attraction reviews
“New baby animals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This zoo just gets better and better each year. Recently a giraffe was born in front of the public and a few months ago 4 cheetahs were born. The monkeys are always so much fun to watch.

Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
“This zoo is worth a visit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

It isn't Washington, the Bronx, or Philadelphia, but it is well designed, and there are plenty of animals to see and interact with. My adult son and I went yesterday, and there were lots of families enjoying it, We decided that it was just the right size to be "doable " with kids without over-tiring them - or yourself. We did the sky lift and the tram and found the prices to be reasonable for the experience we had. The concessions are just slightly higher than the "outside" venues...much better than the big amusement parks or the movies. In other words, you won't be wiped out if you take your kids, and they want to munch. It is well maintained, and the animals seem to be well cared for. You can feed many of the animals with food you purchase at admissions. Hand sanitizer is near every feeding area! There is a new baby giraffe, and there are new little cheetahs, too! I found the staff members to be friendly, highly efficient, and helpful. I do agree that it would be a good idea to replace the glass that allows you to peek in the enclosures. One word of advice: pay for the extras at admission. It will save you time and angst if the token machines aren't working properly.