“Clean and cozy!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arbogast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monterey
Arbogast Inn
You added Arbogast Inn to your Saves list
364 W. Main St, Monterey, VA 24465   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Monterey B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“Clean and cozy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed one night, on the way through Monterey, in mid-March. We stayed in the Dickens Room, which was nicely appointed, cozy, and very clean. The innkeeper was friendly, pleasant, and hospitable. Because it was snowing quite a bit, she called the 2 local restaurants, on our behalf, just to make sure that they would be open, which was very thoughtful! We would recommend this B & B for anyone. Great experience!

Room Tip: All rooms look wonderful, but be sure to note that one room has two twin beds (very elegant, though...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Our stay at the Arbogast Inn was amazing. My wife and I spent our 1st wedding anniversary in monterey for the maple syrup festival. Betty the inn keeper treated us just like family from the maple donuts served at breakfast to the wonderful conversations in the dining room. Betty even stayed up extra late to accommodate our late arrival from DC. The Jane Austin room was nicely decorated and very clean. There was even a homemade maple bar of soap waiting for us in our room. I would highly recommend staying at this charming inn.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
David C, Owner at Arbogast Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you so much for the review! Glad to hear you and your wonderful wife had such a fun time at the Inn during the Highland County, VA Maple Festival. Would love to host you again.

Take care,
Betty
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

Weekend trip for the ladies. The four of us booked all three rooms so had place to ourselves. The weather was wonderful in the 60's the whole time.Took in bingo at the firehouse on Friday night, didn't win a lot but had a great time. Visited the shops,
traveled around the countryside taking pictures of the new "barn quilts", absolutely beautiful. Ms. Boesch is a true talent. Bought some wonderful postcards at the inn, photos taken by innkeeper, David Cockerham, hoping to get some of his bigger prints when I get home. The peace, quiet and mountain scenery are definitely worth a trip back, not to mention the warm hospitality of our hosts.

Room Tip: Dickens room has fireplace and sofa and chair
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Littleton, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

The Arbogast Inn, formally the Mountain Laurel Inn, is quite possibly one of the best B&B's we've ever stayed. Our daughter is attending college in nearby Staunton, VA and the opportunity led my wife and I to explore the wonderful mountains of Virginia before heading back home. We plan on making many return visits and wholeheartedly recommend this bed and breakfast.

The accommodations were excellent, the owners were very attentive and friendly. They welcomed us like family and made us feel right at home from check in to check out. We stayed in the "Charles Dickens Suite" and absolutely loved every second. The Inn is located in downtown Monterey and is easily within walking distance to local shops and restaurants.

The home cooked breakfast was superb. I honestly cannot say enough about this hidden gem in the mountains. The attention to detail was impeccable; chocolate on nightstands, bathrobes, complementary newspaper. It was truly nice to unwind from the daily stresses of life. I went trout fishing while my wife worked on a puzzle. There are many outdoor activities to partake or just spending time soaking up the local history. Our stay was very relaxing and I felt refreshed after a great night sleeping on the king size bed.

I was told the quiet town has a population of less than 250 people and during the yearly Maple Festival has over 50,000 visitors so I would recommend booking early. For such a small town they have great spirit and seem to enjoy hosting many festivals during the year.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Chesterfield, Va.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2008

Visited during the 2008 Highland County Fair and hated to leave
when our three day trip was up. Stayed in the Jane Austen Room,
which was beautifully decorated. Our hosts took excellent care
of us during our stay and the food was simply amazing. The view
of the mountains out our window each morning made waking up
a joy. Wish our trip had been longer. Will definitely be back!

Mark C.and Donna P.
Chesterfield, Va.

• Liked — The service, food and the beautiful views of the mountains.
  • Disliked — Waking up the last day and having to leave.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

Visiting Arobogast Inn was one of the most relaxing and beautifully scenic trips I have taken. Monterey, the town the inn is located in, is surrounded by mountains and near the George Washington National Park. There are great shops, restaurants, and amazing hiking and photo taking opportunities.

The inn itself is a picture perfect Victorian, decorated in beautiful period style. The innkeepers are friendly and were very accommodating, changing the menu for me when I mentioned I was diabetic and providing me with a place in my room to keep my insulin refrigerated. Breakfast was absolutely delicious, I can't say enough good things about their cooking abilities. Everything was homemade and there was enough that I was still full at lunch! The rooms are spacious, impeccably clean, and beautifully decorated.

Anyone interested in a bed and breakfast in the mountains should definitely make a reservation at this little gem.

• Liked — The friendly people and beautiful, relaxing atmosphere and surroundings.
  • Disliked — That I had to get back to work and couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Arbogast Inn? Share your experiences!