“July 4th Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montebello
Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort
You added Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort to your Saves list
15072 Crabtree Falls Hwy, Montebello, VA 24464   |
Knoxville, Tennessee
“July 4th Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I just read the other views posted and am surprised by the negativity. We stayed in the new Spy Rock cabin July 4th weekend and was extremely pleased with our experience. The cabin was very cozy and conveniently located to the store and lake. This is a family owned campground and, where other smaller campgrounds may have a problem with rowdiness on a holiday weekend, we did not experience anything of the sort. Montebello is the perfect resort for those actually trying to "get away" instead of those trying to go someplace else to be entertained. The location is perfect for nature lovers because it is a hop from Crabtree Falls (a beautiful hike) and a skip from the Blue Ridge Parkway (2 miles for picturesque scenery). Honestly, if you are expecting an overcrowded KOA-type campground with overcrowded amenities, this is not the place for you!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We were initially excited to get a spot in this campground as my kid loves to fish, we all love to hike and especially enjoy the peace and quiet of the mountains.

Don't go to this campground for any peace and quiet. I understand family enjoyment, etc., but the drunken, loud unruly had a place to go for Memorial Day weekend and this was the place.

The campground itself is barely "ok." The campsites are one on top of another with little to no privacy and the facilities are subpar. For a campground this size they really need more than two showers in their one comfort station. Every time I went into the bath house it was dirty with trash on the shower floors and the paper towel rolls just sitting on the ledge above the sink, wet halfway through. I saw more than one camper letting their grey water vent directly out onto the ground. It seems they're putting more into building cabins than maintaining or improving the campground itself.

All the reviews I read generally said something about the customer service at the store and let me tell you, they aren't kidding. I would not label any of the ladies working there as "friendly." Maybe they think they are, but anything requiring more than a one word answer is cutting into their day and they don't seem to be up to it.

One bright spot was the campground host is pretty cool and very helpful and on top of requests.

Room Tip: I hit "rooms" and it wouldn't let me uncheck it. My camper is excellent.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Montebello hotels

Any Where
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Nothing special about the campground itself. Mostly for campers and such. Kind of rough for tent camping though we made do. The spots are on top of each other with limited privacy. It is at a nice altitude and was cool in July. Very nice bathhouse, tile and good ventilation. NO ODORS or humidity in bathhouse. Camp store had lots of items for those that one may have forgotten. I would return during week days when they are less crowded.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Norfolk, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I visited this campground this past weekend which was 7/12-13/2013. I'm a motorcyclist that likes to camp & figured this to be a good spot to park for the weekend... right off of one of my favorite motorcycle roads in VA... Rte 56. My riding partner arrived before me & was very specific with the lady handling the desk that we were on bikes, would be tenting & we would like a site that is easy for us to access. We'd like an electric site so we could charge our phones & communicators, also. I arrived several hours after him. I couldn't tell much about the campgrounds until morning. Saturday morning I discovered the campground was tight... as in the sites are very close together. Ok, deal with it. We ride for the day & arrive back that afternoon. I decided to go buy wood & ice. I discover the wood is $5.99 for a very small bundle. I'm talking 5 decent sized pieces of wood to a bundle. After complaining I sucked it up & bought 2 bundles. One with decent sized sticks & one with smaller pieces to make it easier to light a fire. I go outside to retrieve the wood to load onto my bike & the bundles are so poorly tied together I just threw one of the bundles into the parking lot piece by piece & loaded it on the bike unbundled. The other bundle I precariously balanced after much coaxing & got it to the bike. Gather ice & go back to campground. Look to plug in my cycle communicator & electric was 220 volts ONLY. How many motorcycles do you know that carry 220 volt anything? It seemed that surrounding sites had 115. Needless to say I was irritated by this a lot... & especially after we had paid for a site where we could use electricity. Made nice with a neighbor & he charged my communicator for me from a wall outlet on his trailer. We cooked dinner, ate & decided to go ahead & start our fire. My riding partner joked that we only had enough wood for about an hour's worth of fire. Well in all actuality, the fire took an hour and 1/2 to get lit & only lit because one of our neighbors took pity on us seeing us trying to light this WET WOOD & gave us some dry pieces to get the fire rolling.

Talking about the rest of the campsite... the bathrooms appeared clean & they were well lit. There were times that I visited the facilities & there were no hand towels or toilet paper. There were no benches outside of the bathrooms to dry your feet & put your shoes on & they could really use fold down benches or something like that in the shower stalls. The roads were heavily, heavily rutted. I understand there was heavy rain that went through the area the past week... but there was no attempts at fixing them. Glad that I managed to keep my bike upright.

Room Tip: Don't expect a lot when you visit.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Found Montebello two weeks before Memorial Day Weekend. They had one spot open; we took it. That Mem Day Weekend was a really cold one (May 2013) and was too cold to take our 2 year old tent camping in. We called the morning of our reservation and they allowed us to move our reservation to the July 4 weekend.
It was great of them to remind us of our options when we though we had to cancel. (Its actually written on their website. I just missed it).

Room Tip: If you want privacy pay a little bit more for a water/electric hook-up site (even if you only have a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
La Plata, Maryland, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

My family and I love to camp, we enjoy the peace and quiet and family time. We were disappointed in this camp ground. The website makes it seem much larger than it is. The sites are quiet tight and right up on each other. The 1st site we were given could not hold a family size tent, the trees were right in the middle! Again the description provided over the phone was not what it was when we got there. They were quick to help us locate a more suitable site. We are a family of 6 and use 3 tents. We were not advised that only 1 tent per site and a pup tent are allowed (we did advise how many were in our family when I reserved the site) the camp grounds were clean as well as the bath house, it was a bit buggy (small fruit flies all over ) there is no cellphone service for a good 10 miles. The roads to is are quite winding and narrow. (Brakes were smoking by the time we got there) we picked this location for the horseback riding. When we called to book the site we inquired about wheat was needed to reserve as well as called 2 other times, we were told to schedule it when we arrived. To our dismay once we got there, they were all booked. After a pointed conversation we were allowed to join another group of 2 people, the. Kids had a blast and enjoyed the horse back riding and trails. There really is nothing else to do at this camp ground but fish, which we don't really do. The paddle boats and kayaks were nice for the kids, but one trip around the lake and they were done. We chose not to leave the campground because of the roads and really wanted to just stay put. This is not a camp ground we will visit again or recommend to our friends. It was ok for 2 nights but that is about it. If you don't fish like a pro and have kids this is NOT the place for you.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We recently stayed here for 2 days on our way back from the Outer Banks. We have a motorhome and it was a bit of a strain driving through the mountains but she made it up!! The sites were a bit small but it had everything we needed. The country store was nice though I wish they served more than just chilli since they are the only place to get food around there and we were tired of cooking out. The fishing is great for kids though the swimming pond was disappointing, not well maintained and even the kids who will swim in anything said it was just "too gross" But you can't beat the location. The Blue Ridge mountains are amazing and it's so nice to camp in peace and quiet. We hiked Crab Tree falls which was a lot of fun!

Room Tip: Be sure to let them know what kind of rig you have since some of the spots are awkward
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort? Share your experiences!