“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 40 Restaurants in Moneta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Family restaurant with focus on Customer Service. Your Dining Experience is our motto. Casual dress with a nice ambience. Reservations are suggested.
Mechanicsville, Virginia, United States
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Best place we have ever been at SML. burgers were out of this world! I will be recommending this place to everyone I know vacationing in SML.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Annapolis, Maryland
“Has A Real Chef”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

One of the upscale choices at SML. Atmosphere is cozy and pleasant. The food is very good but a bit overpriced.
These folks are bit full of themselves. Their place is nice but not as nice as they think it is. Perhaps they have never been out of Westlake. However, it is a good choice for those who demand something better than average.

Visited August 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Wonderful local restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Food, service and atmosphere was great. Our server was friendly and helpful. The owners were present and out visiting with patrons. We enjoyed prime rib friday. We will definitely return to this restaurant and hope to hit seafood Wednesdays.

Visited August 2014
Moneta, Virginia
“So-So food and bad service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Sooner or later this place will cease to exist, and IMO, it won't be soon enough. We had a horrible experience with the waitress, and then let the owner know, and he listened - and then said "Well this is her last week" as if this will solve the problem.

Somehow, a bit more concern from the owner would have been nice. But, just as in baseball, 3 strikes and you are out. This was the third time we have had a bad experience here. While it would be great to have a nice restaurant here, I can no longer support a place where the owner doesn't care.

If you were the owner, and someone shared a horrible review, wouldn't you offer them something to get the bad taste out of their mouth? Come back for a glass of wine, a free salad, let me comp a piece of pie????? In today's market "Sorry" just seems lass than adequate.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tom G, Owner at Blackwater Cafe, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
I am not sure why your visit to the Blackwater Café was in September 2013 (per your review) and you are just now writing this poor review. I do not remember any discussion with you about your experience and poor service. I take service very seriously and would not have responded as you indicated. Please call me if you would like to discuss.
Zebulon, North Carolina
“Blackwater Cafe Wears a White Hat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I dined at this restaurant on Saturday evening, August 2. There were 5 members in my group and we each ordered something different, then passed around the plates when they arrived. Everything was cooked exactly as it was ordered and was absolutely superb! The only drawback to the Blackwater Cafe is the lack of a view of the Lake but after spending the day on the lake, I didn't need an evening on the Lake too. I was much more interested in the quality of the food and the service with which it was delivered. In this case, both were incredible! There were two people in my group who prize themselves on their personal knowledge of cooking and food preparation. Impressing either of them is usually difficult. Not so in this case. The Blackwater excelled and everyone was impressed. The food was great, the ambiance was fine and our waitress was absolutely incredible. I was delighted to see the Blackwater offered monthly wine dinners and saddened only to see that my visit to the area would not coincide with any in the foreseeable future. The wine list, while not extensive, was still very impressive with many reasonably priced wines and many wines of exceptional reputation. This restaurant surpised me and that takes some doing so I will make a point to return here on my next visit to the area. The Blackwater Cafe Wears a White Hat - a Master Chef's Hat!

• Visited August 2014