“Good food and movie experience” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Movie Theaters
Attraction Details
Hampton Roads region, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
“Good food and movie experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We ate a light dinner their while watching a movie. I wish I had known about this place for breakfast. It was the same diner (Cosmo's) that was in Chesapeake, VA that I used to eat at all the time. I met the owner. He was very nice and personable. The staff was friendly and personable as well. It is a very nice place and I will come back next time I am in the SML area.
We watched a double feature movie. The misty rain was annoying, but otherwise it was a very enjoyable experience. The first move was kid friendly. We got him to crash before the second R rated movie started. It was a very nice place and is definitely a hidden gem in the SML area.

Visited October 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
“Perfect total experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

If you love a great drive-in movie, the authentic diner adds to the experience. If you love an authentic country diner, the drive-in movie adds to the experience. If you love both, as I do, you have the perfect evening. And the movie was a double feature of first-run hits, both of which were on my must-see list.

Drive-in: Great policy prevents larger SUV's, minivans, and even larger crossover vehicles from the front two rows. Each row is raised a bit in a hump fashion, enabling both theater-style viewing over anyone in front of you and an ability to angle your car upward or downward depending upon personal preference. There was no line to get into or out of the drive-in. I could wish the popcorn was a less salty, but otherwise a perfect movie experience.

Diner: Everything you expect from an authentic country diner. I had a bacon cheeseburger and onion rings. My wife had an open-faced turkey/gravy sandwich with pole beans. I should confess to my milkshake also - not exactly a health food experience, although the menu was quite extensive and included healthy options as well. None of the food items was the best I've ever had, but all items were first-rate quality, tasty, and satisfying. Overall a perfect diner experience.

Visited July 2013
Moneta, Virginia, United States
18 attraction reviews
“Outdoor movies in summertime”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A drive in theater is a throw back to childhood and a nice summer treat!! The movies at Mayberry are fairly current and the screen is BIG! Sit in your car or take your chair and sit outside of our vehicle...just be close enough to use your car radio as the speaker. Pack your own snacks or buy something to eat at the diner...just don't order something last minute; the diner gets busy!!

Visited August 2012
VA
13 attraction reviews
“true diner experience with a movie as a bonus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Mayberry Diner is a great example of the 50's diner. It's worth the trip just to see the place and examine the décor. And the drive-in is just so much fun. It allows us to give the grandkids a look back to our 'good ole days' when drive-in's were in every small town. We've seen several great family movies (wish there were more of them produced) and the kids have enjoyed seeing them as a late night outdoor fun time with the family. The location seems remote but it is on a direct route if you're also visiting Smith Mountain Lake State Park or the Moneta/Huddleston area of Bedford County. It's not even about the food really, but the fun nostalgic atmosphere and the drive-in movie experience make it worth your time.

Visited April 2013
Boones Mill, Virginia, United States
“ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The food is good. Nothing that I have to get back quickly to have again. Staff was good and very friendly. Atmosphere was excellent. Love any fifties type decor. They did a good job recreating that feel. This place is a little out in the sticks but you are in the lake area so most places are a little ways out. I would recommend that people try it at least once

Visited July 2012