“Good food and atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Midlothian, Virginia
“Good food and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We enjoyed our dinner at Capital Ale House, and we were there during happy hour so the drinks were several dollars off. If you like beer, they have a lot of choices. The crab cakes are delicious, the cobb salad is large and good, and my husband enjoyed his burger. We planned to eat outside, but there was a large party going on so we moved inside to a much more enjoyable and quiet environment.

Visited September 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
“Always a great place to dine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I've been here a few times and have never been disappointed. I love their burgers but today I had their special BBQ pork sandwich, which came with fries and hush puppies. My wife had a really great basil shrimp salad -- the shrimp looked wonderful and it was on a nice corn salad and covered with crostini. As an appetizer shared their giant pretzel, which tasted fresh out of the oven and had a nice sweet mustard to go with it. I can't wait to come back!

Visited September 2013
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Good food, beer and staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Staying in a nearby Best Western we spotted this place driving in. We enjoyed so much we went back twice.

The food is bistro style takes on classics. So burgers feature a lot. But there were a good selection of salads too.

Portions are more European size. (Thankfully)

Some on here say service is slow. We found it relaxed which makes a nice change from many US places where no sooner have you sat down than you are expected to say what you want to drink and a few minutes later what you want to eat.

A special mention for the staff. I left my wallet after the first visit. But it was looked after and I collected it the next evening.

One slight complaint. One of our party is 21. The first night he was a served a beer without being asked for ID. The second night he tried to order a beer at the bar (while we were waiting for a table) and was asked for ID. No issue with that but the bar staff wouldn't accept his UK driving licence (which has a photo and his date of birth on it.) He was later served a beer no questions asked at the table.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Midlothian, Virginia
“Not my cup of tea”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is an okay place and seems to be favored for groups to meet. Drinking beer - which I don't - is almost a requirement. The service was fine. The food average. The price fair for offerings. It was very loud and just not the type of place I would go.

Visited June 2013
Virginia
“Meh food and poor service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Visited Capital Ale House on a slow week night to try out their food. I'm not a drinker, but I'd heard that their West End location was good, so I wanted to try their location South of the River. Huge disappointment. I ordered their version of salad nicoise and my husband ordered a chicken sandwich. The tuna tasted slightly off, and the vegetables were overdressed and not particularly tasty. Not bad enough to send back, but didn't encourage me to try anything else. Husband said chicken sandwich was average. Do not recommend.

• Visited May 2013