“Like staying with family…only better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express

You added Holiday Inn Express to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8710 Midlothian Turnpike, Midlothian, VA 23235 (Formerly Comfort Inn Midlothian)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Midlothian
earth
“Like staying with family…only better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

When you stay at a hotel, you get a feeling. The feeling may be that the rooms are clean and everything works; that the front desk is efficient or not. That the price/value relationship was positive or negative, etc.
That said, the owner of this hotel has obviously spent over a million dollars renovating this hotel and converting it to a Holiday Inn Express. We initially chose it because Holiday Inn Express has a reputation for consistency. Yes, the room was clean. Yes, everything works in the room. Yes, the front desk was efficient. All of the basics were done.
Then, we made friends. We weren’t looking for them, but they just happened. First, it was San at the Front Desk. She’s a wonderful young woman at the front desk who, yes, is friendly and efficient, but she is so much more. She worked her way into our visit, genuinely concerned that we have a good time. Making suggestions, jokes, and comments that a friend would. It isn’t something that was trained into her. It is who she is.
We then met Kiman, The Prince of the Morning. Kiman is in charge of the wonderful breakfast they serve. He takes personal responsibility and well-deserved pride in the service and product he delivers. He greets every guest with a pleasant “good morning”. And is observant of what the guest likes and doesn’t like. Within boundaries, he tries to tailor the breakfast experience for each guest.
It was a pleasure to get to know these two, and enjoy the fine work of the people behind the scenes who clean and keep everything working.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was very nice
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for staying with us and for your fantastic review. My favorite reviews are the ones that praise our hotel staff. We believe we have the best team of associates at any hotel in the area and it is great to read that this was your experience, too.
We are delighted to hear that you were comfortable during your stay and enjoyed the results of our recent renovations. Please consider yourself officially welcomed back and I hope that you will decide to allow us to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Courtney's attitude is awesome very nice and all ways greeting guests when they walk in and walk out very friendly and outgoing but some management members are all ways rude to her but she does her job RIGHT!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Richmond - Midlothian Turnpike. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I arrive on a Saturday night . The front desk associate Sean greeted me with very excellent customer service he made sure I made it to my room safely and ask me did I need him to assist me on anything. He made sure the lobby was always clean and put fresh coffee out. Also makes good popcorn ... Sean always greet me everytime I come down from the room ... He is a wonderful front desk associate im glad my visit was excellent because of him .

Room Tip: bed comfortable and clean
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Some of my favorite reviews are the ones that compliment our staff. We feel we have a very caring and hard working staff that go above and beyond to make sure our guests are taken care of and it is a pleasure to hear that this was your experience. We hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon!
Chester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

From the time you walk in to the time you walk out you are surprised (some good some bad).
I got to the hotel in the evening, and received pleasant greeting from Courtney at the desk.
when i got to the room i fell on the bed, it was like sleeping on a bed of clouds. the next morning breakfast was hot and fresh. my overall experience was good except, fans should be in the bathrooms and guy at the front desk with the glasses should not be so creepy, he made me feel uneasy. When i come back i'll be sure to bring the wife and kids.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
We are delighted to hear that you were so very comfortable and received excellent service during your stay! I am pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy our delicious hot breakfast buffet - it's a guest favorite. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again the next time your travels bring you to the Richmond area.
Rogersville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I arrived on a Sunday evening. The young girl that checked me in was talking to house keeping. Once she turned her attention to me, she started the check-in process. She never ask me about my IHG membership, so I ask her if they had in on file. She said, "Yes, I see it." She ask me if I was satisfied with my room..?? I responded that I guess, I hadn't seen it yet.. Anyway, The hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable. The toilet, IS LOW as mentioned in other reviews. The wall paper in the bathroom is peeling and its missing the cover for the ground fault plug in the bathroom. Every hotel I have stayed in always greets you when you walk in of the morning, evening etc.. This same girl was always sitting in the lobby when we returned talking to a group of ppl holding her cell phone. She would raise up to see who was coming in and then recline back when she seen it was "just a guest".. The black gentlemen that prepared breakfast of the mornings was EXACTLY the kind of employee you need in that business. Very Professional, Friendly and proudly represented the hotel. It's funny how one negative person can change your whole experience. Honestly, if you try to picture that stay without her, I would rate it a 4.5...

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your candid feedback on your stay. We take all guest concerns and feedback very seriously and I can assure you that we have already addressed the maintenance and service issues you mentioned. We appreciate your taking the time to bring these concerns to our attention. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the top-notch service we are typically known for in our breakfast area and it was a pleasure to share your comments with our staff.
We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to exceed your expectations the next time your travels bring you to the Richmond area.
Lawsonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2015

I stay there about every week because of work. I have always received top notch customer service. The staff are wonderful and always there to help. The lobby and the rooms are very inviting and comfortable. They go out of their way to make my night away from home feel like a home.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, February 24, 2015
We are honored that you choose to stay with us whenever your travels bring you to the Richmond area. It is such a pleasure to hear that you consider the Holiday Inn Express Richmond - Midlothian Turnpike to be a home away from home. Our goal is to welcome each of our guests just as we would welcome a guest in our own home and your kind comments are the seal of approval on our efforts. Thank you for your business and for your recommendation to other travelers. We look forward to your next stay.
Northern Neck, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2015

Our recent visit to this location was our first visit to the newly remodeled and re-branded hotel. First visual impressions were stunning! We were greeted and quickly informed that the type of room we had reserved (handicap accessible) was no longer available because a current guest decided to stay at least another night. We had reserved this room type for a two night stay. Despite our hesitation to stay at all, we were both tired and my husband and I had spent the entire day on the road and at a local hospital. The room was clean except the light in the fridge was out and the "tank" on the toilet was loose. The staff called our room right after check in and asked if they could do anything for us. Since they could not change the situation we thanked them and settled in for the night. The next day we were informed that we would be able to finally get the original "accessible" room later that afternoon. The friendly front desk staff and the housekeeping staff both assured us that we would be in our room a.s.a.p. We packed all of our belongings and went out to get some lunch. When we returned we were informed that the previous guest had had some "issues" and that the room was still being cleaned. Shortly before 3p.m. on that day we finally were able to enter the "accessible" room originally reserved. The management and staff were most apologetic. The room again was cleaned, however the smell of disinfectant was almost nauseating. During the evening that smell dissipated and a rank smell of sorts (we believe bodily fluids) was still very present. Also, the seat in the roll-in shower was broken. At this point we were exhausted and still had an early morning appointment back at the local hospital (fortunately we travel with our own deodorizing spray).

Upon check out early the next morning, we told them about the broken bench and the rank smell. The front desk clerk said they would probably have to "shut down" the room for a few days.

Perhaps upon reading this review you may wonder why the excellent rating and title. Very simply put, the hotel which was once another brand and in need of much improvement was re-branded, re-staffed and we were treated with great respect and kindness. As for the room situation, well, anyone can become ill while traveling and we feel for the guest who used the room before us. The complimentary breakfast was very good and again, the staff provided friendly and professional service, especially Tresan. We will come back!

In our opinion this staff took lemons and made lemonade!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Sarah H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, February 19, 2015
Thank you for being our guests and for your 5-star review of your recent stay. Although we are very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay, it is a pleasure to read your comments on our staff's response to the challenges that arose. On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for your compliments on the respect and kindness you received during your stay. We strive to treat our guests just as we would treat a guest in our own home. We are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to replace this experience with a positive one soon.

Been to Holiday Inn Express? Share your experiences!