“There's a New Restaurant in Town” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 20 Restaurants in Middleburg
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Warrenton, Virginia
“There's a New Restaurant in Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Hard for Middleburg to lose a restaurant, and anything new is eyed greatly with suspicion. Julien's Cafe has proven brilliant in bringing new style to this town. The Quiche and salad is just unbelievable. How can a salad be so "bright" and simple? The only negatives are, for older people, the front steps (I think there are three), the sometimes too loud crowd, and music. Oh, and the bathroom is fine, but tight and for one person, so there is a waiting line quite quickly. Cost is extremely fair!

Visited May 2012

S.W. Florida
“Julian's has much to offer”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We made reservations for lunch on a very busy October Saturday - a little more staffing would go a LONG way to improving service & the experience. The staff was well meaning but overwhelmed. A host/ess would have helped immensely.

The menue is varied but I think LESS would be more in the sense that concentrating on a tighter group of offerings would improve consistency & therefore quality. There is no doubt talent in the kitchen but the front of the house is overwhelmed. We did not risk going back when my brother, who is local, suggested it the next day. We had a large party & obligations later so haphazard & slow service was not an option. I would hope to try it again sometime but only on a slow weekday. Too many other places to choose from that have good food & better more attentive service.

Wharton, Texas
“Convenient Place to Eat in Middleburg”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife & I went for a drive on Sunday, October 21. We drove out of DC toward Leesburg and eventually arrived in Middleburg. We had not had lunch so we stopped for a fairly early evening meal before driving back to Arlington. I think we arrived there about 4:15pm. We were seated quickly and then it took the waiter forever to come take our orders. We ordered Tilapia and the fish was excellent, however, the vegetables served with the meal were tasteless. The server did not return to our table to refill water glasses, to see if we wanted more coffee, or if we wanted dessert without us having to get his attention. He looked at us many times but never came over to the table. It was strange. Also, a pesky fly bothered us all during the meal.
The location is on the main street in Middleburg and is very convenient. I think if the service was improved and a little more attention was paid to the side dishes, the experience would be fine.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Fresh Food & Atmosphere w/ a French Accent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Bison Burger plainly succulent - not overwhelmed with sauce or seasoning. Wife's fall squash quiche was fresh and done just right.
Atmosphere was simple and light.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Cute-ish, but problems at every turn”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I use Trip Advisor all the time to pick hotels, restaurant, tour companies, you name it. I find that it is a great validating tool that if accurate 98% of the time. I ran into a 2% spot today. I realize that this was one visit, and one needs a larger sample to fully evaluate a restaurant, but consider this one data point along with the others before dining here.

I took my in-laws on a Saturday trip to Middleburg for lunch and some shopping and was looking for a good place for lunch and Julien's seemed to fit the bill. We had reservations for lunch and unfortunately got a table in the back by the kitchen, oh well, that's just bad luck, but the rest of the meal was a bit of a mess. The place was full, but there was only one waiter and a busboy working. The waiter messed up our order and my Father-in-law didn't get what he ordered, my wife had to wait 10 minutes for some milk to go with her tea and my Mother-in-law had to get up herself to go get some dressing for her un-dressed salad. The food quality was ok, but not much of a value for the prices. The frites with my steak were almost identical to McDonald's french fries, but less fresh. I asked them to cook my steak the way they thought best for the cut, and it was too rare, tough and stringy. My wife's Croque Monsieur was greasy and appeared to be on two pieces of wonder bread. Finally, when we got our check and I studied it, I realized we had been overcharged for all of the above. They fixed the check error after I added it all up for them, but they didn't seem to concerned about it, or anything else for that matter...