“Surprised” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middleburg
Winchester, Virginia
“Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I have to admit that I was skeptical about this resort. It seemed to me that it didn't really fit in to the location and was a little too slick for this area. However, the incredibly warm staff coupled with an attention to detail created a very nice experience. My small office management staff had a short retreat at the resort, located just about short drive from the DC area. There was ample public space both inside and outside for informal meetings. The resort is very close (walking distance) to Middleburg, so it is very convenient to enjoy meals off-site. We ended with some spa treatments that were very well done. We had a great deal through travelzoo, but I think we will probably return in the future even absent the discounts. While all of the staff were terrific, we were especially pleased by the attention provided by Chelsea at the reception desk and Natalia, the massage therapist. Tips? Go into Middleburg for breakfast (there are plenty of coffee shops), request Natalia for a massage, plan to spend a few hours before or after the spa treatment enjoying the steam room and the outdoor infinity pool, be prepared for some of the resort to close early (the fitness center and all of the pools close about 6), self parking is no problem and close enough that you can drag you bags in if you pack lightly, and go for a short drive over to Hunter's Head in Upperville for a casual dinner and a pint!

Room Tip: We had a ground level terrace room with a nice patio, but it looks like all of the rooms have advant...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
GMatSalamander, General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for that lovely review and your support and confidence in Salamander Resort & Spa. We are so pleased that you and your colleagues were able to enjoy some relaxing time at our spa after all your work was completed. Thank you again for the kind words!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Stayed at the Salamander on August 6 to 8. Very friendly staff from check-in to check-out. The bellman Joey was very friendly and patient and made the effort to learn about me during our walk from the front desk to my room. He then went over the functions of the room which I appreciated. Our stay was brief, but I made maximum use of the spa services and it was so delightful and relaxing that I dozed off in the relaxation room. The spa attendants, especially the attendant who first greets guests in the women's locker room, were very friendly and on the day I was there, August 7th, worked really hard to service all guests with a smile and as quickly as possible even though they were booked back to back. The rooms were very well appointed, however, the terrace level did not have much of a view. When I return, I will definitely reserve a room on the 2nd or third floor. The bathroom amenities were luxurious and I enjoyed the massage shower heads. For those who are horse lovers or equestrians, you will love this horse-themed property. You cannot escape pictures of horses or horse saddles or accessories. If you are a book lover, you will appreciate the quaintness of the library. I had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Book room on a higher floor to get the best view.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for sharing your lovely experience on TripAdvisor. We understand our guests expect incredible service and we are proud to deliver! We look forward to earning your loyalty and welcoming you back soon.
South Riding, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We stayed overnight after a very relaxing day at the spa. It could not have been more enjoyable! We sat by the private pool and had lunch. Our room was spacious and luxurious with a patio overlooking the green.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you come back for another visit soon!
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I'll echo the previous comments about the beauty & luxury of the resort both inside and out. It's a great location for a getaway from DC.

The rooms are spacious and very well appointed, however, there is a major drawback. As noted by a recent commenter, our room had very thin walls and we heard everything in the next room late into the night. In our case, it happened to be teenage kids arguing and cursing (I hear them clear as a bell right now at 2 P.M). I'm not sure how Salamander can overcome such a flaw. This is simply unacceptable for a property that seeks to establish itself as a premier destination.

The fitness, spa facilities are top notch and the common areas within the hotel were thoughtfully designed and comfortably furnished. The family pool area is adequate but does not have the set up service we've enjoyed at other fine resorts. There is a quiet pool but it is only available to spa clientele.

The concierge desk was very responsive when I called in advance of our stay to arrange for flowers to be in our room upon arrival and my wife loved them. Finally, while the service from reception and the bell desk was congenial is took more than one phone try to actually get through in order to have our luggage delivered.

All in all, despite many upsides, I'm not sure I would return due to the thinness of the room walls and potential for an uncomfortable night.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Salamander Resort & Spa. I sincerely apologize for the challenges during your stay. If you would please reach out to me, I would be happy to research the shortfalls you encountered. You can reach me directly via e-mail at gm@salamanderresort.com. I look forward to being of assistance.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Great family retreat. The staff went the extra mile meet our every need. The rooms were luxurious with top of the line bedding and amenities. Public areas were elegant but yet offered the comforts of being in your own home. There were indoor and outdoor activities for all ages. Can't wait to get back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GMatSalamander, General Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at Salamander Resort & Spa. We are so happy that you enjoyed your visit and hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon!
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We booked our rooms with a great deal from Travelzoo which included the rasul treatment at spa and $100 credit. I have to say the resort is finely furnished and the rooms are very new and luxurious. We were here celebrating our 20th anniversary and stayed here for 2 nights during the week (Tues-Thurs) but we did not start off well.
To be honest, the first day, I was 100% sure we booked the wrong place. I expected a quiet getaway which it was later but did not expect a conference with lots of people and a room that I pretty much did not care for its location. Maybe because we purchased through Travelzoo, our room was ground floor overlooking tall grass and that was it. As soon as we drove into the resort, there were shuttle buses for the Acura event that was taking place. We couldn't drive to the front entrance because it was blocked so we parked our car faraway and walked into the resort with our luggage. The greeters were nice and offered to carry our stuff but we declined because I was already disppointed.
When we entered our room, I heard every word and conversation from the next door and immediately, my husband called down to ask for another room but they said it was all booked however, we can pay another $200 to upgrade each night which we passed on it. Later before dinner, we walked by the reception and told them it would be nice if we were moved to another room. They said they couldn't that night but perhaps tomorrow...to make the long story short, they never called and we just decided we will put the TV on so that we would not hear the noise...I was not happy but did not want to spoil our anniversary.

Here is why I gave 4, the accommodations are luxurious (except for the thin wall), the lobby is beautiful so are the grounds. There are 2 firepits outside and chairs to sit on. It is picturesque and I wished we were not on the ground floor overlooking tall grass. Our rasul treatment was the highlight so if I was to go back, I would definitely do the spa again. The staff was wonderful though I understand (from previous reviews) why it is somewhat difficult to book because calls were made back and forth and we were redirected. We did the couples treatment and my husband liked it though he is not the type to do spa stuff. Make sure you take your change of clothes because I didn't know what to expect in there and there is a changing room, shower, spa pool (wished I bought my bathing suit) and all the amenites for you to get yourself ready instead of running back to the room. The shower is awesome and there is also water/tea provided around the areas.

Negatives: The round entrance should not have been blocked with buses. I guess my husband could have tried to enter but it was very narrow and he didn't want to take the chance.We waited 5 min. or so hoping someone would see us and offer to do something...probably because we were parked away but they should not have 3 buses blocking the roundabout.
I asked one guy if it is always busy and he said yes, there is conferences held very often so it was a lot busier than I expected...just seem like a big resort and we were only short-time guests..and nothing more. I had hoped that the reception had tried because I know they could have moved us because they first said they had to speak to their manager but at the same time never got back to us. I would have rated this place a 2 on the first day. Front desk needs to try harder.

Positives: The front door greeters/bellmen were nice. There is one blonde young man who was awfully friendly and of course, the spa was great. Because the weather was perfect we ate our breakfast at Market salamander and the Common ground, had dinner at Red Fox inn, and Goodstone Inn. I prefer the setting of the Goodstone and its food over Red Fox inn. Actually, our experience at Goodstone Inn was so good that I might check into their rooms next time.

Anyway, it was a good experience knowing that we didn't overpay to stay here since we got such a great deal..yes, the room with the noise and lack of view was disappointing so we didn't stay at the resort as we thought we would. We didn't even check out the pool or the walking trail. I didn't want to stay in our room and hear our neighbors conversation nor their kids (hey, I left 3 of mine at home!) so we ventured out to the town which is less than a mile and we shopped and ate there. Middleburg is a quaint town. You can explore it in one day.

Would I recommend this place? Maybe, but ask for a quiet room...we didn't have one and yes, it did matter since it was our 20th anniversary but I didn't want to pay $200 more each night. We had 2 family vacations this summer so it was stretching it. BTW, there is a $25 resort fee for internet. You can self-park, too.
Thank goodness, it ended well...must give credit to the spa or I would have gone home very disappointed!

Room Tip: Get a room with no neighbors
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to share your comments, compliments, and concerns from your recent visit. We have shared your comments with our staff and management team so that we can learn from and improve upon those areas you pointed out to us. We understand that a trip with hiccup after hiccup and not receiving what you had hoped to is frustrating and for that we apologize. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with the extraordinary service and experience we are truly capable of.
NEW JERSEY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Beautiful we had the time of our life celebrating 3 birthdays . From the beginning to the end this resort delivered .. Their was much attention given to every aspect of this resort. We hope to return very soon... The Spa was Amazing! Peaceful .

Stayed August 2014
Thank you, from the entire team at Salamander Resort & Spa. We are delighted you were able to enjoy not only one birthday, but three while you stayed with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the resort very soon!

Been to Salamander Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!