“Beautiful Resort - but still needs a little work” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   500 North Pendleton Street, Middleburg, VA 20117   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middleburg
Oakton, Virginia, United States
“Beautiful Resort - but still needs a little work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This resort is a feast for the eyes. Every visual detail is tasteful and lovely. The general living space, the common rooms, the gym, pools, spa, restaurants, grounds - all beautiful. Every employee is accomodating, gracious and welcoming. We were there for an overnight excursion to celebrate our anniversary. We had inquired if there were hiking trails - and told yes. However there are no maps, and there are no trail markers - yet - hopefully that is coming and they really are the horse trails so watch where you walk. It was an uncomfortable versus a relaxing hike due to that and hearing gun shots and seeing hunters on the next property. So would also suggest they not send guests out - at least during hunting season without some neon orange. We tried to get a couples massage - but unfortunately, and frustratingly could not get in with any masseuse Sat night or Sunday morning. Interestingly - the Goodstone Inn - a competitor down the street - was willing to call in extra help to fit us in, but we declined. Would suggest that they either save appts for hotel guests or STRONGLY advise guests when they book a room to book these services immediately. We did use the general day spa services and the outside hot tub - all very nice. Most annoying thing for me was that when we arrived in the room the message on the TV welcomed my husband but not me. This hotel is owned by a woman - but the welcome was to Mr. Will Smith. I would have even taken a Mr and Mrs Will Smith. So the person that researched and booked the trip was not welcomed. The person at check in confirmed that both our names were on the reservation - so yes they knew. The rooms were some of the nicest we have stayed in - great bedding, slept great. We had dinner at Harrimans - it was OK - will do a separate review on that. And we did have room service for breakfast which excellent and timely. So they have some service issues to work out - but the beauty and relalxation that can be found here is worth it and I would return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Although my visit was short, it was more than memorable. The resort itself is incredible, so many special touches to make it anyone's home away from home. The accommodations are amazing. Definitely put together by a team that has an eye for detail. I enjoyed meals in the wine bar as well has Harriman's and found both to be enjoyable. Everyone was attentive and friendly, from our valet attendant upon arrival, servers, desk clerks, and concierge. I have to say being greeted by Lindsay Boyd, and her continued "out of her way" care throughout my stay needs to be recognized. She is quite an asset to the resort and a joy to be around.
If anyone is looking for the perfect place to get away, I highly recommend The Salamander. You won't regret it.

• Stayed November 2013
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
We hope you can return for a longer visit next time! Thank you for sharing your review.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Sixth visit to the Salamander as a local. Beautiful stunning hotel. Middleburg and surrounding areas has so much to do! Fifth visit. Painful lunch at the Wine Bar. I really think a good logistics person needs to get involved . While they had many managers roaming, they had most of the table being served by one awkward waiter. Everything was 10-15 minutes . It was that long to place beverage order, another 10-15 to order. Once our food came we asked for salt and pepper and some oil and vinegar for the salad. They both came in 15 minutes. By this time my husband had almost finished. Another 15 minutes to get a check and another fifteen minutes to get the card back. Each time we have been we have seen housekeeping lugging trash and laundry through the restaurant. Bizarre. Most of the staff is huddled behind the bar around the computer system . As others, we are desperate to have this place work out. For starters, why don't you provide nice salt and pepper shakers in the bar tables? The funny open containers are nothing more than table salt and bottled ground pepper.

Sixth visit for lunch. Menu much improved . However lunch special sandwich and soup, both had cheese and the onion soup was a sweet bland onion broth. Not good. Dogs walked through by guests and housekeeping lugging laundry right through the dining area once again . High traffic for a restaurant makes for unpleasant dining. Different person brought out our wine 15 minutes after placing beverage order. Asked him if he knew the lunch specials and VERY rudely reprimanded that he was not the waiter . Then watched him proceed to complain to our waiter who then called the situation ridiculous. Terrible to talk openly about your customers within earshot. Seems there should be more of a team spirit . How hard is it to tell all who work in the restaurant what the specials are? Why a different waiter to deliver a glass of wine than the Sparkling Water the waiter brought?

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Please know I have shared your comments with our team and we will incorporate them into our continuous training. We hope you will dine with us again and see our improvement.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Pure relaxation, serene, calm oasis that is only 50 minutes away from Washington DC. Top notch concierge service! Theresa and Julie at the concierge anticipated guest needs from arrival to departure and surely knows what they are doing and it shows that they love what they do!
Had a deep tissue massage with Benita at the spa and she pampering was the highest level possible!
A one on one yoga with Carolyn started the day right and she an amazing yoga instructor!
Harrimans was great! Keith who is very knowledgable about the wine list and menu gave me the best suggestions. The ceasar salad with pickled anchovies was so good! BBQ kobe beef and mascrapone cheesecake was amazing!

I had a pleasure of meeting the President the resort, Mr. Prem Davidas who happen to be around and took the time to say hello while I was dining at Harrimans.

Cana winery is close by, about 5 minutes drive, great view and they have a musician on the weekends.
Walking out from the resort is a little town which has quaint shops and restaurants. Red Fox is a great place to eat around the area.

I surely found my getaway place away from the city and for sure this is only one of the many more visits to come!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing photos and your review. We hope you share some of your images with us on social media too! We are looking forward to having you for your next visit.
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

This resort is GORGEOUS, from the elegant furniture and decor to the beautiful land and location. However, what makes this resort even more gorgeous are the people that run it!

Upon arriving you're greeted outside. We were welcomed by an exceptional man with a genuine, radiant, beaming smile. Every time I saw him he was upbeat and happy the entire day. What a gift!

When entering, there is a lady that greets you at the front desk named Gemma and her name suits her well because she is a true GEM! She is full of love, kindness and true sincerity, kind to every single person that walks thru that door and so hospitable to us and our little two year old.

Every person we encountered working at this resort did such a great job greeting us, smiling, just being sweet and going the extra mile to be kind and show sincere goodness to everyone! We have stayed at lots of nice resorts and are truly amazed by this one!

And only God knows how many times, since this resort's inception, I have said "thank you" to Him for Sheila Johnson creating this resort and having a vision for it! It's wonderful to come and experience it's loveliness and beauty first-hand! I was thrilled when first hearing about the resort because I have a huge passion for spas and this beautiful facility has exceeded my expectations! I'm super excited because it's right down the street from my house! It's the BEST spa around!!! SO THANKFUL!!!

The spa is beyond excellent with it's jacuzzi, phenomenal heated seats, lovely lounge, and the genuine sweetness of the ladies at the front desk and attendants.

My masseur, Marion, was amazing! She was pleasant and is great at what she does! I'm very picky when it comes to my massages, having them regularly every week for years, (sometimes even twice a week before kids :D), I know exactly what I enjoy and need and she definitely exceeded my expectations!

There was a boy named Corey that was beyond helpful and was very considerate. We wouldn't be able to say enough kind words about him. He brought us room service and was just exceptional! I mentioned I loved flowers and he came and dropped a beautiful little bouquet of roses at the room for us! So sweet and generous!

It's nice touches like this that make an experience especially enjoyable! When the beauty of a place is enhanced with the kindness and sincerity and love of the people on staff, then you have one exceptional experience awaiting you! I definitely recommend the Salamander Resort!!! I love this place! Thanks everyone for making our stay wonderful!!

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for the warm words about our newly opened resort! We can't wait to welcome you back.
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Salamander a few weeks ago for a dual celebration (birthday and anniversary). We were hoping for a Four Seasons-like sojourn where the service, staff and location exceeds, or at least equals, our high expectations. We were not disappointed.

'Magical' is how I would describe our visit to the Salamander. First and foremost, all of the staff we encountered were extremely accommodating and although some might have been on the learning curve of things, they were nonetheless tireless in their efforts to assist us, whatever the request or question. Our room was splendid with a view to the serene and lovely grounds overlooking some of the many hiking trails on the property. The bathrooms felt like a spa experience complete with a wonderful soaking tub, large jetted limestone/marble shower stall, dainty and top notch amenities and double marble sinks. They even thought to include a separate make-up table with extra amenities.

If I had one complaint it was of my own failing. The second I walked into our room, my thought was (Darn, and we only booked two nights here!) Due to our early morning flight, unfortunately we couldn't extend our stay.

We dined at Harriman's both for dinner and two breakfasts. The breakfasts were very good (although I prefer a more hearty Scottish oatmeal than the kind they served) and the dinner was equally delicious. I am baffled by some of the other less than stellar reviews, especially for the restaurant. We live in the San Francisco Bay Area so we are accustomed to very fine food and we felt Harriman's was, for the most part, on par. Maybe it's the choice of entrée which make a difference (as it is for most restaurants) but, for us, we thoroughly enjoyed all our meals at the Salamander. And a special thank you to the lovely Lindsay who graciously provided us Prosecco for toasting my birthday and insisted that we have dessert (3 delicious handmade ice cream flavors) on the house.

I know that we'll be back to the Salamander on our next trip back East and this time I won't make the mistake of booking only 2 nights. One could easily stay a week at this place. And if you have a horse, beware, he or she may never want to leave either. Middleburg is also a delightful and charming little village with lots of shops and cutesy restaurants.

Thank you to all the staff (and concierge for the chocolate!) at Salamander for making our celebrations memorable indeed!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your Salamander experience on Trip Advisor. We hope to welcome you back very soon.
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This property is beautiful and very well appointed. However, the service was awful, especially the food. We were double charged for our breakfast, charged the wrong rate for our room, couldn't find anyone to help us turn on the outdoor fireplaces, and, overall, it seemed like more training was needed all around. However, hands down, the major failure was the dinner. Their was no salad on the menu, everything was either over or under seasoned, and in general was trying to do to much. Extremely disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am terrible sorry to hear about service short falls faced during your visit. Please be assured that we are continually training and working to improve our menu lay out and options. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me directly at gm@salamanderresort.com

Been to Salamander Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!