“Inconceivable....” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middleburg
“Inconceivable....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I find it inconceivable that after writing the following letter, I never received a response. I was not going to post here had I received some type of reasonable reply. Tells you a little something about how this organization feels about its clients.

September 23, 2013

Salamander Resort and Spa
500 N. Pendleton Street
Middleburg, VA 20117
Attention: Prem Devadas, President
Salamander Hospitality Group

Dear Mr. Devadas,
I am writing to describe a number of issues that I experienced while staying at the Salamander Resort and Spa in Middleburg Virginia Friday afternoon into Saturday morning – September 20th and 21st. First of all I would like to say that the architecture, finishes, common spaces and grounds are beautiful. That said, I wanted to make you aware of a number of issues, as they were significant enough to put a damper on our stay.
1) My girlfriend made an appointment at the spa on Thursday afternoon for Friday afternoon. The fee came in at $180 for a 50 minute session. I called and left a voicemail message for the director of the Spa to provide some insight as to why it was significantly above the $130 for a weekday treatment. I never received a return phone call.
2) We made dinner reservations at Harrimans for Friday evening. Again the space was very nice, but the service was lacking. Our appetizer came out as scheduled and was good. We waited for approximately 1 hour for our main courses, asked 2 times along the way how things were coming, and then at the hour mark were notified that the kitchen had lost our order. We were assured that the meal would be coming quickly. After another 15 minutes I requested that the check be brought and that we were no longer interested in waiting any further for our meal. The waiter asked that we wait yet another few minutes. One order was brought and the other took another 10 minutes. We were very disappointed, and were offered nothing in return but a full price check for the experience.
3) Upon departing the resort, we waited for 15-20 minutes for the return valet of our two cars. First a car was brought that was not mine. Then they could not find the keys for my car nor my girlfriends. We finally demanded that we have the opportunity to view the key locker for ourselves. Mine was nowhere to be found. My girlfriend found her keys, took them, and walked to the parking lot to find her own car. My car was finally found and delivered to me. Frankly it was utter chaos. Fortunately we were the only ones waiting for cars. An apology was made, but the frustration we experienced far outweighed the “convenience” of valeting.
4) A minor issue, but one that was pretty annoying. Two or three times during our stay we encountered the cleaning staff in the hallway as they were pushing carts. They were very pleasant, but we found that they just kept on going as we tried to unsuccessfully pass and get to the elevator or room.
We have had the opportunity to stay in a fair number of high end resorts in the world. I have always had great experiences and great service. I had hoped for a much better experience at Salamander in Middleburg and did not receive it. There were some very accommodating staff/personnel; however, I will likely not be visiting again until I hear that the service has improved. Judging from the comments of a number of other guests with whom we spoke, they too had reservations about returning due to similar inconveniences. I regret to say that after spending $1,000 for a one night stay, I think I can make my dollar go further elsewhere without the frustrations and poor staff service. Disappointing, as I was hoping for a regular getaway here in Northern Virginia.
Regards,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share about your recent visit. While we are in our infancy, there is no excuse for the shortcomings you faced and for that, we sincerely apologize. We pride ourselves on providing the best service to all of our guests and we fell short during your visit. Our goal is to always provide an environment where our guests can relax, receive extraordinary service and achieve a level of wellness. We have shared your comments with our staff to learn from and improve upon. We understand that a trip with hiccup after hiccup and not receiving what you had hoped to is frustrating and we would like to make it up to you. We sincerely apologize for the experience you had and the lack of response and hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with the extraordinary service and experience we are truly capable of. Please note that Prem never received that letter as it was mailed to the incorrect address. If you would still like to discuss matters with someone please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will connect you. chover@salamanderhotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I am not sure where to begin. From the moment we pulled into the resort with our young Son, my family and I were treated with the service, hospitality and class of a truly world class hotel. From the lunch we had in the lounge area, to the SPA treatment my wife had, to the the AMAZING dinner at Harriman's and then my after dinner drinks and cigar at the outside fire pit, the Salamander delivers. The grounds of the resort stunning, but what makes the resort a true gem is the very well trained and professional staff who have come from 5 star properties around the world. We highly recommend the hotel to everyone who is looking for an amazing getaway and if your kids are in tow, you must take them over to see the horses and ponies...What a real treat!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
We are so pleased you and your family enjoyed all the resort has to offer, from dinning and enjoying the firepits to meeting the ponies or getting a massage! Thank you for sharing your fabulous experience and we hope to welcome you all back very soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I had my second lunch and spa experience at Salamander today and it could not have been more wonderful. My first visit was on September 4th with my husband and we were impressed and really pleased then. The spa is everything that
I want a spa to be, not garish but rather beautifully appointed, tranquil, serene and well equipped, every where you look it is so tastefully done. Today's visit was such a treat because though it was late October we were able to relax outside near the pool area and enjoy the cabanas.
The interior relaxation area room with the inviting off-white chaise style lounge and fireplace is a great place to unwind before your services even begin, I hated to leave for my massage but was glad I did once my much needed massage started. Regarding lunch I wasn't sure what to expect since I had read a few negative reviews but what a treat. There were four if us for lunch and we ordered a variety of items. The service was very attentive and the presentation of our food was picture perfect (one of my friends literally photographed everyone's food). I ordered the dry aged burger, a salad, a sorbet assortment and the freshly made beignets and it was all delicious. My lunch mates were all happy with their choices and we lingered longer than usual enjoying the surroundings before we headed to our spa appointments. What a delightful day, that was simply wonderful, we all agreed that Salamander will become one of our regular spots!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
We are so excited to have welcomed you back a second time! Thank you for sharing such a lovely review, if you just can't get enough feel free to share photos or keep up with us on Facebook and Twitter @SalamanderVA! We're looking forward to welcoming you back!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had dinner at Harriman's Restaurant at the resort but was not an overnight guest. This review is for the restaurant only: The service is terrible. The food is mediocre and overpriced. The bartender could not make a simple drink. Skip this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, needless to say we wish it had been a much more positive one. I'd be very interested to hear specifics about your dinner as we are always looking to improve and satisfy our guests. Please feel free to email me at gm@salamanderresort.com.
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Wow! Absolutely beautiful! We sampled fantastic appetizers and wine in the Gold Cup bar and fabulous cuisine in Harriman's dining room and the service throughout the resort was top notch. We timed our visit perfectly as the inaugural Middleburg Film Festival was in full swing and we were able to take in a fine film and do some great people-watching as the charming little town of Middleburg was full of activity. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor, we are so glad to hear you all enjoyed your stay, the Film Festival and all of our dinning options.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from a perfect girls weekend. We spent plenty of time in the Gold Cup wine bar and had amazing and friendly service every time. Such a warm and inviting place to spend time with friends. We ended our weekend with dinner in Harriman's. WOW! We ordered several appetizers, entree's and sides to pass around. So delicious and our server never missed a beat. I'm looking forward to another trip to The Salamander... This time with my husband.

On a side note, Middleburg, VA is a great little town. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2013
You all sound like such a fun group! We are honored that you chose to have your girls weekend with us. We hope you come back soon and can introduce your husband to the property.
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend here to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversay. We had a lovely experience all around. Check in went smoothly -- they actually upgraded us to a suite in honor of our anniversary and sent champagne and chocolates (complimentary) to our room. Very nice touch. Staff was very friendly, attentive, and accommodating. We especially enjoyed Carlo in the Gold Cup Lounge -- excellent resort employee and manager. The spa is amazing -- we had a couples massage in a private room that included use of an outdoor jacuzzi tub -- loved it and recommend Benita as a massage therapist. Beds are very comfortable and the rooms are well appointed. Private shuttle service is available into Middleburg upon request -- we used this service once and our driver even refused to be tipped. We sat out by the fire pit on the Grand Lawn in the evenings. Enjoyed that very much with a cocktail in hand. The equestrian center is lovely and well done -- we do not ride, but enjoyed walking through and visiting with the horses and the barn cats. :) No complaints at all. Will definitely stay again in the future. The town of Middleburg is very quaint -- we ate at the Market Salamander and the Red Fox Inn. Would recommend both. I think any of the "quirks" that may have occurred early on upon opening have been worked out.

Room Tip: Suite on the first level is nice as you have your own outdoor seating area and direct access to the...