I find it inconceivable that after writing the following letter, I never received a response. I was not going to post here had I received some type of reasonable reply. Tells you a little something about how this organization feels about its clients.
September 23, 2013
Salamander Resort and Spa
500 N. Pendleton Street
Middleburg, VA 20117
Attention: Prem Devadas, President
Salamander Hospitality Group
Dear Mr. Devadas,
I am writing to describe a number of issues that I experienced while staying at the Salamander Resort and Spa in Middleburg Virginia Friday afternoon into Saturday morning – September 20th and 21st. First of all I would like to say that the architecture, finishes, common spaces and grounds are beautiful. That said, I wanted to make you aware of a number of issues, as they were significant enough to put a damper on our stay.
1) My girlfriend made an appointment at the spa on Thursday afternoon for Friday afternoon. The fee came in at $180 for a 50 minute session. I called and left a voicemail message for the director of the Spa to provide some insight as to why it was significantly above the $130 for a weekday treatment. I never received a return phone call.
2) We made dinner reservations at Harrimans for Friday evening. Again the space was very nice, but the service was lacking. Our appetizer came out as scheduled and was good. We waited for approximately 1 hour for our main courses, asked 2 times along the way how things were coming, and then at the hour mark were notified that the kitchen had lost our order. We were assured that the meal would be coming quickly. After another 15 minutes I requested that the check be brought and that we were no longer interested in waiting any further for our meal. The waiter asked that we wait yet another few minutes. One order was brought and the other took another 10 minutes. We were very disappointed, and were offered nothing in return but a full price check for the experience.
3) Upon departing the resort, we waited for 15-20 minutes for the return valet of our two cars. First a car was brought that was not mine. Then they could not find the keys for my car nor my girlfriends. We finally demanded that we have the opportunity to view the key locker for ourselves. Mine was nowhere to be found. My girlfriend found her keys, took them, and walked to the parking lot to find her own car. My car was finally found and delivered to me. Frankly it was utter chaos. Fortunately we were the only ones waiting for cars. An apology was made, but the frustration we experienced far outweighed the “convenience” of valeting.
4) A minor issue, but one that was pretty annoying. Two or three times during our stay we encountered the cleaning staff in the hallway as they were pushing carts. They were very pleasant, but we found that they just kept on going as we tried to unsuccessfully pass and get to the elevator or room.
We have had the opportunity to stay in a fair number of high end resorts in the world. I have always had great experiences and great service. I had hoped for a much better experience at Salamander in Middleburg and did not receive it. There were some very accommodating staff/personnel; however, I will likely not be visiting again until I hear that the service has improved. Judging from the comments of a number of other guests with whom we spoke, they too had reservations about returning due to similar inconveniences. I regret to say that after spending $1,000 for a one night stay, I think I can make my dollar go further elsewhere without the frustrations and poor staff service. Disappointing, as I was hoping for a regular getaway here in Northern Virginia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Salamander Resort & Spa offers the refined sophistication of a luxurious country estate in the Virginia's exclusive horse and wine country, just 40 miles from Washington, D.C. This luxury Virginia getaway brings together today’s sought after key elements of time-saving accessibility, authenticity of cultural and historical experiences, unique culinary and wine programming, and an innovative spa and wellness concept.Just 35 minutes from Dulles Airport, the 340-acre resort is located within the historic village of Middleburg, VA, which houses more than 100 unique shops, restaurants, surrounding wineries and equestrian fields and provides the backdrop for one-of-a-kind leisure and group stays as well as spectacular wedding and social events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Salamander Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.