“Weekend with the girls!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Endless Summer Nights
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Middleburg
Front Royal, Virginia, United States
“Weekend with the girls!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

A group of about 5 girls went to Salamander Resort and Spa in the amazing town of Middleburg for a ladies gathering! We had drinks in the Gold Cup bar, service was fantastic, great atmosphere and decorated so well, we really had a great time. We also went to Dinner at Harrimans: Virginia Piedmont Grill, we had a fabulous server who answered all out crazy questions, I started out with the Carmelized Vidialia Onion Soup, which took my breath away it was so good, then I ordered the Certified angus Beef rib eye for my entree, it was cooked to perfection, I could not have been more pleased with my meal. Plenty of space at the tables for jackets, purses and such. The entire wait staff made us feel like we were the only ones dining that night. The Chef came out and said hello which was a real treat. We look forward to our next trip back very soon!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
We are so excited to hear that you and the girls enjoyed your visit and drinks in Gold Cup Wine Bar! We can't wait to welcome you back.

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Bluemont, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I'm a local and wanted to wait until the opening hoopla died down a bit before trying out the new Salamander Resort. I checked it out this weekend with a group of girlfriends & was surprised at how fantastic the experience we had at Harriman's was. I've heard mixed reviews from a few people, but we had nothing but doting service and delectable dishes from the Harriman's staff. We had rounds of wine that we all loved, suggested by their sommelier, that didn't break the bank. We dabbled in a little bit of everything on the menu but the highlights for me were the Chesapeake oysters on the half shell (super clean & the toppings were unique & very complimentary to the oysters), Salamander mac & cheese (dreaming about this, cannot describe in words), Strip Steak (perfectly seared for a crisp top with a warm juicy red center & the reduction sauce over it was divine) and the Stilton Cheese Tater Tots (I mean, seriously??!). I also had bites of my friend's pork chop which was nice and tender & onion soup which I wish I had gotten. Now I'm not a big dessert person but we also tried the garlic beignets which were pretty good and the 10 layer chocolate cake with bacon ice cream. I'm not a big fan of the whole chocolate dipped bacon fad but having the perfect bit of cake and bacon ice cream was amazing.

Highly recommend checking out Harriman's if you want a really significant dinner. I've been to the Yappy Hour at the resort once as well & that is a fun casual way to experience the hotel without feeling like you need to put on heirs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review. I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed Harrimans, especially the oysters! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is a review of a Sunday afternoon lunch at the Gold Cup Wine Bar. TA does not seem to have a separate listing for the restaurants at Salamander.

Despite the recent sub-par Washington Post reviews of the resort and dining, we drove out for a look-see and lunch on a Sunday afternoon in late October. This was about a month after the resort opened and a few weeks after the Post reviewers' visits, and I am happy to say things seem to be shaping up.

First--Getting There! Google Maps takes you on a right turn from Rt. 50 in Middleburg onto Madison and then has you looking to turn left on "Salamander Lane." Well, turns out that is the large entry marked "Service Entry/Equestrian Center." We drove past, looking for Salamander Lane, stopped,called, turned around and went in the service road. Leaving, we discovered the FRONT entrance is a block farther on Rt. 50, turning right just past the low-key Safeway on N Pendleton Street. No biggie, but the town reportedly has been hostile to the idea of Salamander for years (it took forever to get the permissions to open) and it is amazing they do not allow a sign). We self-parked.

Salamander is very welcoming, including if you just want to look around. Clearly, they hope to attract "locals" and day-trippers and it is true that honey, not vinegar, encourages patronage and repeat visits.

The Gold Cup is attractive and service was quite good. The wine list by the glass (I understand there is a bottle list also) and wine-food pairings looked imaginative and well-chosen. What we liked is that there are indeed some VA wines, but only good ones. VA wines are still a mixed bag.

I had a flight of sparkling wines (which tended to the fruitier, as do some newbies to wines, and VA wineries are very aware of this) and the burger. My husband had the ham sandwich and the same wine choice. For dessert he had the cheesecake and I had a glass of the VA sparkler. The dessert was the star, but the sandwiches were very good and the fries were excellent. Total including tip was just under $100.

After lunch we walked on some of the trails on the property. It was very pleasant and I can see us coming back. Maybe even come for Thanksgiving in 2014 and stay the night....hopefully Harrimans (dinner place) will be in full gear by then.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed Gold Cup Wine Bar and some of our properties trails. We apologize that the GPS directed you through our service entrance. We have contacted Google and Bing to have the corrected. We would love for you to spend next Thanksgiving with us too!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I decided to take a weekend getaway to this resort and we were very pleased with the resort, despite the negative reviews. When getting to the resort, we were greeted by the door men and were escorted inside to the front desk. I was wowed by the living room and library - very tasteful done. We got checked in, and the front desk staff was nothing but 5 star. Once arriving to our room, it was very nice and the bed slept very well. My favorite part of the whole trip was enjoying the patio area off the living room and library. I could sit out there all weekend and enjoy my coffee/wine listening to nature. It was a little overcast while we were there, but all and all it was great.
We did make our way to Gold Cup for lunch and we were greeted with a great smile and friendly service by Sarah. She was great at answering our questions and advising wines for us to try. The service was great and the food was perfect. We tried several appetizers and my husband had the burger and I had a salad. All and all the food and service I felt was 5 star. The setting was great and we enjoyed out seats by the fireplace.
I also enjoyed visiting the horse stables and being able to give treats to the horses, I loved the fire pits and lawn game. We also walked out to the horse barn, which I later asked the staff about and I understand it's being dated and will eventually be turned into fine dining. What an awesome idea - I would definitely come back for a special occasion and do that!
All and all my husband and I were very pleased with resort and have recommend it to our family and friends. Perfect weekend getaway. Next time I visit, I will definitely take the time to enjoy the spa and all it has to offer.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Robyn, Thank you very so much for sharing your experience with us. I too love the patio and library and often find that it's the most peaceful place on property. We are excited to hear that you were able to try so many different things while visiting and we look forward to welcoming you and your husband back so you can explore even more!
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

As a person born and raised in the Middleburg area I take pride in the history, the culture and the people so I expect the businesses to reflect this sense of refined hospitality and class. However, my recent visit to the Salamander Resort & Spa was the epitome unrefined service and doing whatever it takes to take the most from the customer.

As part of a birthday present for my father my family decided to take him to brunch at the resort before heading to some wineries later in the day. We briefly walked around the grounds and then proceeded to sit down at the Gold Cup Wine Bar. We were immediately welcomed and given menus, a few minutes later we put in an order for some wine flights, water and appetizers to share with the table. As they began bringing out the drinks one of the waitresses spilled an entire glass of water on my mother soaking her in her dress from head to toe. Immediately, they set into panic mode and tried to get some napkins but when you look like you just got out of the pool napkins aren't the solution. One of the managers came out and told us they would take care of her meal and anything else she needed while we were there. Following the incident it took nearly 2 hours to get our 7 appetizer plates, drinks and more water as the staff was very complacent and inattentive.

As I walked my mother around the grounds to help her dry off I came back to bill to find out that to add insult to injury they took of the two cheapest plates at $5 and $6 and a single flight of wine worth $15 for bill over $200 dollars. When I saw this I immediately got the attention of the wine bar manager who apologized for poor service and said he would offer us a bottle of wine to have to help make things right. I told him we had a tight schedule to keep and gave him my business card and asked him to contact me directly with that they are willing to do for the horrible service and insult of saying they would take of my mother after soaking her and that I would be looking for the email. I was told I would receive it within 24 hours.

As a person who has traveled around the world for both business and leisure I always try to give the benefit of the doubt to a business to redeem themselves for providing a poor product or service. I waited a week before hearing nothing from the bar manager. At this point I called the resort and was directed to another manager and explained the situation and asked what they would do to correct the experience. I was immediately apologized to and was told they would do whatever they needed to do to make things right and they asked for my contact information and said they would contact me again within 24 hours. Yet again, no call was received and I tried a third time by calling resort, was handed off to yet another manager who then forwarded me to the general managers voicemail.

To this day I still have not heard from the resort, it is blatantly apparent they do not empower their managers to make things right for the customer and that at the end of the day the resort is all about making money. The fact that they claim to be a 5 star luxury resort yet I cannot get a phone call back reveals their lack of commitment to their customers and shows their true intentions. There are many other great places in the Middleburg area that I would recommend to stay and eat and can only say that this resort has not made Middleburg a better place and I'm sorry to anyone who was looking forward to going, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share about your recent visit, I am sincerely sorry for the lack of follow up and communication you encountered. Please be assured that is not our standard. We pride ourselves on providing the best service to all of our guests and we fell short during and after your visit. I have shared your comments with our staff to learn from and improve upon and would like to opportunity to directly reach out and make this up to you. We sincerely apologize for the experience you had and hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with the extraordinary service and experience we are truly capable of. Please know that we take your comments and review seriously, and while we cannot reverse your experience it would be my absolute pleasure to rectify this situation; my contact information is chover@salamanderhotels.com.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I tagged along with my husband on a business trip, prior to going we were excited to learn pets are welcomed. So we took our 18 pound terrier. Upon arrival, the staff was very friendly to us and our dog. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful sitting area, which my dog and I went through to sit on the patio to wait for my husband to check in. On the patio area there were dog bowls, and the furniture and the landscape was beautiful. On the massive lawn there were two sitting areas with fire pits which was very nice to keep you comfortable. One morning in fact I sat out there with my dog and had a bowl of delicious oatmeal and coffee. Once we arrived to our room we were happy to see a huge doggie bed, two bowls, treats and a toy for our dog. They even provided us with a crate upon my request. The room was well furnished for us as well, the bathroom was fabulous! Complete with TV and old fashion soaking tub. Because I had the dog, I did not get an opportunity to enjoy the spa, but I did get to go their state of the art fitness center. It is a very nice size, with enough equipment. They also offer classes (Pilates and yoga) as well.

During my 3 day stay the staff was very accommodating, especially concierge: Julia and activity coordinator - Jackie. Once you go in to town however I got the impression that the folks in Middleburg are not as happy to see a resort in their neighborhood. But the shops and taverns were charming, many of which had water bowls at their door.

The reason I did not give it five stars maybe the result of the resort being brand new. But I found the room service and restaurant menus not having enough variety, but what I had was good, and there was only one gift store and no place to get last minute items, however there is a grocery store in walking distance. Also, I had hope they had staff on premise that I could leave my dog with while i go to spa or a round of golf. They did offer a company that would come and sit with your dog for $40.00/hour. This same company "one of kind k9" also hosted a Waggy Hour which was fun, but I would have liked it better if other guests were there with dogs, instead the other dogs were folks from the neighborhood that all seem to know each other.

All and all it was a fun trip and look forward to going at least one more time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your pet-friendly experience with us! We are so pleased you were able to attend leashes on the lawn ( Yappy Hour) and that you and your terrier enjoyed walking the grounds. We hope to welcome you back very soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Last Wednesday night we stayed at the Salamander for a special occasion. The Resort is beautiful, and Harriman’s Restaurant was excellent.

However, I would not recommend an overnight stay. While the rooms are nicely appointed, our room had a number of issues. First was the infestation of stink bugs. It only took me a few minutes after arriving to see them on the curtains and drapes, furniture, ceiling, and in the fireplace. We had to call the front desk twice and wait a half an hour before someone from housekeeping came to the room. The housekeeper was very helpful and spent a considerable amount of time getting rid of them. The front desk told us it was the season for stink bugs. Since the hotel knew it was “the season” and the bugs an issue, wouldn’t it have made sense to inspect a room before a guest checked in, especially when the guest was paying over $500 a night?

In addition to the stink bugs, the Internet didn't respond. After being frustrated and giving up, it froze and was difficult to even log off. Much like the Internet, the television reception did not work. There was no picture, and if you found a channel with a picture, it would freeze after about 5 minutes and disappear. To top things off, the toilet did not flush properly and backed up. By then, it was time to go…..

When checking out, I was not asked how our stay was. So, I provided my feedback which didn't get much of a response. As a follow up, I sent an email to the hotel manager, but it hasn't been acknowledged.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Salamander Resort & Spa. I sincerely apologize for the challenges during your stay. If you would please reach out to me, I would be happy to research the shortfalls you encountered. You can reach me directly via e-mail at gm@salamanderresort.com. I look forward to being of assistance.

Been to Salamander Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!