“Brunch at Harrimans” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middleburg
Ashburn, Virginia
“Brunch at Harrimans”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Celebrated my mother in laws 70th birthday with a brunch at Harrimans. From the moment we arrived, the staff was top notch and took care of us. Seated at a beautiful window seat overlooking the fields, we were shown a menu of three courses highlighted for me by fresh melon featuring pickled watermelon, BBQ shrimp and grits and for dessert a sweet garlic beignet. Endless bloody mary's, champagne and mimosa's only made it better. Everything was just top notch. The kicker for us was that we had two children with us and in most upscale food experiences kids dont quite go over well. The folks at Salamander and Harrimans welcomed them and made us feel like one of the family. Thank you so much for scoring me some points with my mother in law!! Can't wait to be back

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share this! We are so pleased we helped to score brownie points with your mother in law! Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was not an overnight guest at the Salamander and can't give a review of the rooms and accommodations however, the property is to die for!!!!! My visit to the Salamander was for dinner in the so called fine dining restaurant Harrimans. The restaurant is an architectural marvel and the food and service was a disaster of epic proportions. If you're looking for below standard in food preparation at a potential 5 star Resort & Spa Harrimans restaurant is the place to go. I'm hopeful that the situation at Harrimans restaurant will improve so that future guest can experience an up-and-coming 5 Star Resort & Spa in the great state of Virginia.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mark,

As the Chef de Cuisine at Harrimans, I appreciate your feedback, greatly. And I appreciate the opportunity you have given us to correct the mistakes that we made during your dining experience. Unfortunately, we failed to deliver what you had expected when you made your reservation to dine with us. I sincerely apologize for your overall dissatisfaction with the event. Our mistakes were unacceptable, and I am humbled by your observations. I expect every meal we serve to be excellent, and served gracefully. We are an ever evolving restaurant, and I remain confident in the dishes we prepare, but I also recognize that we sometimes miss the mark, as shown by your experience. I can only hope that you would be willing to give us another chance, either on your own time, or as my personal guests. Please feel free to make the reservation by calling me or emailing me directly. Thank you for this opportunity.

Chris Edwards
Chef de Cuisine
cedwards@salamanderresort.com
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Its new, it’s beautiful, and it’s spacious. The rooms are large and appointed with some of the best finishes I have seen.
The fire place was so romantic and cozy. The balcony was a great place to sit and relax enjoying some wine and the view...The grounds are amazing...the spa is the best... the food is fantastic...
The Recreation Director (above and beyond in her efforts to grant all our wishes-I’d swear she had a magic wand), the concierge (attentive and willing to make it happen), and the rest of the staff are the most professional and friendly you will find. The valet staff (please reward those who are actually willing to run to your car and start the heater and clear the windows of the morning frost. I normally have to wait for a valet at any other location to walk to return with our vehicle and these great young men would run.
The Recreation Director was able to arrange an amazing Off Road Adventure with military driving instructors (Seals, Rangers, Delta Force, to name a few) who took my wife and me out and taught us how to handle a large all wheel drive vehicle in the most difficult of situations. Needless to say just because it has the word Spa in the name doesn’t mean the guys will be bored...they have a pool table and four large screen TV’s with sports on in the bar area. They have many activities such as yoga classes, trail rides (I strongly suggest the two hour ride which includes riding lessons).
The beds are like clouds, the large tubes and showers were perfect for those post adventure soaks. I will return. The special touches and the amenities made this one of the best anniversaries ever.
I would recommend this location for even a night out for dinner, or a spa day or riding lessons.

Room Tip: They accept dogs. All the rooms are great. could not hear anyone the whole time we were there.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you, from the entire team at Salamander Resort & Spa. Our passion is hospitality and service and to hear from a guest that had an experience like you did makes our week! We are so happy you explored all of the activities we have to offer. We want to thank you for taking the time to share about your visit on Trip Advisor. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the resort very shortly!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed recently for our 10 year anniversary and were treated as if we were royalty! While we were concerned about some of the service reviews, and experienced a few of them while there (a little slow on service in Harrimans and a scheduling snafu for a spa treatment), all the other experiences were outstanding. The place is beyond exquisite - grounds, architecture, rooms. There is a greeter, Manager or other employee at every turn to ensure you are getting everything you need. Niall at the bar is top notch and remembered our name after just one visit. And finally, the spa - over the top luxury. We would suggest a couples Rasul experience, which will be one of the most memorable of anything we have done together in10 years. So - be a little patient with any start up issues, as the team will immediately fix anything, and relax and enjoy what has new created here.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you, from the entire team at Salamander Resort & Spa. Happy Anniversary to both you and your wife - I've shared your comment about the rasul experience with our spa team! We want all of our guests to feel like they are royalty and exceed every service expectation. We want to thank you for taking the time to share about your visit on Trip Advisor. We are looking forward to welcoming you both back to the resort very soon!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I rarely write reviews or do online chats, but I feel compelled to write about the brand new Salamander Hotel (resort) in Middleburg, VA, which will become a destination place for us without question. I started writing this when we first returned from our visit on the opening weekend of the resort -but didn’t have a chance to send it in earlier. When I went on this site to send my review, I was so turned off by a few of the petty comments regarding the opening weekend glitches and so this review got a lot longer, as I was resigned to explain in detail the stunning beauty and personalized touches of this very welcome addition to the Mid-Atlantic. Long anticipating this opening, which was well publicized online, I was anxious to see if the DC area could finally welcome a luxury resort with the amenities that pamper and rejuvenate those of us who lead stressful professional lives. Salamander exceeded all of my expectations, and it was nice to experience its inaugural night/weekend, which worked perfectly with our end-of-the summer schedule. While I am not a horse person, the horse country theme and “unpretentious grandeur” of this huge (300+ acre) resort provided a wonderful sense of calm, reminiscent of a world where grace and patience were exalted and nature was embraced as essential and not simply contextual. From the vast, tree-laden landscape, to the backdrop of horses being walked out of the barn for a morning trot, to the rolling grassy fields as pleasing to the eyes as to one’s bare feet, to the starry night sky on a par with those of our favorite Caribbean spots, we couldn’t believe we were so close to home as we took it all in. Inside the resort, tremendous art and historical homages adorned the generous hallways and beautiful, stately, yet understated, common rooms one imagines in an old world estate, renovated and updated to please newer generations –including a library, billiards room, grand parlor, ballroom, etc. Of particular note for us were the brilliantly appointed, spacious bedrooms –and bathrooms- the sumptuous bed linens and canopied beds, the fireplace in the room, the wonderful array of spa services (I was not surprised to learn that my masseuse was a transplant from the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in DC –one of my very favorites) and great meals the whole weekend. And how nice it was that many meals boasted fresh fruits and vegetables from the resort’s onsite garden, which is visible from one of the back terraces. I was forced to rethink my diet momentarily, when I tasted my friend’s delectable vegan offerings on several occasions throughout the weekend, especially the soy (I think) “scrambled eggs”, the vegan chocolate croissants, and the tasty tempeh sausage. The entire staff throughout the hotel jumped to satisfy our every request, with a smile and an old-fashioned “yes, m’am” and, while the service during the busier meals was a bit slow, we were hard-pressed to complain, as we settled into civility and enjoyed a nice sparkling wine, which the waiter recommended, and, at least once, indulged in an endemic “Virginia Julep” cocktail made with VA bourbon and fresh mint leaves from the resort garden. We enjoyed exquisitely-prepared dishes that delighted our palates without fail all weekend (among them, striped bass and sea scallop selections and freshly-baked beignets better than any on the planet, including NOLA). We were able to chat with the chef twice and were tickled to discover he was none other than Todd Gray of DC’s Equinox Restaurant (would not have recognized him but for his name tag)…….For us, the many comfortable seating areas throughout the grounds where we could just sit and enjoy the countryside were also quite special, as were the thoughtful details of the evening “turn-downs”. The low-key (pardon), tasteful musical backdrop all weekend, including the lovely pianist in the drawing room, added to the disarmingly warm elegance of what we have ordained our “eastcoast Shangri-La”. We are gleeful to now have an alternative to the predictably bland, high-end chain hotels we often settle for when a getaway is needed - at a competitive, reasonable for the product, cost. We have yet to fully savor all that the new Salamander Resort in the charming town of Middleburg has to offer -including the local boutique shopping and the hiking trails at the resort. The two and a half days we spent there at the end of August left us wanting more. I vow to return as the trees turn color this fall. Maybe I’ll even write another review then. Writing this was a nice way to memorialize this special last weekend of our summer!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Wow! What an incredible review. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share in great detail the fabulous experience you had at Salamander Resort. Your attention to detail and appreciation for our amenities and local touches makes our day! With a personal as well traveled as we are sure you are it really does mean a lot to hear how much you enjoyed our dining, spa, equestrian, activities etc. We would be honored to welcome you back very soon, ( the leaves will start to turn colors shortly!) Thank you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a nice lunch at the Gold Cup Wine Bar, intriguing menu with unusual dishes reflecting many influences, with really nice hunt country atmosphere, gift shop, library lounge, and plenty of windows to enjoy the countryside which was beautifully sunny for us. After lunch we took a peek at the spa, at the Harriman Restaurant, culinary garden and stables in a field nearby. It is possible for guests to stroll into the town a mile away, which has plenty to explore. The staff was particularly cheerful and helpful, and there were plenty of guests enjoying themselves. The Wine Bar's wait staff was a little slow, but will certainly get their stride in a few months.

Room Tip: Let them know if you want a king bed or a queen.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
We thank you for taking time to share your comments and excitement regarding your recent visit to Salamander Resort and Gold Cup Wine Bar. We hope you are able to come back for a visit soon!
Bethesda, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My review is based on total experience, quality control and their response to damage control. As a business woman with a very successful business that is based on quality control, this resort scored an F in terms of bottom line. It is all about the details, perfection is in the details, and a hotel that charges a 5 star price, offering a one star customer service is NOT acceptable, SORRY.
I always travel somewhere for my birthday and mostly travel outside the country. I know that USA is lacking in overall hospitality business but I have stayed in many USA hotels and have received excellent service and attention.
First let me start by saying that I was very excited in going to this resort, I have never ridden a horse and did the first time on my birthday. I feel more horrible because I was the one that insisted to my hubby that I really wanted to go to this resort.
Once we got to the resort, I was impressed with the feel of the hotel and the look
The property is a gorgeous I absolutely fell in love with the room and restroom. They were nicely furnished.
That’s as good as it gets and it starts to go downhill.
1) First, once we settled into our room, I realized that we do not have bath/ shower gel and slippers and we had to call for that, then they brought the shower gel but told us they ran out of the slippers, okay? I said.
2) They called us to reschedule the time of oOnur dinner reservation my hubby made over a week. Mind you, My husband spoke to a human and specifically told them that we are there for my birthday, he told everyone that could hear… from the horse ride booking to massage, to my actual birthday dinner! We were like okay, not such a big deal to move our dinner from 7pm to 8:30pm
3) A night before my birthday, we had quick dinner at the bar and the drink that was served to me had bug in it, really?? Please check people’s drink before offering it to them.
4) On my birthday, I started with massage. The therapist had no knowledge of my birthday, really? I honestly not looking for attention but I feel like he should have been told. When I stayed at Trumps Hotel in Miami for my birthday last two years, om the massage therapist to the aesthetician acknowledged it. The therapist was great, one of my best massage ever but unfortunately he alone can’t make me come back.
During horse riding, none of the staff mentioned about my birthday. The lady was asking, I heard it’s someone birthday, how hard is it to communicate and know who the person is, after all we use our names when booking appointment and it’s only four of us doing horse ride.
My dinner nightmare: We got to our dinner reservation and were told they do not have availability and we had to wait for 15 to 20 minutes. We finally got a table. During the en tire dinner, NO ONE mentioned about my birthday.
My husband decided to give them our feedback and of coarse, they brought me some cupcakes and piece of note like seriously? I expected them to give us some discount or something. Horrible damage control.
On the day we checked out, we received a letter reminding me of my massage appointment which was so clumsy.
Unfortunately, I will not be visiting this place again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Salamander Resort & Spa. I sincerely apologize for the challenges during your stay. If you would please reach out to me, I would be happy to research the shortfalls you encountered. You can reach me directly via e-mail at chover@salamanderhotels.com. I look forward to being of assistance.

Been to Salamander Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!