“Very impressed with Salamander Resort so far!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Resort   |   500 North Pendleton Street, Middleburg, VA 20117   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middleburg
New York City, New York
“Very impressed with Salamander Resort so far!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I rarely write reviews or do online chats, but I feel compelled to write about the brand new Salamander Hotel (resort) in Middleburg, VA, which will become a destination place for us without question. I started writing this when we first returned from our visit on the opening weekend of the resort -but didn’t have a chance to send it in earlier. When I went on this site to send my review, I was so turned off by a few of the petty comments regarding the opening weekend glitches and so this review got a lot longer, as I was resigned to explain in detail the stunning beauty and personalized touches of this very welcome addition to the Mid-Atlantic. Long anticipating this opening, which was well publicized online, I was anxious to see if the DC area could finally welcome a luxury resort with the amenities that pamper and rejuvenate those of us who lead stressful professional lives. Salamander exceeded all of my expectations, and it was nice to experience its inaugural night/weekend, which worked perfectly with our end-of-the summer schedule. While I am not a horse person, the horse country theme and “unpretentious grandeur” of this huge (300+ acre) resort provided a wonderful sense of calm, reminiscent of a world where grace and patience were exalted and nature was embraced as essential and not simply contextual. From the vast, tree-laden landscape, to the backdrop of horses being walked out of the barn for a morning trot, to the rolling grassy fields as pleasing to the eyes as to one’s bare feet, to the starry night sky on a par with those of our favorite Caribbean spots, we couldn’t believe we were so close to home as we took it all in. Inside the resort, tremendous art and historical homages adorned the generous hallways and beautiful, stately, yet understated, common rooms one imagines in an old world estate, renovated and updated to please newer generations –including a library, billiards room, grand parlor, ballroom, etc. Of particular note for us were the brilliantly appointed, spacious bedrooms –and bathrooms- the sumptuous bed linens and canopied beds, the fireplace in the room, the wonderful array of spa services (I was not surprised to learn that my masseuse was a transplant from the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in DC –one of my very favorites) and great meals the whole weekend. And how nice it was that many meals boasted fresh fruits and vegetables from the resort’s onsite garden, which is visible from one of the back terraces. I was forced to rethink my diet momentarily, when I tasted my friend’s delectable vegan offerings on several occasions throughout the weekend, especially the soy (I think) “scrambled eggs”, the vegan chocolate croissants, and the tasty tempeh sausage. The entire staff throughout the hotel jumped to satisfy our every request, with a smile and an old-fashioned “yes, m’am” and, while the service during the busier meals was a bit slow, we were hard-pressed to complain, as we settled into civility and enjoyed a nice sparkling wine, which the waiter recommended, and, at least once, indulged in an endemic “Virginia Julep” cocktail made with VA bourbon and fresh mint leaves from the resort garden. We enjoyed exquisitely-prepared dishes that delighted our palates without fail all weekend (among them, striped bass and sea scallop selections and freshly-baked beignets better than any on the planet, including NOLA). We were able to chat with the chef twice and were tickled to discover he was none other than Todd Gray of DC’s Equinox Restaurant (would not have recognized him but for his name tag)…….For us, the many comfortable seating areas throughout the grounds where we could just sit and enjoy the countryside were also quite special, as were the thoughtful details of the evening “turn-downs”. The low-key (pardon), tasteful musical backdrop all weekend, including the lovely pianist in the drawing room, added to the disarmingly warm elegance of what we have ordained our “eastcoast Shangri-La”. We are gleeful to now have an alternative to the predictably bland, high-end chain hotels we often settle for when a getaway is needed - at a competitive, reasonable for the product, cost. We have yet to fully savor all that the new Salamander Resort in the charming town of Middleburg has to offer -including the local boutique shopping and the hiking trails at the resort. The two and a half days we spent there at the end of August left us wanting more. I vow to return as the trees turn color this fall. Maybe I’ll even write another review then. Writing this was a nice way to memorialize this special last weekend of our summer!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Wow! What an incredible review. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share in great detail the fabulous experience you had at Salamander Resort. Your attention to detail and appreciation for our amenities and local touches makes our day! With a personal as well traveled as we are sure you are it really does mean a lot to hear how much you enjoyed our dining, spa, equestrian, activities etc. We would be honored to welcome you back very soon, ( the leaves will start to turn colors shortly!) Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had a nice lunch at the Gold Cup Wine Bar, intriguing menu with unusual dishes reflecting many influences, with really nice hunt country atmosphere, gift shop, library lounge, and plenty of windows to enjoy the countryside which was beautifully sunny for us. After lunch we took a peek at the spa, at the Harriman Restaurant, culinary garden and stables in a field nearby. It is possible for guests to stroll into the town a mile away, which has plenty to explore. The staff was particularly cheerful and helpful, and there were plenty of guests enjoying themselves. The Wine Bar's wait staff was a little slow, but will certainly get their stride in a few months.

Room Tip: Let them know if you want a king bed or a queen.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
We thank you for taking time to share your comments and excitement regarding your recent visit to Salamander Resort and Gold Cup Wine Bar. We hope you are able to come back for a visit soon!
Bethesda, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My review is based on total experience, quality control and their response to damage control. As a business woman with a very successful business that is based on quality control, this resort scored an F in terms of bottom line. It is all about the details, perfection is in the details, and a hotel that charges a 5 star price, offering a one star customer service is NOT acceptable, SORRY.
I always travel somewhere for my birthday and mostly travel outside the country. I know that USA is lacking in overall hospitality business but I have stayed in many USA hotels and have received excellent service and attention.
First let me start by saying that I was very excited in going to this resort, I have never ridden a horse and did the first time on my birthday. I feel more horrible because I was the one that insisted to my hubby that I really wanted to go to this resort.
Once we got to the resort, I was impressed with the feel of the hotel and the look
The property is a gorgeous I absolutely fell in love with the room and restroom. They were nicely furnished.
That’s as good as it gets and it starts to go downhill.
1) First, once we settled into our room, I realized that we do not have bath/ shower gel and slippers and we had to call for that, then they brought the shower gel but told us they ran out of the slippers, okay? I said.
2) They called us to reschedule the time of oOnur dinner reservation my hubby made over a week. Mind you, My husband spoke to a human and specifically told them that we are there for my birthday, he told everyone that could hear… from the horse ride booking to massage, to my actual birthday dinner! We were like okay, not such a big deal to move our dinner from 7pm to 8:30pm
3) A night before my birthday, we had quick dinner at the bar and the drink that was served to me had bug in it, really?? Please check people’s drink before offering it to them.
4) On my birthday, I started with massage. The therapist had no knowledge of my birthday, really? I honestly not looking for attention but I feel like he should have been told. When I stayed at Trumps Hotel in Miami for my birthday last two years, om the massage therapist to the aesthetician acknowledged it. The therapist was great, one of my best massage ever but unfortunately he alone can’t make me come back.
During horse riding, none of the staff mentioned about my birthday. The lady was asking, I heard it’s someone birthday, how hard is it to communicate and know who the person is, after all we use our names when booking appointment and it’s only four of us doing horse ride.
My dinner nightmare: We got to our dinner reservation and were told they do not have availability and we had to wait for 15 to 20 minutes. We finally got a table. During the en tire dinner, NO ONE mentioned about my birthday.
My husband decided to give them our feedback and of coarse, they brought me some cupcakes and piece of note like seriously? I expected them to give us some discount or something. Horrible damage control.
On the day we checked out, we received a letter reminding me of my massage appointment which was so clumsy.
Unfortunately, I will not be visiting this place again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Salamander Resort & Spa. I sincerely apologize for the challenges during your stay. If you would please reach out to me, I would be happy to research the shortfalls you encountered. You can reach me directly via e-mail at chover@salamanderhotels.com. I look forward to being of assistance.
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I am in the luxury hotel business and have opened a new property before. Because of this, I very rarely will try a place in the first few months of opening. I made an exception with Salamander because I had an occasion that warranted such a property. To be honest, there were some rough edges on the service in several areas, but frankly, the overall service was better than I expected for only being open a week. Those individuals that had a little trouble still had a great attitude - friendly, warm, and most importantly, you could tell they cared and were trying. I'll give someone a pass any day in this situation. Now that I have that out of the way - the grounds and facility are beautiful. Well manicured, clean and comfortable. Our room was a suite on the Autumn (4th) floor and was beautifully decorated and spotless. The bed was comfortable, the shower good, the bath products very nice. The food in Harriman's was excellent - we had the onion soup and gnocchi to start, and both were very good. Strip steak and lentil stew for the mains were also excellent. Last but not least - the spa is amazing. Incredible, extensive facility - had a couples treatment - Kerry delivered a great massage, and my wife loved her facial. We will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Salamander H, Manager at Salamander Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
From one Hotelier to another, thank you for that warm review. We appreciate the support and acknowledgement of our staffs genuine care for the guest experience. We hope to welcome you and your wife back very soon.
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Let's stop piling on the Salamander Resort for service problems during its opening Labor Day weekend. As many reviewers have mentioned, we've also stayed in many fine resorts around the world, and we are certain that the Salamander Resort will be one of them. We spent two nights there over the Labor Day holiday. We witnessed the problems with the kitchen and the inexperienced staff that others have noted, but all these problems can and certainly will be fixed. With respect to the staff, all those we met were very proud and happy to be working there and said wonderful things about Ms. Johnson. The experience will come and the problems will disappear. The staff energy and enthusiasm is more valuable than perfection at this point.

Ms. Johnson has spent a reported $130 million to build what all agree is a stunning, tasteful resort. It's 20 minutes from our home, and we plan to be there many times over the next decade. When everything is functioning perfectly, I hope we run into Ms. Johnson and Mr. Perm Devadas (President of Salamander Hotels and Resorts). After complimenting them we'll mention that we were there for the opening over Labor Day weekend in 2013. I expect that we will share a good laugh.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are so happy that you joined us for our big opening!
Conestoga, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

They only opened a couple of days before we began our stay so we expected some bumps. The pet policy needs to be reviewed. Some people are stuck with hiring "pet sitters at the rate of $40-$50 an hour to have someone sit with your pet while you go to eat dinner. Not a great thing if you are used to traveling with your pet and know that they will be fine in their crates while you are away. Maybe this should be an option instead of a have to .
The place is outstanding and everyone was very helpful. I would give them a couple of months to work out the bumps of a new hotel then try them again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I have mentioned your suggestions about our Pet Program (PAWS) to our staff. We hope to welcome you (and your pets) back to the resort soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

First, the resort is beautiful. The landscaping immaculate. I also found out that they are very dog friendly so next time we'll bring the dogs. We went for dinner approximately two weeks after the resort opened. All the staff members we encountered were extremely friendly, helpful and professional. The food was great, service superb, couldn't have asked for a better evening. Will definitely return. There is a large patio area outside that overlooks the grounds. So even if you don't stay at the hotel, it's a great place to just get away from the city and relax. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review!

Been to Salamander Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!