“corporate and touristy wine destination, but a good view” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 23 things to do in Middleburg
WashingtonDC
77 attraction reviews
“corporate and touristy wine destination, but a good view”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

My partner and I went to Cana Vineyards and Winery one weekend, and overall, I was disappointed with this place, which felt like more of a tourist trap than a destination winery.

We were here with a larger group, so we were shuttled upstairs to a tasting. The place was packed, and there was a live guitarist playing songs on the loudspeaker. The best part about this place is its location, because from the deck you can see so much of the surrounding landscape and rolling hills. Beautiful.

The wine tasting itself was pointless. This is a brand-new winery, so they don't make any of their own wine or grow their own grapes. What is the point of going here to get wine instead of just going to a Kroger? Cana just buys excess grapes from elsewhere and makes wine here. I understand they have to wait a few years to get grapes, but why are they going full steam ahead with "Cana" wines when they actually have nothing to do with the grapes you see on the property? Of course I realize that a lot of wineries buy and sell their own grapes to be used on a different label, but not exclusively. What is the point of having a standalone winery? And really, the wines are not even good. Our entire group bought no wines, and we were inclined to buy something.

This whole place is rushed. It seems very corporate, with huge areas for shopping and tasting and all this kind of stuff. There's no intimacy about this winery. It's more run like machine and a restaurant than a winery where you can talk to winemakers or people who are knowledgeable about wine. The person who did our tasting is not someone that seemed to have a very expensive knowledge base regarding wine.

I definitely don't recommend a trip to Cana Vineyards and Winery. After I went there, I realized that it's busy because it's right off the main road. It's the kind of place where you want some wine and then decide to come here because it looks pretty. Good marketing, bad wine.

Palm Harbor, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Wonderful Evening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

On the way back from Middleburg, my friend and I stopped in to Cana for a tasting. She lives in Arlington, and had been meaning to get to Cana, and used my visit as the perfect excuse. We had a tasting with a very fun and knowledgeable staffer. We then decided to purchase a glass of wine and sit out on the aidorandack chairs on the lawn and listen to the live Celtic music. It was a lovely afternoon and evening, with families picnicking, folks strolling about, listening to the band, etc. I wish we would have been able to stay longer. My friend is going to go back with her family and have a picnic at one of the nice shaded tables on the lawn. This is also a great place for events (there was a corporate gathering going on when we were there). I would highly recommend a stop at Cana. Make an evening out of it on a Friday night when they are open later.

Keyser, West Virginia
11 attraction reviews
“Excellent facility, Friendly and knowledgeable staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful views and a great facility. Wine tasting was very good, with knowledgeable and personable staff. A bit disappointing that they are not using any of their own grapes yet, but I guess everyone has to start somewhere. We didn't really find a wine that suited us, but we did get a nice pair of tasting glasses as souvenirs.

Reston, Virginia, USA
“View to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Wonderful view, very friendly staff, plenty of room outside. Kids and pets friendly. The only annoying thing is some guys making horrible noise who call them-selves "live music". Luckily they get tired fast and take long breaks to let you enjoy your visit.

Visited May 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
21 attraction reviews
“Lovely setting, nice people, dog friendly, wine not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Everyone's palate is different, and unfortunately, mine didn't care for the wines at Cana. It's a new winery, so the wines they poured are from grapes purchased from Virginia and California.
While I didn't care for the wine, the location, tasting room and hospitality were wonderful.
It's very close to Middleburg's main street, so very convenient to visit.

Visited May 2014