“Great new and growing winery” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 15 Activities in Middleburg
Type: Wineries, Food & Drink
Honolulu, HI
“Great new and growing winery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is a breath-taking winery with some excellent wines to offer. Definitely still in the new to the wine making business, they are making their own wines and have been for a couple years with the help of Chrysalis across the street (the two wineries being so close together makes them a wonderful pair to visit in a single outing!)

The staff is super friendly and helpful. The wines range from excellent to good. I spoke with the owner a couple of times and he has a real passion for wine and wanted to create this first class facility for people to enjoy VA wine at. I think that it is a must visit.

Of all the wineries that I have visited in VA (49), this one had the best baguette and some wonderful cheeses to pair with their very good wines.

I usually do not care for the fruit wines.....but the Apple and Apple/Raspberry wines here were so good, that my wife and I bought a number to feature at a gathering of neighbors that we are planning for the following weekend. That said....I really enjoyed their Viognier, Cab Franc, Traminette, Chambourcin and Rkatsiteli (which I had never heard of until here).

We brought two of our children (9 and 14) who had a wonderful time on the large lawn through frisbees. The upstairs is no children, both inside and on the deck, so it is friendly both for those who want to bring family and those who want a break.

This is a wonderful winery that will just get better with age!

Visited September 2013

Fairfax
“Don't Waste Your Time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

What a HUGE disappointment. Someone with some investment money jumped on the winery "bandwagon" and failed to do an ounce of homework and assumed a beautiful pole barn with some porches will cover for their inexperience. First, they have no vines in maturity and buy their wine off the shelf and relabel it. Their costs must be almost retail because starting price for a bottle of their below average wines is north of $22 dollars and tastings are around $10 a person for what amounts to a half glass of wine. Whats more, they didn't even stop and think that their wines might be chilled in ice, so they missed winery-bandwagon 101 that advises waterproof labels.....anyway, that's the petty stuff.

We went out on a beautiful afternoon to try the place out and found a seat on the deck after unloading almost $100 on their gimmicky bread, hummus and cheese baskets and some of their relabeled Manischewitz. And older gentleman whom I believe was a manager or partner came over to a friend and astutely avoided typical hospitality industry questions such as "how is everything?" or "are you guys enjoying your day?" "anything that I can get for you?" and went right for "If he makes noise, you'll have to leave this deck" to a friend of mine with a newborn heavily asleep in a carrier.

I'll admit that I silently cheer management intervention when a child is unruly or inconsolable in confined areas, but this sharp preemptive grunt about an infant-solidly unconscious in an outdoor setting while its parents and their friends were smearing $13 hummus on hunks of hard bread and drinking...well....what were we drinking? The dessicated label was all over the table and ice bucket...

In summary, you'd be better served by dropping in on someone who really only tolerates you during the workday, offering to buy their old cooking wine at 2x retail and sitting on their porch while they keep walking by to see if you've left yet.

Visited September 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Wonderful experience...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I would recommend Cana in a heartbeat. I see a lot of negative reviews when it comes to the tastings, and I cannot agree or disagree because we never did the tasting. We bought a bottle of wine and a basket which included a baguette, 1 cheese, 1 meat, and 1 spread. All options were great and what we picked was delicious. So much that we ended up getting another baguette to finish the cheese and spread. We also really enjoyed the wine. We sat outside, where there is plenty of seating, and the setting was beyond perfect. The view was beautiful (can't wait to see it during the fall), and music on the background. We had children with us and they kept themselves entertained with all the space they had to run around in while us 4 adults were able to enjoy and have a conversation. The place is very well kept. I did notice they had a few tasting areas and not just one crammed bar. The owner even came up to us and started a kind conversation, which I found to be very nice. The only thing I was slightly unimpressed about was their entrance. We couldn't figure out where to walk in from the parking (as there were no signs), and your points of entry from the parking are not at all impressive compared to the place. It's just a grass path you have to find in between cars or a walk down the driveway. Both make you feel like you're entering through the back door instead of a grand entrance. But all in all, we had a great time and are looking forward to going back.

Visited August 2013
Chantilly, Virginia
“Terrific Up and Coming Virginia Winery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I live nearby and my wife and I have really enjoyed the beautiful tasting room and view from the upper balcony. If you are in the area I would recommend a stop here.

Visited August 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
52 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking views, but inconsistent wine”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

The view is lovely. You can sit on the veranda for hours and unwind with a glass of wine. But, at this point in time, get the wine elsewhere. The winery has to work out some kinks to produce more consistent products. It was better in the winter than now. I was a little embarrassed to have taken a friend there as a first impression of Virginia wine.

Visited July 2013