“Great, Cozy Spot!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Vermont
“Great, Cozy Spot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This was a great spot tucked around a corner with sensational food and great service. The bar area in partuclar is very cozy with low ceilings, a few couches, tables and barstools. The owners are charismatic and welcoming and we look forward to coming back soon!

Visited April 2012

Baltimore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We arrived without a reservation at 5:30 on a cold rainy Sunday. The
restaurant was empty yet they sat us 5 feet from the door that opened directly on the cold air. I ordered a walnut gorgonzola salad; a different salad came. When I pointed that out to the waitress, she said that we were wrong. Happily, she returned from the kitchen having looked at the order pad and admitted that she was wrong.
Another appetizer - parmesan french fries - was lukewarm and soggy. I ordered a 10 oz filet mignon medium rare. I got two 5 oz pieces - one an inch thick and done right, another piece less than a half inch thick and very well done. The second piece didn't even taste like filet.
The waitress wasn't attentive at all to our water glasses . . When a meal for four - with 2 tiny glasses of port and no dessert - comes to $127 pre-tip - you hope for something better. Some of the food was fine, but when I pointed out the thin overdone piece of filet mignon, I sort of hoped she'd take it off the bill or bring out a better piece.
Very disappointing experience.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Middleburg, VA
“Very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I've seen spotty reviews of the place, but in the 10 or so times I've been, I've never had anything less than a very good meal. The atmosphere is warm and friendly, the staff are clever and the food is good. It's not The Inn at Little at Little Washington, but neither are it's prices.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Tiny but generally satisfying”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My spouse took me to Fox's Den for a birthday dinner. It was our first visit to the restaurant under this ownership. Located in the "capital of Hunt Country" the restaurant is below ground under a retail building on the main street. You enter from a parking area on the side of the building. Our entrance into the restaurant was actually not promising for a restaurant of this caliber, as for the cold weather they had us come in through a side entrance that looked as though it was really a kitchen service area. But once we were greeted by the hostess things immediately perked up. The restaurant is very cozy and intimate, in the colonial style with low ceilings. The lighting was candle-type and very flattering to ladies, making it feel right for a special occasion! The dining area is split into several small rooms and there is a small bar. White cloths on the tables and cloth napkins. Food is not inexpensive but everything was very tasty, beginning with a specialty salad with walnuts and gorgonzola ($8) and a butternut squash soup ($9, could have been a touch hotter but tasted lovely). Several wines are available by the glass and there is a full bar. For entrees we had a small filet ($22, but one of the best I've had recently) and a lemon chicken (small serving but excellent flavor). Side dishes included zucchini cooked just right, with au gratin potatoes for me and mashed for the spouse. (We saw other diners enjoying nightly specials including salmon crepes and swordfish as well as a sausage and bean soup). The bread served by the slice with the meal was crusty and warm. Dessert was a dense but very chocolately and not-too-sweet chocolate mousse. Service was relaxed but attentive and professional. (However, our server did not ask if we wanted another drink from the bar or coffee with our dessert. As my spouse says, maybe she figured we'd spent enough.) Overall, an enjoyable and tasty dinner in a very nice intimate atmosphere. Under previous owners one of the tables had a sign saying that Jackie Onassis used to sit at that table. The sign is gone now but that would still be a nice table for an evening out. Note: not really a good restaurant for large groups or claustrophobes.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Alexandria, Virginia
“Parents with small children need not enter”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I must confess that I did not eat at the Fox's Den Tavern. I was not able to. They would not seat us because we had a small child with us. It was the 4th of July, and they were pretty much the only restaurant open in Middleburg-yet they still had plenty of seating available. When we went inside, a waiter told my wife that they did not have highchairs or booster seats, no children’s menu and they did not have room for strollers. Then, he proceeded to make other suggestions for other restaurants that might be more appropriate for us, as if we were lepers. My wife then asked, “So then, you would prefer if we went and ate somewhere else?” To which he replied, “Well, yes!” Then he proceeded to turn his back and walk away. When I asked to speak to the manager/owner, the owner’s response was that, “well, I didn’t say anything, but we don’t allow strollers.” Well, thank you for your consideration and for not calling the Police. Message received loud and clear, no small children allowed…but, they do allow dogs, like the one lounging with its owner on their back patio!

Visited July 2011