“boxwood, a hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Reston, Virginia
8 attraction reviews
“boxwood, a hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Boxwood winery in Middleburg has a state of the art museum style tasting room with rooms to see a typical cave and barrels, a small lab, and access to the tanks used. It is unlike the other local wineries in that it does not cater to picnics and children, so it is really for adult wine tasters. It also focuses on reds and really no whites - the wines are for the educated palate. Excellent wine and knowledgeable staff.

Visited June 2014

Alexandria, Virginia
19 attraction reviews
“Good Wine, Not Dog Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very cool tasting room -- very modern with touches of stone. Tons of outdoor space with tables and umbrellas. Very close to Middleburg's main street, it's hard not to stop. Unlike many of the wineries, it's not dog friendly :(. We took turns tasting and sitting with the dogs in the air conditioned Jeep. Obviously we'll make sacrifices for our dogs and wine. :)

Visited May 2014
Woodbridge, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
“Bordeaux Wines in a Modern Setting”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Pros: Great area, Bordeaux style wines, Unique Winery/Tasting Room, Friendly server
Cons: Only Bordeaux style wines, Average Service, cost

Boxwood winery is a winery located in the country side of Middleburg, VA. Part of a wine area, with several wineries located near by, Boxwood stands out with it's picturesque landscape surrounding the winery and modern design. Owned by John Kent Cooke, some may know him as former owner of the Redskins, began back in 2004 with the first vine, 2005 opening, 2006 first harvest, now rests on 170 acres, 70 of which are in production.

As drove by the vines and fields surrounding the vineyard and winery, I couldn't help but get the feeling that I was actually in wine country. Passing many signs for wineries, I kept pushing to this winery as it was recommended by another for it's unique style and wines. The road leading the winery was beautiful and I can only imagine what it looks like during the summer and fully green.

The winery is a modern looking building, far beyond any other design I've seen for a winery and tasting room. The exterior however does hint to you on what to expect on the inside. The interior is just as modern with concrete, stainless steel, and interior designs, even the restroom is modern. They also had a self guided tour set up with their barrel, production, and other areas of the winery.

I was met by Kelly, she was very friendly and provided a good tasting. Some of the other staff didn't seem as friendly so I was glad to get Kelly. I would say service isn't top notch but I enjoyed my experience.

John Kent Cooke appears to have based his wines off his preference towards Red Bordeaux style wines. I tasted five red wines, along with a 2010 version which apparently is almost sold out, for an expensive $10 for the tasting with moderate pours. I felt the wines were fairly good, although a majority of them being 2011 and light in flavor, the 2009s were full of flavor. I don't believe they provide any food, although I didn't think to ask at the time.

Overall, I would like to recommend this winery, BUT there are a lot of factors that may not be right for everyone. It's beautiful drive and area makes for a scenic day, and the modern design of the winery makes for a unique atmosphere and setting unlike most wineries. The winery is a little small for much larger groups but I believe they have a events location or room which was mentioned but not seen. The wines are pretty good if you favor Bordeaux style wines or red wines in general. Stop by if you're in the area, I think most people will enjoy it.

Area: 4.5
Atmosphere: 3
Service: 3.5
Wines: 3.5
Overall: 3.5

Visited March 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
“Friendly Staff - Unique Winery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Visited late in the day on 2/22/14. The place was almost empty although it was a beautiful day. It was close to closing, but the staff was very friendly and didn't seem at all annoyed that we were closing them down. The winery is very modern with a lot of glass and stainless steel - definitely a different look from most of the VA wineries. The have open viewing of the fermenters, the barrel room and the bottling room, so there was a little to see before we did a tasting.

They only make reds in the bordeaux style. We tasted five wines - two Trellis vintages and three Boxwood vintages. They were all decent - we liked the 2010 Boxwood the best. The pours were somewhat small but we had five tastings and got to keep the glasses for $10, so it isn't out of line with other wineries. There is a nice patio out front, although it isn't quite as scenic as some other wineries. The friendliness of the staff, however, made it a place I would recommend to others.

Visited February 2014
wv4x4
9 attraction reviews
“Go West My Friends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

There are much better wineries west of Middleburg. My suggestion would be to pass this winery and keep driving west. Not much to be desired here except if you just wanted to pick up a bottle of wine for dinner. The wines didnt taste bad but nothing stood out.

Visited October 2013