“Good Food in a Good "Joint"” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Washington DC
“Good Food in a Good "Joint"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The Red Horse Tavern is what I would categorize as a neighborhood "joint." Nothing fancy and it shows its years of sitting on the main drag in Middleburg. Pretty nice to fine an unpretentious place in the middle of horse country with good food and reasonable prices! The popular outdoor seating was taken so we sat inside. I would say that if the weather is nice and you don't mind a wait, outside has a better vibe. On this day, a long wait and rather a lot of motorcycles cruising the street made inside more appealing. I had a chicken Panini and chips and hubby had a grilled shrimp sub. Both were good, reasonably priced and served in a timely fashion. Service can range from prompt and friendly to "where did that waiter go?" --- which is surprising in such a small place. Outdoors perhaps. Patio is pet friendly as is much of Middleburg which I think has more dogs per square mile than any place I've ever been. We enjoyed our quick lunch here and would recommend it.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

VA
“Great tavern in a cool town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We were exploring Middleburg, Virginia, because we'd never been there before. By chance and the look of the place on a nice day, people on the deck and street tables we chose the Red Horse Tavern. Turned out to be a good choice.
We shared a great Rueben and especially enjoyed the handmade potato chips with just a little old bay type seasoning on them. The beer selection is good too.
The town and the tavern are worth the trip. I'm sure there are more good restaurants in Middleburg, but that is next trip.

Visited May 2014
Winchester, Virginia
“Good food & outdoor seating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We tried this place on Sunday. Most restaurants in the area close around 3 pm on Sunday, but this place was open. We really liked the food. I had a chicken panini with fries, which I thought was delicious. Their fry portion is very small, though. We really enjoyed eating outside. They are also pet friendly on the patio, which is a plus for us. We'll definitely be going back!

San Antonio, Texas
“great quick lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We grabbed a quick lunch here and at outside on the deck. Great beer selection, but I didn't care for the wine they served. Very dog friendly and good service.

Visited April 2014
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
“Could be much better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stopped for lunch at the Red Horse Tavern recently for lunch with my parents. We sat outdoors to enjoy the nice weather, and ordered a bruschetta as appetizer to share, as well as a wrap, a quesadilla and pasta, coffee and dessert for one. Check with taxes before tips $60.

Food was mediocre. My quesadilla with beef made with low quality cheese and the meat totally bland (it felt as if it had been boiled instead of grilled). Service was extremely slow, having to ask for a menu three times before getting one, and waiting for a long time for our food. The place wasn't full and there were at least three or four servers outside. Busboys were clueless delivering plates to the wrong tables.

A real shame because it's a nice spot to stop and eat outdoors in MIddleburg.

• Visited April 2014