“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Red Fox Inn & Tavern

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Middleburg
The Red Fox Inn & Tavern
2 East Washington Street, PO Box 385, Middleburg, VA 20118   |
Special Deal
$25 Off Dinner!
Ranked #5 of 8 Middleburg B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We just stayed at The Red Fox Inn last week for the first time ever. The Inn is ideally located for strolling around Middleburg which is full of fun little shops. As horse people, we really enjoyed the horsey flavor to everything in town. The staff at the Inn was very welcoming. Since I had previewed the room online before booking, there were no surprises. We had a two room suite on the fourth floor of the main building. They offered to take our bags up all those stairs but we opted to do it ourselves for the exercise. I might rethink that on future visits. The room was nicely appointed. Unlike some of the reviews I read, our room was very fresh and clean. The carpets were new and the furnishings were appropriately antiquey... The bedding was nice but the pillows and mattress were lacking. We have a fabulous bed at home so I have never found a hotel bed to my liking, so others might be fine with it. We ate in the restaurant for dinner. While it was expensive (nearly $200 for two people) we did order a lot of food, and everything we had was absolutely divine. I mean I ate some things I generally would say I don't eat (like cauliflower) and it was fantastic. Our server was pleasant and helpful. She was very busy and some of the service was a bit uneven, especially the beverage delivery, but the atmosphere, wonderful food and interesting people made up for any minor flaws. We will be back.

Room Tip: Preview each room online, they are all different.

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Red Fox Inn is a charming inn in the lovely little town of Middleburg. The location of the inn can't be beat as it is right on the main street of Middleburg and smack dab in the heart of town near shops and restaurants. The overall feel of the inn, especially the restaurant, is very warm, cozy and historic. However, there are a few things that are lacking. We stayed in room 26 in the Stray Fox which is an outbuilding near the main inn. The room was very nice, but the mattress on the bed was atrocious. We both woke up with sore necks and backs. It is one of those mattresses that is so soft (but not in a good way) that you sink into the bed, and when the other person moves even a fraction of an inch you feel like there is a major earthquake in the bed. It was truly awful. Also, the pillows were not good. (I admit am a bit of a bed snob--from pillows to sheets to mattresses.) Also, I had an issue with the breakfast, which is included with the room. We looked online and saw the very nice menu. However, when we arrived at the restaurant for breakfast we were given a little card with three options. Apparently guests at the hotel have three choices, but if you are not a guest at the hotel and go to the restaurant for breakfast you can order off a very nice menu. Not a good way to treat their guests, I think! I saw lovely plates of French toast, eggs benedict with crab, etc. pass our way, but those options were not available to us unless we paid for them. Very disappointing. I did mention this to the woman who seated us and expressed our disappointment (after all, it was not made clear on their website when I booked the room that we would have a very limited breakfast menu) and she was kind enough to let us order off the regular menu. However, the next day she said we could not because the restaurant was serving brunch. Also, when we checked in the girl checking us in wrote on the little map (the one we were given to lead us to our room in the Stray Fox building) the time for breakfast. 8am-10:30am. When we arrived for breakfast at 9:40am on our second day, which was a Sunday, we were told that breakfast for guests ended at 9:30am. Our waitress was nice and said she would still serve us, but we were a bit put off being told we were late. I double checked the sheet and sure enough, it said 8am-10:30am. The girl who checked us in failed to tell us that breakfast hours were different on Sundays. When I mentioned this to the front desk upon check out, they offered a very bland apology.
All in all, it was a very nice stay at a charming inn, but there were a few negative aspects.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Salisbury, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed in the Furness Suite in the Stray Fox Building. Laid out a bit odd, have to watch the low ceilings in a few places, but overall a great room. Very Quiet while we were there, even though they were sold out. Breakfast's were great. Would definitely stay there again!!!

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We overall had a wonderful time. Outstanding dinner at the Inn!!!! Great breakfast!!!

Things to note about room that did not meet what one would expect of a very expensive multi star hotel.
1. Lightbulb missing from table lamp. 2.Had an ice bucket but no glasses to go with it. 3. Water bottles in room but no glasses. 4. Quality of antique furniture good but accessorries like lamps (cheap lamps from Walmart??), plastic flowers and old rug made the place look cheap.

VERY EXPENSIVE for what you got. Would suggest something esle on Breakfast menu besides three choices of egg dishes. Maybe Waffles or French Toast?

I was a witness to two different but equally unhappy guest talking with the lady at the front desk. One family was requesting a change of room because their toilet was broken and could not be looked at by a plummer until 8PM or later (it was already early evening and they just finished dinner and were ready to retire to their room). They wanted a new room. She offered them a bigger suite but told them they had to pay the difference. The question that we were all thinking was "Why should they have to pay for the upgrade because of the hotels' broken toilet?" I was shocked that a REALLY NICE hotel would insist on that. The hotel should appologize and gladly offer and upgrade to compensate. That hurt the hotel more. They did finally get an equial size room but at another location down the street.
The other family had to be moved to another room as well. I do not know why just that they were not happy. I saw them an hour later and they were still not happy with new room. Theses are just impressions but, when you have a tiny lobby room full of people seeing and listening to these transactions, it makes one question what they have and leaves a bad taste. Good hotel lot of unhappy guests.
Overall we had a great time.

Room Tip: Look at room before accepting it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Cute and quaint. Small LCD TV in room
2 very small waters upon check in and no where in town after Safeway closes to get more so had to keep refilling in sink (bring water is my point)
Staid in the Jefferson Suite - the most economical of the rooms by having a shared bath in the hallway. Room was perfect size although the bed was full size- bit small for wife and I.
Very loud and creaky floors especially with neighboring guests on all sides. Colonial kind of loud mind you.
Glasses in restaurant smelled like old water.
Service not extremely friendly but it was early - although breakfast is included.
Go eat at Hunters Head 7 miles west on 50- soooo worth it. Ayrshire farms runs it and is all local non GMO livestock and food. Insanely excellent and moderate pricing. Best in area and always busy so make a reservation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Large rooms, appointed with antiques, comfy 4 poster bed. Food was delicious.could have used a small fridge. We were part of a wedding party. I would recommend the Inn for events. Staff were very professional and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012
East Coaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband, daughter and I made reservations at the Red Fox Inn in Middleburg for a weekend wedding, which was held in another bed and breakfast close by. The Inn is lovely on the outside - as is all of Middleburg - but we were disappointed by the rooms. Positives: comfortable beds, great full breakfast in the main part of the inn, terrific walkable setting. Negatives: very expensive, cheap furnishings and carpeting, old bathroom fixtures. I travel 80% of the time on business and stay in lots of hotels, good and not so good, so I think my expectations are pretty reasonable. I am also a native Virginian and pre-disposed to cut anyplace in my home state some slack. Even with both of these considerations, the Red Fox Inn just didn't measure up to the price tag. It could be so much better!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Red Fox Inn & Tavern? Share your experiences!